PDA

View Full Version : Sorry tumbler question

Karenl
24-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi,

I apologise, I know this has been talked about extensively! :) I think I have finally settled on a tumbler. After allot of searching. I would like to purchase the Lortones 3A tumbler. I understand I need to buy some stainless steel shot but what soap do I need to buy? I have seen somewhere on the internet that sells the tumbler and the steel shot but not the soap. Does anyone know where I can buy the soap and or the Lortones kit at a reasonable price?

Many Thanks!

Karen

MuranoSilver
25-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Cooksons sell burnishing compound :)

Karenl
25-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Thank you!

mizgeorge
25-04-2010, 04:40 PM
The best price for the Lortone in the UK is Palmer Metals (by quite a long way). I don't think much of their shot though - not enough shapes. I think the best options for shot and soap (I prefer burnishing compound 'b' to barrelbrite, but that's a purely personal thing) are either Manchester Minerals (usually slightly cheaper from their trade Hilton Bros site) or UKGE - Grits, Polish, Media - Media for Barrrelling machines (http://www.ukge.co.uk/UK/product.asp?numRecordPosition=6&P_ID=2168&strPageHistory=&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=417)

I know this is repeating the information in a lot of threads on here already, but I do recommend a stainless steel shot mix that includes pins. If you don't have any pins in the mix, it's worth buying some separately and adding it to the mix.

wheely
25-04-2010, 09:53 PM
whats so important about pins?

ps_bond
26-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Pins get into nooks & crannies far better than round shot.

Karenl
26-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Hi George,

I ordered the tumbler from Palmers over the weekend and I ordered their stainless steel shot to go with their tumbler. I've seen pins sold separately at manchester minerals (Magnetic Rust-free steel pins for Magnetic tumbler Manchester Minerals Polishing and Setting (http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/acatalog/Polishing.html#a94_2d089)) are these the pins I need to order? I ordered the barrel brite from Walsh.

Karen

mizgeorge
26-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Those are the ones Karen :) They make a huge difference to your shot mix.

Karenl
26-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Thank you :)