PDA

View Full Version : How do you stop stock from tarnishing?

Fi Wilson
05-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi everyone, hope you've had a good Easter break. I've just been sorting through some stock and was shocked at how many pieces have tarnished. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it as some pieces I made last year are fine but the piece that shocked me was a PMC pendant I made that I put on a sterling silver chain just after Christmas. The pendant has a slight tinge over it but the chain is just horrible. I'm sure I can clean all the affected pieces up but how do you all get around the problem?

Fi

Di Sandland
05-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Use anti-tarnish tabs. You can get them from EJR beads (http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=91&products_id=2620) and probably on ebay too. If you're selling high value pieces it adds to the perceived value for money to put one in the box that goes to the customer

Cathy at the Beach
05-04-2010, 05:46 PM
You can also buy fabric that is treated with anti tarnish chemical. The only issue is you cannot wash it. I made a jewellery roll to keep my pieces in before they go to stores- made the mistake of buying white anti tarnish cloth- and had to wash it. It does come in dark grey too.

For those pieces that are a bit tarnished- a quick dip in 'Tarnex' will fix it fast.

Fi Wilson
06-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks Di and Cathy! Think I'll be going with the tabs as I can put one in the gift box with the item. I didn't even know that they made those things. The only thing that I could think of similar was those silica pillow things that come in new bags!!!

MuranoSilver
06-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Great source for the Anti-Tarnish tabs Di :Y: will look them up!
Nic x

FiredSilver
06-04-2010, 01:42 PM
I use those Fi, they're great - and so's Emma!!

Becci
xx

NatSiddle
06-04-2010, 08:01 PM
I noticed a few months ago that my jewellery was tarnishing on its stands (I pre-load the stands before packing them up as it saves time) and after I cleaned it up I popped it in a big, sealed plastic box with some of Emma's anti-tarnish tabs. So far so good, its stayed bright and speckle-free :) be careful about what room you keep them in too. A damp room, or one where you spray perfumes and body sprays will hasten the tarnishing effect.

AlexandraBuckle
07-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Use anti-tarnish tabs. You can get them from EJR beads (http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=91&products_id=2620) and probably on ebay too. If you're selling high value pieces it adds to the perceived value for money to put one in the box that goes to the customer

i didn't know about these. V.useful, thanks Di!

sonia
07-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Hi

I have ordered some of these but from P metals - then noticed this thread and also noticed the dire delivery dates at P!!!! oh well.......... #-o

Sonia :)

AlexandraBuckle
07-04-2010, 05:47 PM
I just bought them from EJR and ended up putting lots of Miyuki beads in my cart too... oopsie :)
Emma's own beads are lovely too.

Di Sandland
07-04-2010, 07:32 PM
I just bought them from EJR and ended up putting lots of Miyuki beads in my cart too... oopsie :)
Emma's own beads are lovely too.

Do you use Miyuki then Alexandra? I've got thousands of the buggers - proper Miyuki and Delica - to get rid of!

Lou
07-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Emma's own beads are awesome! always sold out though :(

AlexandraBuckle
08-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Do you use Miyuki then Alexandra? I've got thousands of the buggers - proper Miyuki and Delica - to get rid of!

I've not used Miyuki before, the colours just caught my eye. I have been using a lot of cheap glass cube beads with delicas lately in my beadalon range. When/If I use up what I've just bought I'll give you a shout :)

Di Sandland
08-04-2010, 08:50 AM
I've not used Miyuki before, the colours just caught my eye. I have been using a lot of cheap glass cube beads with delicas lately in my beadalon range. When/If I use up what I've just bought I'll give you a shout :)

Oh, please do - I need the space

snow_imp
08-04-2010, 10:20 AM
I've just ordered some tabs from EJR too - and some beads of course as I couldn't resist.

Fi Wilson
08-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Just about to place my order for the anti-tarnish tabs but after reading all these replies I just know I'm going to end up some beads too now!!!