PDA

View Full Version : Do you struggle with 'perfectionism'?

Solunar Silver Studio
01-08-2009, 07:19 AM
When we make something beautiful, we know every step that went into it - every triumph, every mistake...and if something is less than perfect in our mind, the little fault is all we see...despite the fact that our creation is beautiful to everyone else...

Does that sound familiar...

I'm suffering a bit of a 'crisis of confidence' here..and I need some advice...

How do you go about quelling that little voice in your mind that tells you your latest piece of work (as well as many others) is not up to scratch?

Barbara

Atelier Ava
01-08-2009, 08:33 AM
I had the same discussion with a group of jewellers the other night. We are doing a critic on each others work and I said my worst fear was showing my work to other jewellers because I am not a perfectionist.
Generally people who buy jewellery look at a piece and if they love it they will buy it. Only you know if it is not quite perfect and also if something is hand made it wont turn out like a manufactured item which has gone through a machine process and been mass produced.
I have no problem with my lack of perfectionism and with confidence you should turn it to your advantage because the charm of a piece is the love and care you put into it and people appreciate that. One thing though that I have discovered is that the longer you make, the better and more 'perfect' your work becomes.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)
Paula

MuranoSilver
01-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Lol - no Paula your not a perfectionist at all :-D
I've seen your gorgeous work.....
Come on admit it & join us in perfectionists anonymous!!
nic xx

Atelier Ava
01-08-2009, 09:51 AM
I was just protesting to my son that I am not a perfectionist and he said that I was but in my own way. I suppose that I have just learnt over time not to worry tooo much about my work and its imperfections because only me and experts can see them.
Mmm, I still dont think I can join perfectionists anon just yet :( . My ex was a perfectionist and it ruled his life to the point where it held him and me back from achieving, thats why I fight the term.
Paula xx

The Bijou Dragon
01-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Oh boy yes! I am beyond the pale when it comes to perfection I never thing anything of mine is good enough to sell EVER!

Also I can't bring myself to price things realistically... I do, I charge what's right after working it all out but then I get upset because *I* wouldn't pay that much for it because it's not quite round or the beads are slightly smaller than others etc etc etc.

I very often want to throw it all in the bin tools and all because I can't cope with it :(|

... and yet if I put something away and look at it a few months later I wonder what I was so upset about as it looks lovely and the latest piece is rubbish and should never ever be seen by anyone else...

Repeat ad nauseum!

bustagasket
01-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Oh boy yes! I am beyond the pale when it comes to perfection I never thing anything of mine is good enough to sell EVER!

Also I can't bring myself to price things realistically... I do, I charge what's right after working it all out but then I get upset because *I* wouldn't pay that much for it because it's not quite round or the beads are slightly smaller than others etc etc etc.

I very often want to throw it all in the bin tools and all because I can't cope with it :(|

... and yet if I put something away and look at it a few months later I wonder what I was so upset about as it looks lovely and the latest piece is rubbish and should never ever be seen by anyone else...

Repeat ad nauseum!

I am not good at what i do yet (i will pluck up the courage to show you what i have done so far one day, maybe when i get a website up lol) but with all my crafting i never think people will pay for it, even when it has taken me hours and i only charge to cover the cost of the materials :( the most i add for labour on anything is £5 and never really charge anything on cards

Petal
01-08-2009, 03:37 PM
I totally agree with all the comments so far.

A customer came to collect and try on her jewellery she had ordered last night, and not only bought some more of my jewellery, but said she liked other stuff too! I thought [-X , you really want to buy my stuff ?? there's this crimp bead that needs re-doing and these beads don't quite match up and that necklace should be a bit shorter etc etc. I am sooooo critical of my work that there are times (like, the night before), when I said I didn't think I was good enough to do jewellery any more and its not for me, I'm no good, no jewellery qualifications, how can I have a business card with my name on! I'm a fraud!!!

Perhaps we just have to ignore our 'inner voice' always criticising and accept that we have done the very best we can and just 'let it be', instead of beating ourselves up over things. Otherwise we'll always be disappointed with what we have achieved, won't we!

I think this calls for a [[]] oh yes and a big bar of chocolate to make ourselves feel better, but its got to be green and blacks, cos we only like the best! :-D Oh yes, and I'd like to apply to join perfectionists anojn - when's the first meeting, so we can all help each other to succeed?

Jules xxx

Ominicci
01-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Yay me too, ('I agree' smiley needed) with Jules.

I also have a business card with my name on it, money sat in the account, a half finished website, business cards, no jewellery quals... and I haven't even sold anything yet :rofl: You got one up on me there Jules!

AlexandraBuckle
01-08-2009, 05:03 PM
I find that customers think that pieces match each other when I don't consider them to be a matching set.

To them the pieces match because the beads are the same, but to me the wire shape is completely different and I'd never put them together! :confused:

I always feel like saying - nooo they're not designed to be worn together! (And then I think of the extra sale and stop myself - if they are happy who am i to be so fussy! ;) )

Lindyloo
01-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Well, all you guys who are actually selling things are way up on me. After joining this forum I have realised that compared to you all, I am totally inexperienced and held back by my fear of failure.

That's why I chose to teach children, because they are so non-critical. They don't see my faults, they just think I'm amazing. I show them my jewellery and they just look in awe!

I would just love to sell jewellery of my own. And I have this lovely dream where I open a little workshop in my back yard, and have the occasional open studio day when tourists, locals etc. would admire my workmanship and buy all my oh-so-organic pieces!

But in my mind, this is only a dream. And where would I get the money to do it, and what if my jewellery broke, and they came back with it and said it was my fault, and what if they didn't buy anything anyway, and what if no-one even came through my door?:eek:

ben b
01-08-2009, 08:02 PM

caroleallen
01-08-2009, 08:47 PM
I think you have to be a bit of a perfectionist if you expect people to buy your stuff. I always strive for perfection, though I don't always achieve it. I know the stuff I do now is 100 times better than what I was making 10 years ago but I still try to do better.

Di Sandland
01-08-2009, 10:08 PM
I can relate to almost everything said here. I've sold a few pieces of jewellery but I sold a helluva lot of turned wooden bowls and stuff. I always wanted to underprice them but DH wouldn't allow it. I spent a lot of time on finishing but sometimes I would look at a shape and think 'oh, that's wonky, can't sell that.'

Just recently I've looked at the bowls I have left (actually they're out all the time in use as fruit bowls and stuff) and, do you know what? They are bloody good! I can hardly believe that I actually made them. I think the secret is to put a bit of distance between you and what you've made, but that's not always easy.

And, to be honest, if you strive perfection you will achieve the very best you can. If you aim for just okay, you shouldn't be selling!

myke
03-08-2009, 06:15 PM
When we make something beautiful, we know every step that went into it - every triumph, every mistake...and if something is less than perfect in our mind, the little fault is all we see...despite the fact that our creation is beautiful to everyone else...

Does that sound familiar...

I'm suffering a bit of a 'crisis of confidence' here..and I need some advice...

How do you go about quelling that little voice in your mind that tells you your latest piece of work (as well as many others) is not up to scratch?

Barbara

It's hard to excepet but the fact is that is you will never be happy with your own work, that,s the challange thats what drives you falward. thats what being an artist is about. its not about ego, and thats the really hard bit cus we all like complements.i try and tell myself this all the time. I have done ok making jewellery but one bad market or fest and my confedence grumbles.but that what pushes you on. if thats what you want? does that make any sort of .................................................. .........................

EmmaRose
03-08-2009, 07:41 PM
All the time! I can't make it go away LOL.
[-X

Solunar Silver Studio
04-08-2009, 08:00 AM
I guess it is comforting in a way to hear that you all suffer in the same way...but it doesn't exactly help!!

Am I going to suffer this agony every time I make something??

Is there a psychiatrist/psychologist in the house....????!!

Anyone who can help me sort my head out!!

.....form an orderly queue behind me now!! :-D

kymbi
04-08-2009, 08:17 AM
I think you have to be a bit of a perfectionist if you expect people to buy your stuff. I always strive for perfection, though I don't always achieve it. I know the stuff I do now is 100 times better than what I was making 10 years ago but I still try to do better.

I agree Carole.

I try to get things perfect, but i don't stress too much now if it's not. I've spent so much time in the past trying to correct things that almost no-one except a jeweller would even spot. I just try and progress and learn from my experience.

cezerpringle
14-08-2009, 11:17 PM
I feel like this all the time, not sure I'll ever make anything I think is good enough to sell, even if I've spent 3 days filing sanding etc. I can still see imperfections on the surface... to the point where I get so frustrated I give up and that's the point that a piece is 'finished'.
How do you know when a piece is finished? I suffer from major anxiousness about the quality of my work.
Any advice on when you know your stuff is good enough to sell?

Thanks and sorry to sound so whiney
Ceri :) x

Atelier Ava
15-08-2009, 11:56 AM
I feel like this all the time, not sure I'll ever make anything I think is good enough to sell, even if I've spent 3 days filing sanding etc. I can still see imperfections on the surface... to the point where I get so frustrated I give up and that's the point that a piece is 'finished'.
How do you know when a piece is finished? I suffer from major anxiousness about the quality of my work.
Any advice on when you know your stuff is good enough to sell?

Thanks and sorry to sound so whiney
Ceri :) x

I would take a look at other peoples hand crafted work in shops, galleries and online, you will see imperfections in most if not all apart from the silversmiths at the top of their game. I recently did a recky into a gallery as a potential for placing my work there, all the jewellery was tarnished and close inspection showed many imperfections. Dont be too hard on yourself, have a look around and you will feel much better.:)
Paula