PDA

View Full Version : Adding Gold to Sterling

FiredSilver
20-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Hi everyone

I've got some sterling pendants, and I want to solder a bit of gold onto them.

What's the thinnest I'll get away with buying in gold!! I've got 0.2mm in my basket but thought I should just check because its too expensive to make a mistake!!

Thanks

Becci

mizgeorge
20-04-2010, 06:44 PM
If it's just for accents, what about just using foil? Saves soldering too.

Otherwise, are you talking about wire or sheet?

Cathy at the Beach
20-04-2010, 06:54 PM
I recycle gold. Old charm bracelet links- old rings etc. So far I've used a lot of 10K. I either straighten out the links of the bracelet- or melt into little balls- sometimes I flatten the balls while they are molten- and I rolled out a wedding band until it was about 26 g thick. I silver solder the pieces onto the silver.

FiredSilver
20-04-2010, 07:27 PM
I was thinking of sheet George. I didn't want to use foil really, I'm looking to cut out shapes and wanted them to look like sheet - does that make sense!!!

Great idea Cathy - I've actually got some casting grains on order too!

B
xx

caroleallen
20-04-2010, 09:11 PM
You may get away with .2 but if it's 9ct, it may sink into the silver and disappear. You'd find 18ct easier to use.

FiredSilver
20-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Yes it is 9ct thats sat in my basket! Thats what I was worried about - the gold sinking in.

So 18ct and what thickness?

Thanks

Becci
x

Di Sandland
20-04-2010, 10:29 PM
You may get away with .2 but if it's 9ct, it may sink into the silver and disappear. You'd find 18ct easier to use.

Done that - and it doesn't take much to do it either! Def go for the 18ct Becci

FiredSilver
21-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks Di - I'll definitely go and change my basket to 18ct then!! Then I'll just close my eyes and hit the pay button - it doesn't count if you close your eyes you know!!!

B
xx

joliemartin
02-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Hi everyone

I've got some sterling pendants, and I want to solder a bit of gold onto them.

What's the thinnest I'll get away with buying in gold!! I've got 0.2mm in my basket but thought I should just check because its too expensive to make a mistake!!

Thanks

Becci

surly you should be very care full about because a little mistake facaes you a big lose.