PDA

View Full Version : Theme challenge: Cold connections

MuranoSilver
19-04-2010, 12:39 PM
As last months Poll (http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/lounge/2291-next-challenge-theme.html) was a draw the next theme is Cold Connections.
So if you're attaching or adding things to a piece without soldering then it counts :)
Glue, Screw, Wrap, Rivet & Resin to your hearts content!
Nic xx

P.S>Don't forget though these themes remain open so it's not too late to add to any of the others (http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/show-tell/2282-theme-challenges.html)

Ominicci
19-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Ha ha was just about to PM you for the new thread!

Cathy at the Beach
19-04-2010, 01:27 PM
I have some 2mm tubing I've been looking at for months. Maybe some rivets are in order. Thanks for the push.

palace
19-04-2010, 06:59 PM
I've been wanting to try riveting. I don't have a design in mind yet, but I'm sure I can think of something. Hmmmmm...

Ominicci
20-04-2010, 07:00 AM
Ooh yes, riveting was in my mind too :Y:

snow_imp
21-04-2010, 07:55 AM
This is my wire wrapping skills at work on some lampwork beads I bought at Flame Off 2010 last weekend (think I need a bit more practice at wire wrapping) .

The first picture is a brooch that I made using copper wire and two beads that made me think of an insect.

The 2nd bead reminded me of a toffee apple so I tried to emphasis it with a leaf (not sure that works, but I like it).

Gemma
21-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Like those Anne. Especially the bug. I love bugs....apart from wasps! ;)
Cute little leaf on the apple.

snow_imp
21-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks Gem - they were fun to make I must admit.

But, I must remind myself that getting hooked on lamp work beads is expensive!!!

griffT
30-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi Nic

My first post so lots of mistakes.

3 pieces I have made for myself, they hang on the workshop wall as a study in tarnishing.

The pin with amber you might not allow, the pin part is forged as is the neck but the cradle for the amber is soldered. I just wanted to show the mounting using screws, the nut is let into the side of the amber and holds it in place.

The other two are forged and rivetted.

Thanks

Nick

MuranoSilver
30-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Nick they're fab - Love that amber pin very Art Deco!
Nic xxx

Ominicci
05-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Some rings (which I also used for RAD)

All copper and stamped or hammered, oxidised or heat patina-ed. All riveted to the bands. Prongs for the glass flower shape formed from the cut out part of the flower shape.

Ominicci
05-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Some more rings (also used for RAD)!

Amber beads riveted onto sterling wire.
Wire wrapped 'creation' with freshwater pearl bead.
Sterling silver band with riveted freshwater pearl (not true cold connection as the peg is soldered to the band).

caroleallen
05-05-2010, 05:57 PM
They're lovely Nicci. I particularly like the last of the first lot. (ps what's RAD?)

Gemma
05-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Ring A Day :)

Love those Nicci- the pearl ones and flower the bestest. Very neat rivets

Ominicci
05-05-2010, 08:45 PM
(ps what's RAD?)

RAD = Ring A Day (http://www.flickr.com/groups/rad2010/). A Flickr (on line photo sharing) Group of jewellery (or 'jewelry' as most are from USA) artists who are making a ring a day. It was started on 1st Jan by the Etsy Metal Group, but it is an open group so anyone can join. I haven't managed a ring a day but aim to have done 100 by the end of the year (I should manage it as I have done 50 already.) Some of the rings are 'conceptual' and could never really be worn. Some artists don't work in metal and there are polymer clay, cotton/wool thread, paper, plastic and anything else you can think of! There are around 9,300 images in the group so far. It is a fantastic design resource, and meant to be fun. I joined to challenge myself to actually make stuff!! If you want to just see my RAD photos click on the Flickr link in my sig and then click on the Ring A Day photo on the top right of the page.

Mystic
05-05-2010, 10:24 PM
I don't do riviting but i do do wire wrapping, so that is a cold connection. Here is my attempt, I particularly like the catch.

Gemma
06-05-2010, 07:22 AM
I like the clasp too Maggie and the rest. Your wire wrapping is very tidy

caroleallen
06-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Very neat Maggie.

Here are my cold connections

sonia
06-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Hi Carole I like those especially the third picture. How is the enamel piece attached to the bangle?

Sonia
x

caroleallen
06-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks Sonia, it's attached by coiling the wire at the back.

Gemma
06-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Wow Carol. Amazing stuff!! I love them all. Can't pick a fav

Ominicci
06-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Haven't seen the last set of bangles before Carole - I like them!!!

MuranoSilver
06-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Some rings (which I also used for RAD)
All copper and stamped or hammered, oxidised or heat patina-ed. All riveted to the bands.
Adore the copper sun disk ring with the red glass and cross over rivet! All fabulous though :)

I don't do riviting but i do do wire wrapping, so that is a cold connection. Here is my attempt, I particularly like the catch.
Maggie - so neat & the catch is perfect for it (love the colour too)
Carole ~ Those wrap over bangles of yours are so fun & funky.
(my favourite's the one with the blue enamel)

Nic xx

mizgeorge
06-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Haven't seen the last set of bangles before Carole - I like them!!!

Wot she said !!!
Lovely :)

Kwant
06-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Oh well, if I don't try these things I will never learn, so here goes, my attempts at wire wrap: a couple of little stones off the beach and 1mm wire.

caroleallen
06-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Very pretty and neat too.

MuranoSilver
06-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Love the swoop of silver on the white wrap Kwant, is that your first wire wrap?
If so it's much much neater than my first one was (which fell apart)
Nic x

Kwant
06-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the kind words, I need the encouragement :0, those two are numbers two and three attempts the first one went to a friend as an emergency (forgotten bday) present , it was a tiny bit of seaglass.

MuranoSilver
06-05-2010, 08:41 PM
You can definately see progession from wrap to wrap :Y:. Is it a technique you've enjoyed doing?
I love wrapped pendants but can never seem to get on with them myself and end up recycling the wire,
you must have a LOT more patience than me :)
nic xx

Kwant
06-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Yes I do quite like doing it. Not sure about the patience thing though, probably more to do with living in the middle of nowhere with a lot of time on my hands. I have this last couple of days been practicing bevel setting which really does wear the patience hahhaha.

Gemma
06-05-2010, 09:02 PM
I like them Kwant. Simple yet effective. I have some pretty beach pebbles. I may have to have a go

MuranoSilver
17-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Just realised it's time for a new theme, but seeing as this one remains open....
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4616480438_01a2ca4a3a_o.jpg
Sea Glass and Orange Briolette set made for a friends birthday
(one of my first wire wraps of a briolette, thankfully she didn't mind it messy lol)
Nic xx

Gemma
18-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Tried to reply last night but forum wasn't playing nice with me. Never mind- all seems fine this morning :)

Wrapping briolettes is soooooooooo much harder than it looks isn't it! The wire keeps falling off.

Love those bits tho Nic. Gorgeous colours. And how is that sea glas hanging in there? Magic?

I plan to have a go at rivetting sometime but not sure what I want to rivet to what yet. I might do some wire wrapping and post that here soon. I like the fact that these themes stay open :D