PDA

View Full Version : Pesky torch

Coco
03-08-2009, 11:43 AM
I've got one of those thingies that you fit onto a gas can to get a flame. I think the gas cylinder is running low and my brilliant plan was to just burn the remaining gas away seeing as I couldn't get a flame hot enough to do anything with from it. The problem is now I can't even get it to light and I'm worried there's still some gas left and I have no idea how to get rid of it without accidentally blowing something up or burning something down. :-O

Any ideas?

mizgeorge
03-08-2009, 12:39 PM
You need to dispose of these safely at a civic amenity site (formerly known as a dump). Check if your local one takes them though.

Please don't just put them in the rubbish or recycling bin!

Coco
03-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Why? What'll happen if I do? Will things explode?

Ominicci
06-08-2009, 02:46 PM
It could do - that is why you are not supposed to puncture them even if you think they are empty. I'm always confused why you're not allowed to put normal batteries in the bin...

Green Monster
12-08-2009, 09:09 AM
It could do - that is why you are not supposed to puncture them even if you think they are empty. I'm always confused why you're not allowed to put normal batteries in the bin...

Normal ( in fact most) batteries contain some pretty nasty chemicals, if these go to landfill sites (via your rubbish bin) then the chemicals leak out and get into the water table, and eventually in streams, ponds, our water system etc. Killing wildlife from bacterial levels upwards, without some of these bacteria we are all dooooomed....dooomed I tell ya ( in best private Frasier accent!)

Same reason you shouldn,t flush old medicenes, tablets etc.

Cheers
G

ben b
12-08-2009, 08:29 PM

Di Sandland
12-08-2009, 09:39 PM
=d>=d>=d>=d>=d>

Maddie106
29-08-2009, 03:11 PM
I suggest putting it in your garden witht the tap open for a couple of hours and then putting the empty cylinder in your normal bin.
Many aerosol cans containe butane as the propellent and I think that like me, you are using a butane/propane mix.

As far as I know, there are no special rules for disposal of aerosol cans, unless someone here knows different!??:)

talia
29-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Preety good

freeride
16-10-2009, 11:44 AM
You actually get cash back on gas bottles when you take them back to a retailer depending on the bottle type.

Putting them in a bin doesn't seem a very good idea.

SilverBlueberry
16-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Can't you open the canister in a way, or press on the thingie somehow to release the remainder of the gas? If you do it outside there is no risk of anything exploding. And I agree, retailers should take them back.

jetlag
20-10-2009, 03:08 PM
I thought gas canisters had little valves that stopped them leaking when you took the business end off?

If they don't, then I should learn this now rather than later :(

amazingbabe
20-10-2009, 08:25 PM
I fight with my torch maybe 3-4 times everyday, :'(#-o

KTMAY
29-01-2010, 07:30 PM
I use a pencil torch for small soldering jobs and it is quite adequate. I bought a larger torch but have yet to use it - I shall try to get the courage together to use it soon!!