PDA

View Full Version : Polishing

silverbunny
05-07-2009, 06:17 PM
After I solder a jump ring to the end of a chain (both sterling silver, using a hard solder paste), they lose all their shine and look very dull. I dip the piece in pickling salts but it doesnt seem to help.
I used a polishing cloth to polish the chain bit which was near the ring + the ring, they got shinier but not as good as I'd like.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be most appreciated :)

Dano
05-07-2009, 06:30 PM
i'd recommend getting some polish in bricks and using a buffing wheel on the end of a dremel, start with tripoli or grey dialux and get it to a general shine, then clean the piece and give it a going over with rouge. (i'd link to the catalogue entries but i don't have enough posts yet :()

tripoly/grey dialux are cutting compounds, they work by removing silver so you don't want to use these too much if there's surface detail there, but rouge is a burnishing compound which works by smoothing th metal over on a microscopic scale, this is why it is really really important to get the piece clean before you use it.

also please forgive me for asking this because it is a bit of a "are you sure you have it plugged in?" question and i'm sorry, but have you diluted the salts into a solution before you're dipping? also it's good to leave the stuff in it overnight and i found a cheap slow cooker with a ceramic pot not a steel one makes a good heated pickle bath, just don't think about using it for food after ;)

silverbunny
05-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Thank you for such a detailed reply. hehe yup have diluted the salts into the water, I might keep it in for longer like you've suggested.

The things youve suggested sound great! The only problem is I have never used any of them before..

Lets see if I got it right.. excuse the amatuer questions :o

I found the buffing wheel in the catalog, I guess I need to buy a kit with a dremel ( 999 AVL3 or 999 AVL2 or 999 AVL1) to make it rotate yup?

How would I keep the chain stationary while it is buffing it ?

Funnily enough, I actually have a dialux block (I bought it by mistake, I think I have the red one). How would I apply it?

Once I am done with it , 'clean the piece' - with pickle water? tap water? a damp cloth? a dry cloth?

Rough - where and how would I apply it..

I hope thats not too much of a hassle, you've been a great help!!
:)

Dano
05-07-2009, 07:40 PM
ok first, not a big buffing wheel, just a little one, i think those kits come with them =)

ok you've fished your chain out of the pickle tank and rinsed it off, and you've got a white unpolished bit (if it's still black, it needs more picklin! you can't harm a piece by leaving it in there forever as far as i know*)

get your dremel and put one of the felt wheels or felt cones - whichever you think best for the shape of the piece - in the chuck on its little mandrel thingy. if it doesn't come on them, they just sort of screw on to the end (you'll see what i mean, it's hard to describe)

start your dremel up on a lowish speed and just touch the felt end to the block of polish, you don't need a lot, the common mistake is to blather the wheel in polish and then you get it on your face, clothes, ceiling etc. then just rub the spinning end over your piece, always keep it moving on the surface and don't hold it in one place too long.

when you think it's done enough on that polish, put a new wheel in, go down to your next grade of polish (never mix polishes on the same wheel) and repeat

if you're on the rouge step, take your piece, wash it off in soap and water and give it a good rinse, then do the above but with the rouge, and then give it a final rub over with a soft dry cloth and you're done.

don't think you have to use this polish on wheels in a dremel though, just rub a bit on a cloth then buff away, it just takes longer but it can be handier for fiddly corners, also there's polishing strings for the inside of loops and stuff.

there's no 100% set in stone right way, like you MUST use this and then that or else your piece will burst into flames and eat your dog or anything but there's things you have to remember.

*never ever put iron or steel in pickle unless you want all the silver you have in there to go pink and make you swear.

silverbunny
05-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Got it!! thank you ever so much for taking the time.

You mentioned going down to the next grade of polish after the first polish, is there a hierarchy? which would you recommend using ?

MuranoSilver
05-07-2009, 08:43 PM
After Pickling I just stick mine in a barrel polisher the whole thing
comes out really shiny :)
Nic x

silverbunny
05-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Turns out we have a dremel so I will try that for now, but this barrel polisher sounds so easy..what's that? x

AlexandraBuckle
06-07-2009, 08:27 AM
This is great info Dano. I'm not that experienced when it comes to the pickling and polishing. I don't do any hot work at all, but I do want to start soldering at some point.
The slow cooker for pickling salts is a great idea!

Dano
06-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Got it!! thank you ever so much for taking the time.

You mentioned going down to the next grade of polish after the first polish, is there a hierarchy? which would you recommend using ?

tripoli is your first polish after sanding, then after that i tend to use grey dialux for pass 2, then the rouge, and that's usually enough. grey dialux and rouge might be overdoing it a bit but like i said, you figure out what's right for you.

barrel polishers are great, you put your piece in a rubber barrel full of steel ball bearings and other shapes mixed with water and barreling soap, put it on the machine which turns it slow-ish, and leave it for a bit, and the motion of the steel bearings and the soap constantly falling on it polishes and burnishes really nicely with no elbow grease required, the only downside is that it's about 150 - 200 quid for the setup, and you can't really build it yourself for any cheaper either (i tried)

MuranoSilver
06-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Dano
Thanks for the Barrel polisher explanation :)
silverbunny put it on your "save for one of these" list, they're fabulous time saving marvels!
Nic x

The Bijou Dragon
07-07-2009, 12:04 PM
After Pickling I just stick mine in a barrel polisher the whole thing comes out really shiny :)
Nic x

Yep, I was going to suggest this if others hadn't.

I've just ordered a 3lb polishing kit with the finned barrel, steel shot and some powdered soap for polishing my silver.

There's just not enough time in the world to polish lots of tiny head pins after they've been made :)

You can change out the steel shot for a ceramic media to get a nice matt effect on your silver too if you feel like a change.

Plus you can get the smooth barrel and some grits and tumble your own stones or sea glass too for use in other projects.

wendy
07-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Whilst the topic of barrel polishers is being discussed, does anyone know of a supplier of really small stainless shot? When I try to polish items with detail and undercuts that the barreling shot/media won't fit into I end up with an uneven finish and areas that couldn't be reached. Is it worth trying to use smaller shot and is there even any available?
Ta!
Wend

agent_44
07-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I know you can get very fine pins, which should get in to the nooks and crannies, in fact my mixed shot had loads in when i got it. I spent hours and hours picking them all out because it drove me nuts when they got trapped in chains and once it even punctured my barrell lid. If I still have them you'd be welcome to them, I'd have to look though!

wendy
08-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks for that, I'll look out for some with pins in, and if you ever come across your regected ones let me know! :-)
Wend

Twink
08-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Really interesting comments. I have a barrel polisher that I originally had for polishing tumbling stones. Manchester minerals sell them and they are not too bad a price, you just have to get a rubber barrel to use with them to complete the set. Before I used this,while I was at college they suggested using Brasso metal polish and a silver cloth, both of which can be brought from the local supermarket. Your hands get filthy but it does give a nice shine for very little money.

lynnm
14-07-2009, 12:00 PM
I got the Prima CHM-917 Chocolate Heaven Fondue Set from John Lewis for my pickle ( johnlewis.com/230483469/Product.aspx ). It is a great size and has been reduced since I bought mine! :(

Lizard
16-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Slightly off topic, but on the subject of pickle I use a wide mouthed jar and when I need it just stand it in a bowl of hot water or if I need to do a lot at once put it in a saucepan of hot water and just keep it warm, lasts for ages and saves you a fortune.

The Bijou Dragon
16-07-2009, 12:25 PM
I just bought a crock pot / slow cooker from Wilkinson's for my pickling yesterday infact.

Charlotte
16-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Some great tips in this thread!

I used to have all the equipment at uni for polishing, now I have my own workshop its difficult working out what will work if you don't own every piece of equipment under the sun.

I bought some rouge to use on my felt and cloth drill bits, but everything just turns black... I have a barrel washer and tend to use that, its just when I've set a stone and occasionally need to refinish something if I've been a bit clumsy:o (As I've been told never to put a piece of work in the barrel washer with a stone in it).

Also, to be a bit greedy and ask another polishing question... my barrel washer doesn't always spin, is it too loaded up or is it breaking a few months after buying it? I've taken it apart and the band is on fine (sometimes it slips of and stops altogether).

With regards to the polishing of links I find the easiest thing to do is to use fine sand paper, fine wire wool (I LOVE this stuff!!), and a polishing cloth.

The Bijou Dragon
16-07-2009, 01:18 PM
It depends on your barrel polisher, what its maximum load is.

Mine will do 3lb total so the weight of the barrel has to equal 3lb or below total weight. If I wanted two going at the same time they would have to weight 1.5lb each including all the water and shot etc.

If you have too much in them it will make the belts slip and slow the machine putting a strain on the motor which may burn out and stop completely.

Best way to fill them is to put them on some scales, put your silver in and then everything else up to the maximum specified for your machine then you're not going to strain it :)

Charlotte
16-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Ahh ok, it sounds like thats what the problem could be, its just a little worrying as the barrel washer is my most expensive piece of equipment! I'll try it out and get back to you, thanks for the help!

Jodie
04-08-2009, 03:42 PM
It could be that the rods that turn have just become a bit too shiny and therefore slippy. They need some friction to help them to turn the barrel. When this happens I just wrap a little masking tape around the rod and it gives enough grip to turn the barrel. You just need to wrap it the right way or it will just unwrap and stick to the barrel stopping it form turning again!
Hope this helps
J.

bustagasket
04-08-2009, 03:48 PM
After Pickling I just stick mine in a barrel polisher the whole thing
comes out really shiny :)
Nic x

no fair i want one!!1 paddy paddy:(

Lindyloo
04-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Could someone please explain what the fins on a barrel polisher are. And which is best for silver, rubber lidded or metal lidded barrel polisher?

And is there a guide to what stones will survive barrelling?:confused:

mizgeorge
04-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Some barrels have extra bits of rubber inside to help things tumble (bit like the ridges in a washing machine drum).

I like a rubber inner lid, with a metal lid on top.

Anything over 5.5 (stainless steel) on the mohs scale should be OK. Not porous stones obviously.

Lindyloo
04-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks for that info.:Y:

Solunar Silver Studio
05-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Whilst the topic of barrel polishers is being discussed, does anyone know of a supplier of really small stainless shot? When I try to polish items with detail and undercuts that the barreling shot/media won't fit into I end up with an uneven finish and areas that couldn't be reached. Is it worth trying to use smaller shot and is there even any available?
Ta!
Wend

Hi Wendy...It might be worth you looking at this 'nooks and crannies' thread...it came up with a few ideas for reaching those parts you just can't reach!! :D

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143

lindaME
24-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi Guys, I bought a toy rock tumbler on ebay for £20. I use it with Steel Shot, water and a squirt of washing up liquid to tumble pickled silver and Silver Art Clay pieces. It works very well indeed.

Cheryl
08-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Hello. I've got a Manchester Minerals barrel polisher (unused - my husband got it for me for tumbling stones which I've never got around to doing) but didn't realise that I could use it for silver. So this post has been invaluable, thanks. I will have to get a barrel for metals as the ones I've got don't have vanes.

My question is, how long do you leave it working and can you put in more than one piece of silver at one time?

Thanks

Cheryl

mizgeorge
09-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi Cheryl and welcome to the forum!

You don't actually need vanes/fins for barrelling - though a rubber barrel is much less noisy.
You can put in as many pieces as you like as long as you don't overfill. I aim for no more than a third full including shot, silver and water.

Polishing time varies. For a quick wash and brush up, 20 minutes is fine. I happily leave mine running overnight if needed, but on average two to four hours seems to do the trick.

agent_44
09-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Hello. I've got a Manchester Minerals barrel polisher (unused - my husband got it for me for tumbling stones which I've never got around to doing) but didn't realise that I could use it for silver. So this post has been invaluable, thanks. I will have to get a barrel for metals as the ones I've got don't have vanes.

My question is, how long do you leave it working and can you put in more than one piece of silver at one time?

Thanks

Cheryl

I have a plastic barrel on my tumbler with no vanes/fins and it does the job fine! Though I am pondering getting a rubber barrel purely because I am not a fan of the lids on the plastic ones, they can be a pain to get on and off and can be a bit leaky sometimes.

EmmaRose
09-09-2009, 09:41 AM
I got my pickle pot (aka slow cooker) from Argos for under £20. The rubber barrel and mixed shot is greatl, don't forget your barrelling compound- it seems expensive but lasts for ever!
Em

snow_imp
11-09-2009, 02:41 PM
This may be a silly question, but I'm going to ask anyway.

How can I polish a length of sterling silver wire?

The 1mm wire I bought from Cookson's seems "dull" compared to the pre-cut and polished jump rings I bought and I want to polish the wire to a shinier finish before using it in a piece of work.

mizgeorge
11-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Grab one end in a pair of pliers and just run along the length with a bit of 0000 wire wool, or a polishing cloth. It will harden the wire a little at the same time, so you might not want to pull too hard.

Di Sandland
11-09-2009, 03:04 PM
I ordered this one (http://www.silverclay.co.uk/shtu.htm) yesterday (The Express) and it looks like I might have got the last one!

MuranoSilver
11-09-2009, 03:16 PM
I've got another version of that one Di - tis brilliant!
Make sure you turn it off at the plug though as the timers eventually wear out
mine went do lally and turned itself on in the middle of the night (Howard thought we had ghosts :^o^::giggle:)
Petras are all checked though so it should be fine, you only need speed 2! ;)
Nic x

mizgeorge
11-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Ooh, lucky you Di. It's the first one I've seen that makes me almost want to give up my Lortone :)

Di Sandland
11-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks Nic.

snow_imp
11-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Grab one end in a pair of pliers and just run along the length with a bit of 0000 wire wool, or a polishing cloth. It will harden the wire a little at the same time, so you might not want to pull too hard.

Okay, thanks George, next stupid question (I really am a noob at this it appears :">) but are these easily available items?

mizgeorge
11-09-2009, 05:22 PM
You ask away petal!

Wire wool - Liberon Steel Wool 0000 250g: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberon-Steel-Wool-0000-250g/dp/B000TAT4DA) (or many other places!)

Polishing cloth - Silver Cleaning Cloth Impregnated With Tarnish Remover - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Silver-Cleaning-Cloth-Impregnated-With-Tarnish-Remover-prcode-998-027)

Both are extremely useful if you do any wirework. The wire wool is great for polishing back after oxidising as well. A polishing cloth is the easiest way of putting a final gleam on any finished piece, and also for a quick repolish of anything that looks a bit dull after being stored.

snow_imp
12-09-2009, 12:59 PM
:D

Thanks, I'll get started polishing.

Emerald
12-09-2009, 09:47 PM
is there anywhere in uk that do the small pins for the tumbler please

kymbi
12-09-2009, 11:08 PM
I don't know about buying the small pins on their own, but I bought my stainless sheet shot from Manchester Minerals and this included pins in the mix with other shapes.

Manchester Minerals Polishing and Setting (http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/acatalog/Polishing.html#a94_2d089)

mizgeorge
13-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Cooksons sell them, they call them points though. 998 003C (eek at the price though)

Suttons have them as well. Sutton Tools Barrelling Equipment & Media (http://www.suttontools.co.uk/acatalog/info_PE177.html)

They're often sold as magnetic media for vibratory tumblers if it's any help

I think it's probably cheaper to just buy a new pot of mixed shot! Try item no LP0054 here: Metal Barrelling Machines (Lapidary) for Tumbling and Polishing Metal and Jewellery - UKGE (http://www.ukge.co.uk/UK/barrelling.asp)

Di Sandland
13-09-2009, 10:04 AM
George (sorry dear) I'm making a batch of headpins and plan to tumble them when my machine arrives. Apart from the magnet solution, is there any other way to prevent me having to go through the shot with a fine tooth comb sorting the wheat from the chaff?

mizgeorge
13-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Just pour the lot into a fine meshed sieve and shake it. The headpins will just rise up to the top because they're so light. I then just slowly pour the shot back into a barrel and pick out any that have been missed. It really takes only a minute to do. The shot is tiny by comparison, and the silver's very shiny!

When you have a couple of thousand different sized jump rings come off their strings and need to sort those out, I recommend a six year old with nimble fingers.....

Di Sandland
13-09-2009, 10:22 AM
I'll have to borrow your tame 6 year old, George. My tame youngsters aren't tame any longer - and their fingers never were very nimble.

bustagasket
13-09-2009, 10:26 AM
well thats me stuffed i dont have any 6 year olds, tame or otherwise in the vacinity!

Emerald
13-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Cooksons sell them, they call them points though. 998 003C (eek at the price though)

Suttons have them as well. Sutton Tools Barrelling Equipment & Media (http://www.suttontools.co.uk/acatalog/info_PE177.html)

They're often sold as magnetic media for vibratory tumblers if it's any help

I think it's probably cheaper to just buy a new pot of mixed shot! Try item no LP0054 here: Metal Barrelling Machines (Lapidary) for Tumbling and Polishing Metal and Jewellery - UKGE (http://www.ukge.co.uk/UK/barrelling.asp)

eek they are expensive arnt they, i googled ukg as i had seen it mentioned earlier in this thread before i posted my question and all the prices came up in dollars, but following your link takes me to the uk sight thanks very much, much cheaper.:Y:

Green Beetle
13-09-2009, 07:33 PM
is there anywhere in uk that do the small pins for the tumbler please
I got some very tiny pins from Kitiki (or one of their associated Cherry Heaven sites). Website is a mightmare so I rang them up and the pins arrived next day. A word of caution, though, do ask them to make sure that they do seal the envelope well as some of the little tiny pins sprinkled onto the floor. I ended up on hands and knees "sweeping" the kitchen floor with a magnet.

Sorry, can't post the link as haven't notched up the requisite number of posts but Google electrictumblers.co.uk

Good luck.

mizgeorge
16-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Back on the pins,
I noticed just now that Manchester Minerals do a little 40g pack of pins (just right for adding to an existing mix without pins) for under a fiver.

Item # 94-091 manchesterminerals.co.uk

Di Sandland
16-09-2009, 03:59 PM
It don't 'arf spread itself around, this shot, dunnit! Whoops

Emerald
16-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Back on the pins,
I noticed just now that Manchester Minerals do a little 40g pack of pins (just right for adding to an existing mix without pins) for under a fiver.

Item # 94-091 manchesterminerals.co.uk

that sounds perfect although cherry heaven is not to bad on price, i think postage is included?, as green beetle said nightmare site

Rocksforfrocks
27-11-2009, 09:52 AM
I have just bought the jewellery rotary tumbler from silverclay, which came with the shot and barelling compond, blimey dont know how I have managed without it!

I have spent the last two nights tumbling anything ive ever made! everything is super shiney.

I thought it was a very good price too

Emerald
27-11-2009, 09:55 AM
I have just bought the jewellery rotary tumbler from silverclay, which came with the shot and barelling compond, blimey dont know how I have managed without it!

I have spent the last two nights tumbling anything ive ever made! everything is super shiney.

I thought it was a very good price too

lol good isent it :Y:

WitchfordSilver
27-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Would hate to have to go back to the days when i did it all on the mop!

Emerald
27-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Would hate to have to go back to the days when i did it all on the mop!

lol i was just thinking today i need to set up the mop machine but as the
1950's extractor fan/vacumm gave up the ghost i am most reluctant

WitchfordSilver
28-11-2009, 05:33 PM
I run the mop in the garage, but now everything I touch turns your hands red. I forgot that using a dust mask only stops it getting up my nose. Next stage is a dust extraction system and a clean garage.

Hart-Star
04-01-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure where the thread is about the cheapo barrel tumbler from Argos - National Geographic , but folks might like to note that it is now in their post-festivity sale at £22

AlexandraBuckle
05-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Ooh, thanks for the info! I looked into getting a barrel polisher before Christmas but the price scared me off!

I think the thread you are referring too is here: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/general-jewellery-chat/1695-why-did-i-not-have-one-these-sooner.html

...just off to read it closely myself...

AlexandraBuckle
05-01-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure where the thread is about the cheapo barrel tumbler from Argos - National Geographic , but folks might like to note that it is now in their post-festivity sale at £22

having trouble finding it on their website...
where did you see it?

elliboo
05-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Is this the one? Buy National Geographic Rock Tumbler. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for . (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3834527/Trail/searchtext%3ENATIONAL+GEOGRAPHIC.htm)

I've just reserved one too - not that I'll ever be able to get to the shops in this weather!

AlexandraBuckle
05-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Ah thanks!
Doesn't look as I expected but I think I will go for it :)

vannetta
05-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi there,

Silver tends to be dull after soldering and you can use very, very fine steel wool to polish or a buffing wheel. Also a fine brass brush works well.

small pieces are difficult and can be dangerous to polish on a motor so I would recommend hand polishing.

Good luck
Vannetta
Author of Encyclopedia of Contemporary Jewellery Making Techniques.

jellythingybob
08-01-2010, 11:56 AM
I use the following method for pickling. I works for me. Follow all the health and safety guidelines provided with the salts though.

Get an old jam jar with a lid, put in half a pint of hot water and dissolve some pickling salts in the water (follow the guidelines from the manufacturer for the amount of salts you need for half a pint of water). Put the lid on the jar and swirl gently to dissolve the salts. Thats the pickle made.

To use, get a saucepan, put a saucer in the bottom and half fill the pan with water, bring the water to the boil and turn off the heat (the saucer stops the pickle pot sitting directly over the hot metal of the pan). Put your piece of silver into the pickle pot (jam jar!), put the lid back on and place the pickle pot, very carefully, into the saucepan. Leave to pickle.

When your piece is clean, remove with plastic tweezers and rinse. Put the lid on your pickle pot and put somewhere safe until next time. Put the pan on and repeat the process of warming the pickle. It's like a slow cooker but in miniature and works for me as I only do a bit of silver work now and again.