PDA

View Full Version : like the look of this

fiona davies
22-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Hi,
stumbled across this handmade craft site (http://www.handmade-crafts.co.uk/) and thinks it looks interesting! Have a look anyway.

Cathy at the Beach
22-04-2010, 02:37 PM
I had a look. Things may be different in North America...but Fiona, I had a look at your brooches and I would not call them a craft. I wonder if we (across the pond) think of craft a bit differently than people in the UK. I think of crafting as soap making, basket making, jewellery made out of recyclables, paper art etc. I think what you make would be classified as goldsmithing. Or maybe fine art .
I could be way off base on this!

Di Sandland
22-04-2010, 03:03 PM
No, Cath, you're spot on. usually, tho, things happen the other way round and crafters think of themselves as artisans whilst artisans are (as a rule) over-modest and consider themselves to be crafters. 'tis the British sense of inferiority. :)

Cathy at the Beach
23-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Canada inherited some of that sense of inferiority too!!

mizgeorge
23-04-2010, 01:33 PM
I know we all have different tastes, but to be honest, the whole look and feel of that one makes me shudder. I have all the time in the world for handmade crafts, but I can't cope with twee in any shape or form ;)

Ominicci
23-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Ha ha I know what you mean George. I'd like to think I was aiming for something a bit more upmarket for myself. It may suit others though.

fiona davies
23-04-2010, 03:48 PM
I had a look. Things may be different in North America...but Fiona, I had a look at your brooches and I would not call them a craft. I wonder if we (across the pond) think of craft a bit differently than people in the UK. I think of crafting as soap making, basket making, jewellery made out of recyclables, paper art etc. I think what you make would be classified as goldsmithing. Or maybe fine art .
I could be way off base on this!

Hi cathy,
I didn't call the brooches on my site a craft....I just stumbled accorss the link to the craft website and thought people on this site may like to add their link (which you can do for free)....I'm nothing to do with this site....just found it and thought others may be interested....I understand it is a tiny bit twee though:)

Cathy at the Beach
24-04-2010, 01:38 PM
what is "twee"? I've never heard that word before. LOL.

I understant Fiona! I love your work btw!

elliboo
24-04-2010, 05:19 PM
not Fiona, and not sure my definition is the best, but I've always used twee for something nauseatingly cute or sweet - think picture book cottages with rainbows and ribbons and sprinkles and flowers and and and........

Cathy at the Beach
24-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Thank you!! I will adopt it for my vocabulary! :)