PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's bumblings...

FVT
20-04-2010, 08:43 PM
New on here but been in full swing on the Making Jewellery forum....but suddenly I feel a little stage-fright all over again. :">
Been teaching myself as many different techniques as possible in anticipation of hopefully stepping out and trying to sell stuff one day...soldering is still my biggest stumbling block, but determined to get neater and tidier...but loving working with silver clay, silver sheet, and enamelling in particular. Most of my album is WIP and learning, but I still feel it's good to get opinions to help steer me in a more focused direction :)

Do I need to add a link to my album? Still finding my feet on here, it's only day 1!

Ominicci
20-04-2010, 09:49 PM
No, we can see your album if we click on your name and go to your Profile :Y:

MuranoSilver
20-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Great album pieces - love the enamels :)
Nic x

FVT
20-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks ladies....getting the hang of things on here slowly but surely!

Gemma
21-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Love the enamel work you've got in there. I NEED TO PLAY WITH ENAMELS but I don't have a kiln :'(
One day......

ps_bond
21-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Gemma, do you have a decent-size torch?
You could build a small kiln cheaply for torch firing...

FVT
21-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Hi Gemma....thanks for your comments :-) I was also in limbo for ages thinking I needed a kiln before I could do enamelling...I bought a small one last year on eBay (about 80 pounds) but found that I was actually over-firing some of the colours....so I was advised to do some tests/comparisons with my butane torch...MUCH better results, and as long as you're just making fairly small pieces it is loads faster and most importantly, you can actually see exactly when the enamel has fused properly :-) So now you have no excuse...have a play!!

Gemma
21-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Gemma, do you have a decent-size torch?
You could build a small kiln cheaply for torch firing...

I have the lakelands plastics one.
I'd never considered building a kiln...
I do keep an eye out on ebay but I've decided I need to be more frugal. I've told myself I'm not allowed to buy any more jewellery making kit/tools until I start selling stuff (to give me the kick up the backside to start selling)

FVT
21-04-2010, 09:23 AM
I just torch fire by placing a small steel mesh tray over two fire-proof bricks....you need to fire the pieces from underneath if you're using a torch...feel free to pick my brains if need be :-)

ps_bond
21-04-2010, 09:25 AM
I'd never considered building a kiln...

Large tin can lined with ceramic fibre stood on a tripod with mesh. Nothing complex or expensive!

FVT
21-04-2010, 09:40 AM
You just reminded me Peter, I do now use a steel tripod...personally I find it easier to see what's happening when the piece is just sat open on the steel mesh shelf. Your technique sounds interesting though!

ps_bond
21-04-2010, 09:48 AM
It's pretty much the same, just with a hood over it. You cut away one side of the tin so you can see, bounce the flame off the fibre so it is a more evenly diffused heat.

Gemma
21-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Hmm, thanks Peter and FVT. I shall file this info away for later use

snow_imp
21-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Can these techniques for torch firing be used for any types of enamels? Or is it only certain types?

FVT
21-04-2010, 01:07 PM
I've tried with both leaded and lead-free vitreous enamels, ie hot enamels....and only on silver clay so far, but it sounds like the latest copper clay is ok too.

snow_imp
21-04-2010, 02:17 PM
I've tried with both leaded and lead-free vitreous enamels, ie hot enamels....and only on silver clay so far, but it sounds like the latest copper clay is ok too.

Thanks for the info.