PDA

View Full Version : Something I made for me

Mila Jewellery
17-04-2010, 07:33 PM
I bought a gorgeous pink tourmaline a while back so I decided to set it in a ring and try out tube settings either side with natural zircon. The pics are just quick snaps so excuse the blu tak and the second one shows the colour at it's most true, but the rest of the exposure isn't so good lol

Cathy at the Beach
18-04-2010, 01:54 AM
REally lovely!

MuranoSilver
18-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Mila ~ that is so beautiful, no wonder you decided to keep it for yourself..
Love the Tourmaline and after my first recent experience with tube setting this
is definitely inspirational for me!
What stone sizes are they and any tips on lining up three tubes like that? :)
nic x

daisychain
18-04-2010, 01:34 PM
That is lovely!

Gemma
18-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Love it. Gorgeous stone colour and great setting

stu_clouds
18-04-2010, 06:05 PM
You have now tempted me into doing some tube setting to compliment my mainly bezel set work. Hmmm i have far to much work to do now thanks guys hehe.

Stu x

Mila Jewellery
18-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Mila ~ that is so beautiful, no wonder you decided to keep it for yourself..
Love the Tourmaline and after my first recent experience with tube setting this
is definitely inspirational for me!
What stone sizes are they and any tips on lining up three tubes like that? :)
nic x

The tourmaline was 7mm (I made a bezel for that) and the tube set zircons were 3mm. I soldered the centre setting onto the band first, then soldered one tube setting one side, then one the other side - I used Tip-ex to protect each joint which was the first time I'd tried that, and was quite impressed :)

ShinyLauren
19-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Gorgeous! Tube settings are my favourite.

Technical question: What does the tippex do to protect the joint? Is it an alternative to using heat protective paste?

Mila Jewellery
19-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Gorgeous! Tube settings are my favourite.

Technical question: What does the tippex do to protect the joint? Is it an alternative to using heat protective paste?

Yes - it seems to work well and it's easier to buy when you need it in a hurry and are in the wilds of Norfolk lol

HannahJewelleryDesigns
20-04-2010, 04:56 PM
That ring is really stunning, I love the tourmaline- so vibrant!

I've been using tipex for a while on my solder joints- Im all for the cheap option! But it smells SO BAD when you heat it!! (not that im a tipex-sniffer or anything! :">)

Dennis
20-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Other common options are: jeweller's rouge powdered and mixed with meths, or a graphite suspension called Contex. They are very difficult to get off again and tend to linger in the crevices.They are all antifluxes which deter solder from flowing when heated, but can't be relied on if you get the work hot enough. So, which option is the least evil? Dennis.

Cathy at the Beach
20-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Would yellow oxide (I think that's what its called) work as well for joint protection while soldering?

Cathy at the Beach
21-04-2010, 02:44 AM
oops...I meant yellow ochre....duh...