PDA

View Full Version : rudimentary jewellery by an utter beginner!

disorganised
01-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi folks. I posted some of my first attempts at jewellery making back in January after teaching myself for a couple of weeks. I now have a term of evening classes under my belt and here are some of my bits and pieces. The bracelet isn't quite finished - got a bit more riveting to do, but I got impatient, so am posting it in its unfinished state.

I think what these photos show most clearly is that I need to invest in a barrel polisher - or else not be so lazy when it comes to polishing stuff by hand.:) I also need to learn how to take decent photos!

I'm not sure I can remember how to post photos - hope this works.

Claire

caroleallen
01-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Wow, you've done well in just one term. Well done.

Sunnybank
01-04-2010, 09:15 PM
They are brilliant Claire, I particularly like the long pendant.

Emerald
01-04-2010, 09:16 PM
wow just one term, you are doing really well Claire :)

CeliaDM
01-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Claire they are truly inspirational. I would wear every single piece without hesitating. You are exactly what this forum needs, fresh talent and believe me you have talent in abundance. C xx

Di Sandland
01-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Well done Claire, they're lovely!

bustagasket
01-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Crikey all that in one term and stone setting too - i feel truely justified in slating the course i was on now. Well done to you!!

disorganised
01-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks everyone.

I made the long pendant this afternoon when I was supposed to be working from home writing a seminar. oops.

Dennis
01-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Yore a natural Claire, Dennis.

MuranoSilver
01-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Claire those are brilliant pieces for your first term (or even 2nd or 3rd terms!) what's especially good about them is the designs
get you focused on all the all the key areas - stone setting, soldering different metals together, multiple settings on the same piece.
From that basic background you can go on and develop many funky and cool designs. :Y:

Great work and kudos to your tutor too!
Nic xxx

Mila Jewellery
01-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks everyone.

I made the long pendant this afternoon when I was supposed to be working from home writing a seminar. oops.

Hmm sounds familiar lol!

They look really good though, love the ring ;)

Fi Wilson
02-04-2010, 07:01 AM
Loving the 'nest' ring. Love that. Well done!!!

AlexandraBuckle
02-04-2010, 11:41 AM
All very well made and fab designs :)

Cathy at the Beach
02-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Very impressive!!! I love the round pendants!!! You did really well with those bezels!

wheely
02-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Good work there!

Ley
02-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Not so rudimentary I'm thinking, but then I've never had the nerve to do 'proper' jewellery, still messing around with beads and the occasional bit of bad silver clay stuff.

disorganised
02-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Not so rudimentary I'm thinking, but then I've never had the nerve to do 'proper' jewellery, still messing around with beads and the occasional bit of bad silver clay stuff.

Cheers - the title of my thread is a reference to some fairly rude comments that have been bandied about here over the last few days. :)

Petal
02-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Cheers - the title of my thread is a reference to some fairly rude comments that have been bandied about here over the last few days. :)

Ummm, yes I thought those comments were bang out of order. If anyone wants to improve and learn, the one thing that doesn't help is criticism. Totally unnecessary and uncalled for.

Disorganised, your jewellery is really lovely and I think you produced some lovely work in a really short space of time. Well done you. What's your name by the wayt??

disorganised
02-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Jules - I'm Claire, and I'm starting to smell a rat where the rude comments poster is concerned. Something doesn't add up.

Thanks to everyone for your lovely comments. I'm really enjoying this forum - and I think jealousy over everyone's lovely work is part of what's making me work so hard at improving. Not that I'm competitive or anything...

Petal
02-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Hi Claire,
I see the inspirational work the forumites produce, realise how long it takes and it just makes me want to improve and learn as much as I can.

lynnm
02-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Ummm, yes I thought those comments were bang out of order. If anyone wants to improve and learn, the one thing that doesn't help is criticism. Totally unnecessary and uncalled for.

I think some of the comments made on occasions are really tart. Having said that constructive crits are good. I am happy to be to be taught to do better but hate it when people slay for the sake of it. We all have to start somewhere after all

elliboo
02-04-2010, 06:04 PM

Think there's been a bit of trolling recently - I don't think anyone can be that innocently offensive without trying! :)

Your pieces are gorgeous - I'd be happy to wear any of them

Gemma
02-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Oh wow Claire. They're all soooooooo yummy! Wow wow wow wow! I need to get me on a course too if its possible to be that amazing so quickly

Ominicci
03-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Wow again Claire! That many different techniques in one term is fab!

Green Beetle
07-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Claire they are truly inspirational. I would wear every single piece without hesitating. You are exactly what this forum needs, fresh talent and believe me you have talent in abundance. C xx

Could we see some more of your work, Celia - I'm sure you would be an inspiration for us all.