PDA

View Full Version : New member from Exeter, Devon

Patstone
26-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Hello, my name is Pat and I am new to this jewellery making business. Just started evening classes at my local college in the 6th week now so have started to get to grips with it a bit. Have a bit of a challenge, two years ago I lost my eye through a cataract op that went wrong, so have also lost my distance vision. It took me quite a while to be able to make a cup of tea without spilling it on the worktop, but I have got used to that, so a new challenge was jewellery making. So far I have made a ring, bracelet and a pair of earrings for my mum. Just for a laugh on me!!!! The other day I was soldering a joint on another ring I was making and I thought as it was a nice day I would do it in the conservatory, which is a bit of a mess due to having recently acquired a Labrador puppy. Well guess what, I was looking the other way and smelt burning and I had set all dog towels alight. Fortunately I was able to throw them out in the garden in time, so its just the corners that are gone, but it could have been worse. Hubby said he thinks I should change the small spare bedroom into a workshop, well he has changed his mind now.

snow_imp
26-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Welcome Pat.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the forum.

Post a picture of the pupppy and everyone will be happy - there's a pampered pets thread somewhere I think.

HannahJewelleryDesigns
26-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Hi Pat :~:
dont worry i've set myself on fire a few times! welcome to the forum!

Ominicci
26-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Hello Pat, yes we've all had accidents. I regularly saw my nails!

Gemma
26-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Sawn nails, filed fingers, rotary tool cutting disc into fingers, burns....... I dread to think what I'd be like with one eye!

:welcome: to this forum of clutzy jewellery makers Pat ;)

MuranoSilver
26-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi Pat
Welcome to the forum & hope you don't have too many more "firebug" experiences, lol
Nicola xx

Jemart
26-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Hooray! Another Exonian! Hello neighbour :)

Patstone
26-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Hello, have you been making silver jewellery long. I have recycled an old silver identity bracelet into a pendant, mainly because I have run out of things to do until the next class tomorow, but I am not sure what size wire I need to make the ring to hold the chain. Would 0.9mm be big enough?

Patstone
26-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Hi, thanks for the nice welcome. I hope I dont have any more firebug experiences too, it was a bit scary. Good job I had the doors open, not sure about converting the bedroom as a workroom tho, sounds like an accident waiting to happen. !!!!

bustagasket
26-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Welcome to the forums from me too :)

Patstone
26-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi and thanks for the nice welcome, everyone is so friendly. Well as I said in my first post, it is quite a challenge, especially when I made my first ring, which took me about four weeks because foolishly I decided it would look nice with silver balls (pardon the expression) on it, BIG MISTAKE, its bad enough trying to make them, let alone solder something round onto a flat surface. Still after lots of attempts they are well and truly stuck now.

Patstone
26-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Hi, thank you for your nice welcome too. xx

stu_clouds
26-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Welcome to the forum, you will find it very helpful and informative. I am exhibiting down in near exeter in a few weeks at the Devon County Show. Do you ever attend?

Patstone
26-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Here you are.

Bertie

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f230/jeystone/Image0293.jpg

snow_imp
27-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Bertie is gorgeous!

Patstone
27-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Yes, I do sometimes, the entry fee is a bit prohibitive tho. Up until recently I was working so if I went I had to go on Saturday when most of the people are packing up to go home, but now I am retired and my husband works shifts, it will be easier.

Patstone
27-04-2010, 07:51 AM
What is your company called, I will look out for you if I go. By the way my husband is Welsh, he was born in a village in South Wales, not sure which one.

Patstone
27-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Bertie is only 13 months old, so still has puppy ways i.e hiding socks etc. He is a big dog tho, I have only had him since November 5th. His previous owner was killed in the fighting in Afghanistan, and the lads mother said she couldnt cope with a puppy and a four year old child, but I think it was more than that, it may have been a reminder of her son, just guessing, but very sad, and a very sad dog when I had him, he was fed well, and taken out for his necessaries, but not really played with or shown love and affection, and when we saw him all his belongings were in a laundry room, toys, food dish etc, so he has really changed now. Has the run of the house and is taken for long walks and swims every day, and cuddles, sometimes I think he may get over cuddled.

lorraineflee
27-04-2010, 10:34 AM
HI, belated welcome from me too - Bertie looks lovely!
Lorraine