PDA

View Full Version : Bezel Set Ammolite

MuranoSilver
05-04-2010, 08:31 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4494384806_87484497e2.jpg
This was made from an Ammolite rough (glued to the original info card from the mine shop)
that a lady brought in for me. It had been given to her some 20+ years ago when purchasing a costly gold set Ammolite.
She wanted it made into a pendant for bequeathing to a lovely relative (who'd long admired the little stone) so a
lot of stone shaping and griding later I was able to set it.
We chose a hammered setting to enhance the textured nature of the stone...
A few weeks later she collected her new necklace and it suited her beautifully... YAY! :Y:
Nic x

Lucy
05-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Love the design nic! I just got a beautiful fretz hammer to do the same one :)

how is the stone held in place? with the bezel? In the pic it just doesn't look like the bezel is over the stone enough?

Lucy

MuranoSilver
05-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Technical term would be "cold connection" (also known as 2 part epoxy), lol
Having said that because the edge is so irregular and the bezel is so tight it was wedged in
good n proper with just the bezel setting
Nic xx

Lucy
05-04-2010, 09:17 PM
ha ha! love the new term ;)

Gemma
06-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Wow! Love it love it love it!!!!

snow_imp
06-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Very nice Nic.

MuranoSilver
06-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Awww thanks all :)
I was really pleased with how the stone ground (especially as I used the grinder I normally use for glass)
Nic xx

CeliaDM
06-04-2010, 02:28 PM
This is most certainly not my cup of tea. I can't believe that you actually used glue for the setting, shouldn't you rub the metal over the cabochon? This is how Rita set's her stones. Talking of Rita, I made my first PMC piece at the weekend and shall post photographs this week. It was almost exactly the same as using sugar paste and I am thrilled with the results.

Cathy at the Beach
06-04-2010, 03:04 PM
I really like this. I would love to set some rough stones but the backs seem to usually be convex! When I look at your piece Nic, I feel I'd like to run my fingers over the surface!

FiredSilver
06-04-2010, 03:40 PM
This is most certainly not my cup of tea. I can't believe that you actually used glue for the setting, shouldn't you rub the metal over the cabochon? This is how Rita set's her stones. Talking of Rita, I made my first PMC piece at the weekend and shall post photographs this week. It was almost exactly the same as using sugar paste and I am thrilled with the results.

I'm a PMC user, my mum a cake decorator - I gave her a pack of PMC to make some flowers with and I got a phone call to ask if she could stick the PMC together with egg white!! Your post just reminded me of that and made me smile!

Becci

MuranoSilver
06-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Celia ~ I'm pretty sure nothing I make will be your cup of tea.....:rofl:
My settings are made according to my clients budget and the material I'm using at the time,
in my opinion there is no wrong way to do anything ~ if it works well and looks good and has longevity
then I'm happy (I love this forum, as I love seeing how each person achieves their end result)

I really like this. I would love to set some rough stones but the backs seem to usually be convex!
When I look at your piece Nic, I feel I'd like to run my fingers over the surface!
Thanks Cathy :)
I would never have normally set this as the back was still a bit "rough" even after I flattened it on my grinder...
My client was really happy that I would have a go at shaping the stone for her as she was on a limited budget
it was on the understanding that it was to be a "do what I can with the tools I have".
She was really pleased with the end result and the resin helped keep the stone stable (was worried about grinding it further)
apparently another solution (which I hear was used by Native Americans when they set rough backed turquoise)
would've been to use sawdust filler to pack and level the stone.
I like this textured stone so think I'll look out for more unusual bits of rock, lol
Nic xx

elliboo
06-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Lovely. What a beautiful way to give a stone she's obviously treasured for years.

Ominicci
06-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Looks like the stone has a bit of opal type sparkle to it Nic (and having just looked it up - it does!). Like Cathy says - I want to feel the surface too!!

MuranoSilver
06-04-2010, 06:28 PM
There are some gorgeous specamins of Ammolite available but it can be quite costly....
You can see a picture of a whole fossil surface covered in Ammolite HERE (http://www.windspirit.co.uk/ammolite/ammolite.htm)
I love these stones and have a few in my hoard...still waiting to be set (waiting for the muse to strike, lol)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2792/4497156211_a6e71e80aa_m.jpg
(bigger pics on my Flickr pages, link in sig)
Nic xx