PDA

View Full Version : reticulation help

wheely
21-04-2010, 10:28 PM
I posted before that I have a huge fear of naked flames, and am hoping, if I ever actually do it, that this will help me conquer it, cos I'll need a bigger flame than I've used before - only ever used a little hand torch. [-o< I've never done it, so, any advice peeps? Is there a stage I need to watch for before it melts?

MuranoSilver
22-04-2010, 07:40 AM
Wheely
I suggest you forget about going straight for perfection and use some scrap to experiment with & melt the metal on purpose.
Do it a few times and view how the metal goes shiny just before melting...that will really help :Y:
Nic xx

Cathy at the Beach
22-04-2010, 02:18 PM
I agree with Nic. I do a lot of "reticulation" ( I put it in quotes because I do this by the seat of my pants and use 925 silver rather than reticulation silver- and probably am not using very orthodox in my procedure- that comes
with no formal training!:'( )

Take a scrap and heat it all over with a hot flame until it goes shiny..back off with the flame- then repeat. Pickle and repeat. Each time you do it get it a bit hotter and eventually you'll see ripples and the edges will curl a bit. Pickle again and repeat. Stop when you like the effect.

Its fun to do and very organic looking! Love reticulation!!!

wheely
22-04-2010, 04:52 PM
I didn't realise there was a silver for reticulation.

My cat's just been run over :'(

lorraineflee
22-04-2010, 05:14 PM
My cat's just been run over :'(
That's awful - is there any hope for it?
Lorraine

wheely
22-04-2010, 09:24 PM
No, he's in pussy heaven now, out of pain. His head was run over, but he didn't die instantly which upset me more than him being run over, cos he was such a mess, it was horrible, one of them horribles you see every time you close your eyes. These animals...break your heart as much as humans

Di Sandland
22-04-2010, 09:31 PM
wheely, I am sooo sorry. Big hugs - but I can't take the visions away. :(

bustagasket
22-04-2010, 10:18 PM
oh that so sad, i am so very sorry. big hugs

wheely
22-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys, he looked like the stuff nightmares are made of, which makes the visions worse. I could describe it but you'd all feel sick after. Much crying and red eyedness, and choccie cookies to make it better - not that they're working. Decided to make something. Have an idea in my head and hopefully I can pull it off - got my class tomorrow so he can help me.

And back to reticulation. Thanks for the advice Nic and Cathy, I'll give it a go - though my 'tribute' to Bambi seems more important now.

caroleallen
22-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your cat - how horrible for you. Reticulation's easy peasy if you've got the right torch.

Gemma
23-04-2010, 07:08 AM
So sorry to hear about Bambi. Big hugs

MuranoSilver
23-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Oh Wheely
How awful for you, I'm crying.....we lost our "skittles" on October 31st and he was a furry family member.
So very, very sorry for your terrible experience & hope you can make a tribute to treasure and remember Bambi by...[[]]
Nic xx

wheely
23-04-2010, 08:45 AM
If it works out I'll be sure to show you Nic. These cats, lovely having them but boy does it hurt when they go. We'd had him nearly 18 years so he had a good life - just a horrible horrible and untimely death. My other cat knows, she sat in the garden by the bloodied bit of grass and just howled. I couldn't stop crying. Pitiful.

I will get round to reticulation though!

Thanks all for your kind words. Maybe I'm over reacting but this has really hit me like a ton of bricks. Hope my cookies order arrives today, more things to play with.

snow_imp
23-04-2010, 09:23 AM
I would not call your reaction an "overreaction" Wheely - a much loved part of the family is now gone - your reaction is just fine.

Cathy at the Beach
23-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Wheely- I am so sorry!!

Reticulation silver has more copper in it. I think its a ratio of 80 to 20 or there abouts. I just use sterling and it works quite well for me. Just make sure to do the heating part several times to bring the pure silver to the surface.

elliboo
23-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Maybe I'm over reacting but this has really hit me like a ton of bricks.

You're so NOT over reacting. I'd be the same if that had happened to one of my pets, especially in that way. So sorry honey [[]]