PDA

View Full Version : Folksy

jille
29-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Im setting up a Folksy shop which I can link to my website, what are views on using Folksy this way?
Because I don't just make jewellery I wondered if it was possible to have different Folksy shops or subdivide in some way. Because all my eggs may have to be in one basket I came up with the name 'Fired Art' most of what I make fits that title, but not all, does this matter?
By having lots of items in one shop am I in danger of making it look like a jumble sale?

I appreciate your honest feedback

Rock Hard Fairy
30-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Folksy isn't very good. They are coming out of beta on 1 May and charging 5% commission on sold goods but there are still glitches with it. You can't put your own shop in categories so if you do sell more than one thing it does start to look a mess and you can't move things around, so if you list your best stuff first it can end up on the last pages where people might not bother to look. You can have more than one shop. Promoting your shop within Folksy promotes Folksy but they don't seem to be doing very much themselves to improve the site's presence. It works for some people but not sure if that is by pure chance or hard work on the shop owners part. Trial and error I'm afraid, you don't have anything to lose I guess.

jille
30-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks for your reply Rock Hard Fairy, I may have to try and build a web store myself, I bought a new website from Just Host but I'm struggling building it, I'll have to put more time into it and see if i can do it, I need to learn how to give up sleeping

jille
30-03-2010, 02:55 PM
I had a look at Just Host, I can have several domain names, so i could have one for jewellery , one for glass art and one for hand painted ceramics, i think this will be a good option, if i use a domain name covering what people are searching for i might get some hits. I can always add links to my other sites.
Now all i have to do is figure out how to do it!

Rock Hard Fairy
30-03-2010, 09:50 PM
I use Just Host - all you do is buy your domain names and they do the rest from what I can remember.

jille
31-03-2010, 06:52 AM
Yes you can pay for them to build the website but i want to learn how to do it so I can change things when I want. I couldn't find zencart anywhere, so I e-mailed them last night, this morning I got a reply, its under another name....... doh!
Anyone using zencart? i hope it's better than ozcommerse i thought it really badly designed

MuranoSilver
31-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Hi Jillie
Zencart is here ecommerce shopping cart software by Zen Cart ecommerce solution (http://www.zen-cart.com/)
but is doesn't seem that different to OS commerce.... unless you're using one of the prebuilt versions that you can get from places like Template Monster.
This was one of the Zencart "standard" shops Silver Sterling, CiaoSilver.com, Silver 925 OnLine (http://www.ciaosilver.com/)
My shop's an OSCommerce shop and I've found it to be pretty easy to update and run :) MuranoSilver.com (http://www.muranosilver.com/shop/)
Nic x