PDA

View Full Version : Tube Set Ring

MuranoSilver
13-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Many many thanks for this Stone Setting thread (http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/gemstones-gem-setting/1987-stone-setting.html) as this commission came along (guess I really needed to do Tube setting)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4519082380_ea2f5b74fd.jpg
(more on Flicker with some new enamelling conference pics)
This was designed for a little girl to receive on her parents wedding day.
She wanted to be part of the ceremony and get a ring like mummies.
We showed her lots of sparkly CZ stones and she chose this one, as it was a "Diamond" like mummies.
Bless! 0:-)

Nic xx

Emerald
13-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Is that your first tube set Nic not bad x

MuranoSilver
14-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Thanks Jo
Yes but it won't be the last as I'm now making a whole series of them
A hammered band with a small diameter probably not the best first project :-D
found the setting part to be not that dissimilar to bezel setting (lots of practice there :Y:)
Nic xx

Emerald
14-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks Jo
Yes but it won't be the last as I'm now making a whole series of them
A hammered band with a small diameter probably not the best first project :-D
found the setting part to be not that dissimilar to bezel setting (lots of practice there :Y:)
Nic xx

well when you have finished that one i am sure the next one will be perfect, :Y: by the way how old is the child that looks quite a sizeable ring or is it just the enhanced photography with your new set up:-D

Gemma
14-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Awww! How sweet! Lovely ring Nic and well done on you first tube setting

MuranoSilver
14-04-2010, 07:51 AM
The little girl is about 4 and even though the pic is very macro I've since taken off those little solder bits...this was before it went to the shop and was finished ;)
Also set the stone a "smidge" deeper than is normal, as she's so very young, thought it better to be safe than sorry. :Y:

Really pleased with the new set up as even quick snapshots like these seem to come out OK, only sad thing is I now think I have hairy fingers...
Nic xx

amazingbabe
14-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Lovely Job Nic.... Do you find tube setting easier ??? Gorgeous ring i'm sure the little girl will be thrilled......... As for the hairy fingers (at least yours are blonde,,, mine are black lol !!)

MuranoSilver
14-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks Gayle!
I think I'll find tube setting easier for diddy stones but bezels are still my favourite
Searched for ages, plenty of photoshop style "red eye" removers but no "hairy hand fixers"
Maybe I've spotted a gap in the market, lol ;)
Nic x

amazingbabe
14-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks Gayle!
I think I'll find tube setting easier for diddy stones but bezels are still my favourite
Searched for ages, plenty of photoshop style "red eye" removers but no "hairy hand fixers"
Maybe I've spotted a gap in the market, lol ;)
Nic x

Ha ha Nic ..........i'm with you on the bezels i just love them !!

Ominicci
14-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Well done on the setting Nic! If it really is as easy as the Stone Setting Thread makes it out to be then I really ought to have a go - all I need now is some stones and burrs - I have a few different tubes that I have not done much with up until now...

elliboo
14-04-2010, 07:44 PM
pretty - I bet the little girl will love it! sparkly like mummy's! I'm going to look at the tube setting thread now

Lou
14-04-2010, 07:56 PM
ah so sweet, looks great to me :)

infiniti jewellery
14-04-2010, 08:20 PM
:) Its pretty, I really like that well done

caroleallen
14-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Very sweet Nic.

Cathy at the Beach
14-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Wow... your first tube setting. You did a fantastic job! I really like doing them but every time I start I feel intimidated! I had a little accident with the first one I did. I soldered the tube onto a flat piece of silver sheet and didn't clamp it - but held it with my hand while I used my dremel to cut the seat. slashed my fingers up pretty nicely!!! I clamp them securely now!!!

You did a wonderful job of pushing down the sides. Did you use a tool with a hammer or a bezel pusher? (or both)

MuranoSilver
15-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Well done on the setting Nic! If it really is as easy as the Stone Setting Thread makes it out to be then I really ought to have a go - all I need now is some stones and burrs - I have a few different tubes that I have not done much with up until now...
Thanks to the helpful tips on that stone setting thread and from my friend Mo, yes it wasn't half as scary as I thought it would be.
You should definately give it a go! :)

Sharon, Lou, Lisa & Carole :ta: *blush*

Wow... your first tube setting. You did a fantastic job! I really like doing them but every time I start I feel intimidated! I had a little accident with the first one I did. I soldered the tube onto a flat piece of silver sheet and didn't clamp it - but held it with my hand while I used my dremel to cut the seat. slashed my fingers up pretty nicely!!! I clamp them securely now!!!

You did a wonderful job of pushing down the sides. Did you use a tool with a hammer or a bezel pusher? (or both)

Cathy ~ Thank you that's really kind of you to say. I'm always worried about showing my work because
(like everyone else) the maker always spots the flaws, lol.
I held this in my hand while I drilled it but I'm extra glad it was in a ring clamp now, must've been awful
mashing up your fingers and I appreciate the future safety tip!
I used a square flat ended bezel pusher and went alternates 9 o'clock, 3 o'clock, etc etc
Then I went round the top with the big curve on my burnisher & finished with some
impregnated rubber burrs.

Nic x

Loopy
17-04-2010, 07:31 AM
That's really good nic!