PDA

View Full Version : getting a grant help

silver Girl
30-03-2010, 05:49 PM
hi all ,
I need your help. I'm looking to get a grant for new jewellery making stuff ,eg silver sheet, gemstones , setting tools etc does anyone know where I can get a grant for this??
I hope you can help.

mizgeorge
30-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Business Link would be the place to ask. However, you do have to have a business plan for them to see, and then (I believe) usually go through an interview process.

bustagasket
30-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Business Link would be the place to ask. However, you do have to have a business plan for them to see, and then (I believe) usually go through an interview process.

I had a nasty feeling they didnt just hand out great dollops of money G, such a shame :(

elliboo
30-03-2010, 07:33 PM
I had enough to buy a kiln through business link, but it's hard work. I had to meet the business advisor several times, attend a 4 day course, produce a full business plan, and obtain 3 like for like business quotes for each item before the application could even be submitted. They bought the kiln and we had to collect from their offices. That said, it has been very helpful overall, and I've appreciated the support, but I didn't just get the money to buy what I wanted.

You could maybe look at Business Grant, Loan, Venture Capital, Tax Relief and Award Information for businesses in the UK - j4bGrants.co.uk (http://www.j4bgrants.co.uk) and search for local grants

silver Girl
01-04-2010, 09:41 AM

I don't have a business plan . I just wordered if there's any grant who could help me get new stuff cos I'm in a bit of a crisis right now ,
I hope you can help

MuranoSilver
01-04-2010, 09:52 AM
No-one just hands out cash.....except maybe sugar daddies, lol
Nic x

HannahJewelleryDesigns
01-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Hi Silver Girl,
I have good news and bad news for you, the good news is I can point you in a few directions to have a look for grants/loans etc but the bad news is for each one you have to do something to prove that you not only want a grant for a legitimate reason (i.e your not going to go out and party with it!:)) but also that your ideas have a good chance of sucess- and that often means a business plan.

The first one is
GRANTnet.com (http://www.grantnet.com/)
you have to sign up and answer lots of questions about what you want the money for but then itwill give you lists of any suitable grants available to you and how to apply for them. However i signed up about 2 years ago and havent had any suitable ones yet.

The second is your local council.
They can sometimes provide start up grants/loans but you will more than likely ask for a business plan. If not they can sometimes point you to local organisations who may be able to help.

The third one is the Prince's Trust.
Home (http://www.princes-trust.org.uk)
I followed this path and they are brilliant! You need to be under 30 and have been in business for under 2 years to be eligible for the business programme but they have other options which are all on the website. If you do get into the business programme then they will help you put a business plan together then you go to panel and if they think your ideas work and your plan is sound they can give you anything up to a £4000 loan and £250 grant. The loan repayments can be flexible and you get a business mentor for 2 years to help you along. It would be best to talk to them about the options open to you though as they have several different programmes as well as the business one.

I hope some of that is useful! If you want any info on the Prince's Trust I can help with that as I am still on the programme and I can tell you about my experience with them, otherwise good luck and if you find any one handing out money- please tell us too!!!*-:)

silver Girl
01-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi Silver Girl,
I have good news and bad news for you, the good news is I can point you in a few directions to have a look for grants/loans etc but the bad news is for each one you have to do something to prove that you not only want a grant for a legitimate reason (i.e your not going to go out and party with it!:)) but also that your ideas have a good chance of sucess- and that often means a business plan.

The first one is
GRANTnet.com (http://www.grantnet.com/)
you have to sign up and answer lots of questions about what you want the money for but then itwill give you lists of any suitable grants available to you and how to apply for them. However i signed up about 2 years ago and havent had any suitable ones yet.

The second is your local council.
They can sometimes provide start up grants/loans but you will more than likely ask for a business plan. If not they can sometimes point you to local organisations who may be able to help.

The third one is the Prince's Trust.
Home (http://www.princes-trust.org.uk)
I followed this path and they are brilliant! You need to be under 30 and have been in business for under 2 years to be eligible for the business programme but they have other options which are all on the website. If you do get into the business programme then they will help you put a business plan together then you go to panel and if they think your ideas work and your plan is sound they can give you anything up to a £4000 loan and £250 grant. The loan repayments can be flexible and you get a business mentor for 2 years to help you along. It would be best to talk to them about the options open to you though as they have several different programmes as well as the business one.

I hope some of that is useful! If you want any info on the Prince's Trust I can help with that as I am still on the programme and I can tell you about my experience with them, otherwise good luck and if you find any one handing out money- please tell us too!!!*-:)

thank you so much ........ you have saved my bacon ......... (lol) can you tell me more about Prince's Trust programmes thanks so much :) :Y:

CeliaDM
01-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Silver Girl, I doubt very much that organisations would just hand over money, a business plan would be very wise and I assume that you works are good enough to be sold too. There is no point even pursuing anything like this until you have reached a certain standard, have a portfolio of works and a genuine idea of how many pieces you could manufacture in a specific time frame, appropriate outgoings etc etc.

Hope this helps.

HannahJewelleryDesigns
02-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Lol, I havent saved your bacon yet! But dont worry, the types of organisations that can put you in touch with funding are usually the ones who will help you get your ideas into shape right from the very beginning. You dont need to have sorted your financial stuff or market research etc as they will help you put it all together- after all theres no point doing a huge amount of work and research only to find you have the wrong end of the stick and have to start again!
Depending on what stage you are at- are you in business already or starting up? Did you actually want to start a business? Or are you moonlighting from a day job!? hehe! There are different opportunities for you to look at.
Personally I am on the Business Programme(or Enterprise as its now called) and you have to fit these criteria to be eligbile:
Have a business idea they want help to explore
Are aged 18-30
Are unemployed or working less than 16 hours a week
Live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland

Ill try to send you a PM with some more info about my experiences (not done one before!) as I dont want to sound like an advert! Anyone else who wants to know, just let me know and ill put something together for you. By the way, if I come across as a bit over-enthusiastic about them, Im hoping to become a Young Ambassador for the Prince's Trust, I was that impressed with their help I want to help others in my situation. Just thought you should know so you dont think im an advert! Lol :Y:

silver Girl
03-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Lol, I havent saved your bacon yet! But dont worry, the types of organisations that can put you in touch with funding are usually the ones who will help you get your ideas into shape right from the very beginning. You dont need to have sorted your financial stuff or market research etc as they will help you put it all together- after all theres no point doing a huge amount of work and research only to find you have the wrong end of the stick and have to start again!
Depending on what stage you are at- are you in business already or starting up? Did you actually want to start a business? Or are you moonlighting from a day job!? hehe! There are different opportunities for you to look at.
Personally I am on the Business Programme(or Enterprise as its now called) and you have to fit these criteria to be eligbile:
Have a business idea they want help to explore
Are aged 18-30
Are unemployed or working less than 16 hours a week
Live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland

Ill try to send you a PM with some more info about my experiences (not done one before!) as I dont want to sound like an advert! Anyone else who wants to know, just let me know and ill put something together for you. By the way, if I come across as a bit over-enthusiastic about them, Im hoping to become a Young Ambassador for the Prince's Trust, I was that impressed with their help I want to help others in my situation. Just thought you should know so you dont think im an advert! Lol :Y:

I'll look forward to you PM thanks so much for your help :Y: