PDA

View Full Version : national geographic barrel polisher

ruth3007
30-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Hi!

I've been reading up on barrel polishers and would really like to try using one but I'd rather not outlay a huge amount of cash at the moment! I'm just making things as a hobby at the moment. I read someone had used the national geographic rock tumbler to tumble their jewellery. Has anyone got any comments on how good this would be (as a first step, clearly the real thing would be much better!). Obv I would buy soap and steel shot to stick in it!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Ruth

Sunnybank
30-03-2010, 09:09 PM
I've got one and it is great for the few things I need to tumble. It wouldn't stand up to professional use though. Apparently Argos have discontinued this product, they got a lot of complaints from disappointed kids because these were sold for polishing stones, which takes weeks and the attention span of the average kid has evaporated. I'm told that they can be found on ebay as the disgruntled parents try to flog them off.

ruth3007
30-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Super, like I said, it's really just for playing about with while I decide whether or not I can justify investing in the real thing! Had problems with being a bit overkeen with felt cones on the dremel and putting dents in silver pieces from pressing too hard!

I found a few in stock at my local argos for £20 so will maybe take a trip there tomorrow. Another question would be what is the best shot for and soap/ lubricant for putting in it? I've used a magnetic pin polisher when I did an evening class at a local college and thought they gave a brilliant result! I know its not exactly going to be up to the standard of the magnetic polisher but would steel pins alone suffice or would you recommend the mixed shot?

Thanks for your help!

Ruth

mizgeorge
30-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Ruth, there are loads of threads about this, but I always recommend a pack of mixed stainless steel shot with pins. I'm afraid it's one of the things that Cookson's are horribly overpriced on though. I also prefer burnishing soap 'B' to barrelbrite, but I think that's a personal thing. You'll only need a small quantity of shot with the small tumbler.

ruth3007
30-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Brilliant, I'll look into it. Been sifting through all the other threads - think I've had an overload of good advice! Can't wait to try it out!

Thanks,
Ruth