PDA

View Full Version : Abalone or Paua problems

Cathy at the Beach
31-03-2010, 06:02 PM
I suspect there is nothing I can do about this but remove the bezel and replace the cab....but....is there any way to polish dinged paua? I set an 8mm dyed paua in a bezel and accidently hit the face of the cab with a rubber polishing wheel. It seemed to almost melt and cloud the surface where I hit it. #-o

I dread having to remove it. Ihave a large lampwork cab already set and I just know how much work taking that bloody thing off will be.

Any suggestions? PULLLLLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Gemma
31-03-2010, 07:48 PM
I've polished up paua shell before using micromesh. Not a cab though- rough pieces. It depends how thick the nice shelly bit is!

bustagasket
31-03-2010, 07:52 PM
micromesh strike again!

mizgeorge
31-03-2010, 08:50 PM
I think I'd try hand polishing it as well - either micromesh or wet and dry. It hates heat, so take it slowly.

Emerald
31-03-2010, 08:52 PM
i would like to see your large lampwork cab pleeeese i will show you mine if you show me yours :D

Dennis
31-03-2010, 09:22 PM
If you end up having to discard the shell (which I hope not) it is possible to open a rub-down bezel, using a pointy scalpel, or craft knife(the kind with snap off blades). Gently insert the tip a little way between shell and bezel and work your way round without too much pressure. Nothing much will appear to be happening at first, but at the third or fourth pass the bezel will be open sufficiently to pull out the shell with a piece of sticky tape. The idea is to leave the bezel in good condition. If your craft knife is not pointy enough you can customise it by cutting a notch just behind the tip with a diamond or carborundom disc or mouted diamond. Hope it goes well, Dennis.

Cathy at the Beach
31-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Thank you all so much.
I am not familiar with micro mesh but I did look at Rio Grande in the US (I order from them frequently) and they have some polishing cloths called micro mesh...they come in grits between 300 and 12,000. Is this the same thing?

If I can't get this polished I will try and remove it by opening the bezel. I think I've work hardened the darn bezel within an inch of its life though....

Jox.. do you do lampwork???
I'll post a couple of pieces with lampwork cabs. Everytime I have my torch going I make a few. I just love them. Each one is totally unique. (there are a lot better ones out there then mine I'll tell you)

mizgeorge
31-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Thank you all so much.
I am not familiar with micro mesh but I did look at Rio Grande in the US (I order from them frequently) and they have some polishing cloths called micro mesh...they come in grits between 300 and 12,000. Is this the same thing?

If I can't get this polished I will try and remove it by opening the bezel. I think I've work hardened the darn bezel within an inch of its life though....

Jox.. do you do lampwork???
I'll post a couple of pieces with lampwork cabs. Everytime I have my torch going I make a few. I just love them. Each one is totally unique. (there are a lot better ones out there then mine I'll tell you)

That's the right stuff Cathy. It's one of the best hand polishing solutions I've come across.

I lampwork too - but I'm crap at cabs. Except the ones made from beads that have cracked and end up being chucked in the kiln to slump into cabs!

Thomas wellburn
12-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Hi judging by the dates it's probably too late. You should be VERY careful polishing abalone/pau or any gemstones as it is possible to get silicosis (a serious lung problem) so extraction wherever possible and definitely wear a facemask

ps_bond
13-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Hi Tom! I've got some paua shells sat in my workshop that I've done nothing with so far - nor will I until I get a water feed sorted out for one of my grinders. Silicosis is not my idea of a good time.