PDA

View Full Version : Safety Girl!

MuranoSilver
28-04-2010, 05:51 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/4561159870_0d25e42f94.jpg
Soldering, Lead Enamels, Acid Fumes....A girls gotta do, what a girls gotta do!!
Today I got my new upgraded face mask from Rio Grande - it's much more comfortable
than the fabric dust particle filters and easier to breathe through too!
Thank you 3M for making the P100 filter PINK :<3:

Are you taking precautions when jewellery making? If so what do you use?

Nic xx

Gemma
28-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Looking good Nic!!

mizgeorge
28-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Goodness Nic, do you actually wear that? Or is it to satisfy an H&S regulation because of the shop?

caroleallen
28-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Or is it some sort of fetish?!

Di Sandland
28-04-2010, 10:17 PM
nah, it's a new diet - can't eat jaffa cakes with that on yer face

vsilvered
28-04-2010, 10:27 PM
I have an assortment of eyewear...

1. For dealing with anything that might be sharp/hot that could endanger my face/eyes.
2. Used when sanding greenware, dealing with anything ultra smelly like LoS or anything that has the possibility of giving off noxious fumes. I'm going to start some enamelling soon, it will be good for that too.
3. An ordinary pair of safety specs for minor torch work (soldering, firing metal clay), cleaning the loo.

I need to get some kiln glasses too!

http://www.turquoisefruit.com/silver/safety_masks.jpg

caroleallen
29-04-2010, 12:19 AM
nah, it's a new diet - can't eat jaffa cakes with that on yer face
That might work Di. I must try it!

MuranoSilver
29-04-2010, 07:12 AM
Looking good Nic!!
Lol - Thanks Gemma (need some pink shadow to match)

Goodness Nic, do you actually wear that? Or is it to satisfy an H&S regulation because of the shop?
I actually bought two, one in small for me and one in medium for students to use (especially those with Asthma etc). Unless I'm teaching I have wore a fabric dust mask for sanding silver clay and working with enamels, but it wasn't very comfortable and did tend to make my glasses fog up.
It's now part of my teaching process to explain about ventilation when making things especially when firing silver clay, enamelling, working with etchants etc.
God only gave me one pair of lungs so I'm trying to look after them :Y:

I have an assortment of eyewear...
1. For dealing with anything that might be sharp/hot that could endanger my face/eyes.
2. Used when sanding greenware, dealing with anything ultra smelly like LoS or anything that has the possibility of giving off noxious fumes. I'm going to start some enamelling soon, it will be good for that too.
3. An ordinary pair of safety specs for minor torch work (soldering, firing metal clay), cleaning the loo.
I need to get some kiln glasses too!
http://www.turquoisefruit.com/silver/safety_masks.jpg
Vi - No2 looks like the mask I've just bought, is there a Uk supplier you'd recommend?
Nic xx

Fi Wilson
29-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Nic, do you do the breathing noises like Darth Vader as well as looking like him? May the 3M force be with you!!!

Emerald
29-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Gosh if its that dangerous there will be some EU law banning it soon!

geti-titanium
29-04-2010, 07:59 AM
I t looks a little bit extreme but safety is important

vsilvered
29-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Vi - No2 looks like the mask I've just bought, is there a Uk supplier you'd recommend?
Nic xx

Hmm... I got mine this year from Davros Online (http://www.davronline.co.uk/catalogue/respiratory-masks) and had no problems with them, other than them sending me a different mask from the one I'd ordered as it had been discontinued... however they did phone me up to tell me this, giving me an option to cancel the order if I so desired.

I imagine that there must be other UK suppliers of these types of masks as I think hospitals and facilities that deal with infectious bio nasties use them.

I'd like to use them again, but will in future phone them first to make sure that what they have listed online is actually in stock and ready to ship.

sonia
29-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't wear anything while I'm doing jewellery work - maybe I should? But I do wear glasses now when I clean the loo - I had bleach splash back in my eyes a couple of years ago and was very close to losing the sight in one eye - makes you think differently about it!

Sonia
x

MuranoSilver
29-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Nic, do you do the breathing noises like Darth Vader as well as looking like him? May the 3M force be with you!!!
Lol -Nope the breathings pretty easy, but we did have fun re-enacting one of the Dr Who episodes.....
"Are you my Mummy??" :D

Gosh if its that dangerous there will be some EU law banning it soon!
With proper ventilation (and by that I mean a working extractor hood) then I wouldn't be in a face mask,
but as I work from home in a listed cottage then the best I can manage is dilution ventilation,
(which is where you open two windows to create a through draught past you).
I'm very careful about what I breathe in as I'm a chemically sensitive type of person...

I t looks a little bit extreme but safety is important
Yep it is, but probably good for the new wave of "steam punk" fashion too
just waiting for them to hit the catwalk ;)
Nic xx

MuranoSilver
29-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks Vi!

I don't wear anything while I'm doing jewellery work - maybe I should? But I do wear glasses now when I clean the loo - I had bleach splash back in my eyes a couple of years ago and was very close to losing the sight in one eye - makes you think differently about it!
Sonia
x
I once had a heavy bangle slip out of my tongs and splash in the safety pickle....was really glad of goggles that day!
Nic xx

Cathy at the Beach
29-04-2010, 02:20 PM

Sonia
x

I have tried this but found that I got tarnish on my "t**s"

MuranoSilver
29-04-2010, 02:57 PM
OMG - Cathy you made me snort tea out of my nose (just cleaning tea out of the keyboard)
:rofl:
Nic xx

caroleallen
29-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Ha ha Cathy!

I'm really bad about wearing any sort of protection (no comments from you Geti!). I've got all the gear but never use it. I know I'll regret it one day.

adiamore07
06-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Yes I do, but I can't concentrate on my work. I used to wear my owen hand made mask that proctet me from pollutent like dust particles.