PDA

View Full Version : Silver solder question

Gemma
31-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Hello folks. Hope someone can help

A friends Dad (engineer) had some random silver solder lying around and gave it to me (with some bits of micromesh too, yay!) I have no idea whether I can use it for jewellery making though. :confused: I know the melt temp is pretty low. It has a casing of flux which I'll probably end up knocking off as its a bit thick as it is but lets face it- it was free! Anyhow here are the details:

Silver-flo 56
Melt temp 618-652 c
56% Silver
22% Copper
17% Zinc
5% Tin

lorraineflee
31-03-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure but I don't think that this is hallmark quality solder. SOmeone more knowledgeable than me will let you know for sure though!
Lorraine

Gemma
31-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks Lorraine. I suspect you're right. I can always use it for copper I suppose

Dennis
31-03-2010, 05:11 PM
This is soft solder which is meant to be used with a soldering iron. Dont put it anywhere near your tools or work-surface. It will contaminate your silver and is a big No No in working with precious metals. Only use solder of hallmarking quality from a reputable source. Ha, I enjoyed writing that, but it's true, cross my heart, Dennis.

ps_bond
31-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Er... Are you sure about that Dennis? A MP of 618C is quite difficult to attain with a soldering iron.
While I wouldn't use it with precious metals either, it's going to take brazing temperatures to use it. It's quite popular with model engineers, I believe.

Dennis
31-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Yes you are right Peter, I was just being dismissive of something I wouldn't like on my bench, but did not register the meltng point. It is just below the melting point of the very easy solder in the Cookbook,but also low in silver content' so I don't think it would pass muster. Sorry for the misinformation, uncross my heart, Dennis.

Di Sandland
31-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Yes you are right Peter, I was just being dismissive of something I wouldn't like on my bench, but did not register the meltng point. It is just below the melting point of the very easy solder in the Cookbook, so I don't think it would pass muster. Sorry for the missinformation, uncross my heart, Dennis.:Y::Y:

LOL Dennis

swageblock
03-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Sounds like non hallmark grade silver brazing rod.It has a slightly yellow tint,is very hard to file/sand off any lumps.Its great for copper and brass repairs/restoration and flows very well.
Not suitable for silver.Like tin/lead based soft solders it eats precious metals.

Gemma
04-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks eveyone for all your relpies. I'll keep it for copper/brass but tell friend I don't need any more :)