PDA

View Full Version : Firing in a kiln

Mila Jewellery
04-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Do you put the piece in the kiln whilst cold and leave it in there until it reaches temperature or do you wait until it get to teperature and then put it in?? I have seen info that says both, so not sure which is best. Personally think I would heat the kiln to temperature then put it in, but thought I'd ask the experts here what they think :) x

MuranoSilver
04-04-2010, 09:59 AM
I always let it heat to temperature inside the kiln, a few reasons none scientific, lol
1) If there's a smidge of moisture in it may dry (if I'm lucky) on the heating phase
Straight in the kiln would be more likely to reult in "bang".
2) For pieces with lots of different thicknesses less stress
Nic xx

Mila Jewellery
04-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks Nic - I've got my temp controller now so going to try it out today :)

Fi Wilson
04-04-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm christening my kiln as we speak! Bizarre 'first burn' smells are wafting through and it's merrily clicking away now that it's reached temperature. I got it last week but it's taken me this long to read through all the instructions and be brave to just do it. My bumf says to put your pieces in when it's cold and to let them reach temperature with the kiln. Like Nic's theory I suppose it's less of a shock to the clay.

PS Well done on being shortlisted in the makers-online.co.uk photography competition (5th one down) (http://www.makers-online.co.uk/features/product_photos/competition). I entered but didn't get a look in! Well done!!! =D>

Lynne Glazzard
05-04-2010, 09:31 AM
I always start with a cold kiln if I can, like Nicola says it is safer as there is more chance of making sure the piece is absolutely dry - the 'pop' as the binder combusts always makes me jump if I put the piece into a hot kiln!

FiredSilver
06-04-2010, 01:15 PM
If there's no glass or other inclusions, I do tend to throw my work in at whatever temperature the kiln happens to be at LOL!!! I like to live dangerously, but have never had any problems.

Becci
xx

Lou
07-04-2010, 05:34 PM
I always start with a cold kiln too and ramp up to full speed and have never had any problems with the metal clay.

Mila Jewellery
07-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Well it was about at about 100 as I had been calibrating the temp control unit previously, but the pieces had been in the oven at 180 so they were fine. Loved using the kiln instead of the gas stove :)