PDA

View Full Version : Quick poll - professional photographer or DIY pics?

Jemart
27-04-2010, 05:14 PM
When you need photography for your website/brochure/printed promotional material do you use the services of a professional photographer or do you do it yourself?

What are your reasons for this?

stu_clouds
27-04-2010, 05:36 PM
hi,

im lucky my dad is a mad keen photographer so i use his skills and my godfather also does wedding photography so advice comes in handy. I bought a full photograph lighting system a few years back from springfair and we use this. I would not want to pay professional rates if im honest. I do get my brochures and leaflets professionally printed but i do the designwork.

regards

Stu

Jemart
28-04-2010, 01:50 PM
How much does that sort of lighting set-up cost as compared to getting pics done?

jewellerybymia
29-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Professional photgrapher best in my opinion, but can't afford it at the mo, so staying with DIY pics at the moment :(

Mia x

Meriwee
30-04-2010, 02:25 PM
As a buyer I really appreciate a good photo, because it's maybe the first step to sell an item. But no need of a pro: there are cheap light tent very useful to avoid unwanted reflections and to give a clean background, a couple of lamps (or lights) and some practice and you surely would achieve good results.

Cathy at the Beach
01-05-2010, 03:21 PM
I vote for diy

I use a light box and lamps I purchased pretty cheaply ($79 Can dollars for all) and a black background. While my pics are not professional- they do ok. I have photoshop but only know how to use a couple of features- levels and the bandaid thingy.
No way I could pay a photographer! I bought a little panasonic digital camera with a very good macro feature. Works pretty well.

caroleallen
01-05-2010, 05:11 PM
I've always used a professional but in these straightened times, I'm now doing my own. I went on a photography and photoshop course earlier in the year and it's paying dividends.