PDA

View Full Version : Low cost lampwork training alternative.

Bigwol
31-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Because I am currently not able to afford the setup for proper lampwork, I thought I'd have a go at a low cost alternative - and the results are Amazing!

As I can't melt glass I looked around for an affordable alternative and found one at my local DIY store - Hot Melt Glue!

Apart from the temperature differences it behaves EXACTLY like glass!

Here's a shot from my 3rd attempt - (my first and second attempts got a bit stuck together - it is glue after all!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/DaveWallisPics/HotMelt1.jpg

Once up to temperature, the hot melt glue stick transforms into a glassy, fluid state which can be readily transferred on to almost any available substrate - but you need to be careful as the drips are VERY hot - as I found out by accident. I used twisted copper wire.

This is the result - I call this piece 'Umbilical union by DNA' - as it mirrors the feelings I had for my firstborn son who had a difficult delivery, and contains the double helical spiral so reminiscent of the ground breaking work performed in 1953 by James D. Watson and Francis Crick who proposed what is now accepted as the first correct double-helix model of DNA structure in the journal Nature

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/DaveWallisPics/HotMelt2.jpg

All you need is a hand torch and some sticks of Hot Melt glue - plus talent and a little patience - Go for it!

ps_bond
31-03-2010, 05:51 AM
You're a day early, Dave.

geti-titanium
31-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Interesting way of recreating and practicing lampwork techniques Dave and I reckon if somebody can sell jewellery made from cannibalised Barbie dolls, then it might take off. :-)

Are there any more health and safety aspects to consider - toxic fumes for example? :)

Sunnybank
31-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks Dave, I've wanted to try lampwork for a while now, but really couldn't justify the set up cost. I'm just off to B&Q to get some hot melt glue.

Alan, I take what you mean about H&S, so am thinking about one of these.

Chemical Protection Suit, Gas mask suits and supply Tychem BR 400 from Approved Gas Masks (http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/suit-BR400.htm)

geti-titanium
31-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Ah yes! The 'BR400 Flat Back Rear Entry' always a popular choice in certain fields

ps_bond
31-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Are there any more health and safety aspects to consider - toxic fumes for example? :)

Now that you mention it, we probably need to perform some appropriate testing. Well volunteered, Alan!

Sunnybank
31-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Dave, sorry, I didn't mean to wander off the thread into protective clothing, so if people want to discuss such items maybe we should start a new thread and leave this one to low cost lampwork alternatives.

lesley
31-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Totally inspirational, Dave. I can feel the emotions.

Lisa Quinn
31-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Your genius knows no bounds Biggie !

Di Sandland
31-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Dave, I love the way you manage to express such profound emotions in your work - you're an example to us all.

bustagasket
31-03-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm trying to see the heart beat

Ley
02-04-2010, 12:34 PM
That's brilliant and I already have a glue gun! You can apply finishes to glue with either that sticky foil stuff, breathe hard on the surface to just dampen and rub on the foil,or there are some waxes recommended in a book on altered surfaces. I'll check it out tonight and post the name. All excited now, can't wait to get home tonight and have a play, if I can find the glue gun! :X

caroleallen
02-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Far be it from me to suggest that's a little tacky.

mizgeorge
02-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Far be it from me to suggest that's a little tacky.

LOL :)

(hate the 10 character limit thing)

MuranoSilver
02-04-2010, 02:40 PM
I hope so as otherwise the foil wouldn't stick! :-D

On a serious note hot glue can result in some fantastic effects....
This fella makes bowls out and jewellery out of it:
Here's an article written on his handmade Bowls (http://www.psfk.com/2009/08/bowls-crafted-from-hot-glue.html)
+ Main site which has gorgeous colours in the jewellery (http://wunderwurks.com)
Nic xx

Jemart
03-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Wow, those bangles rock!
I'm not a big fan of costume jewellery but might have to make an exception and buy one if those.

adiamore07
10-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Its good to see you passion for you work of art. Really you are Genius. great Work. Keep it up.

ps_bond
10-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Adiamore, since your first post - where you actually contributed something useful (and then marred it by posting commercial spam) - you've posted nothing but this kind of drivel. Now, I'm aware that English isn't your first language - despite claiming a location in California, you're actually in India - so I'm going to ask nicely: If you are intending to contribute usefully to this forum, please do so - by all means ask questions, make useful observations - whatever. If you are only attempting to work around your spam being blocked, I would recommend against it.

Di Sandland
10-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Peter, you are a gentleman and a scholar ;)

jille
14-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Lampworking is something I want to try , have you considered the hothead torch from warm glass? It's only £34.95 and uses a gas cannister available in diy stores. I know a couple of people who use them. I do fused glass but it's only a matter of time before I get one of these torches.
jille