PDA

View Full Version : Forum Upgrade

dgrose
29-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Tomorrow morning, we will be upgrading our Forum software to the latest version. It will have a new look with some extra features.

The forum will be closed tomorrow morning (30th March) at 7:00am for about one hour.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Dave

dgrose
30-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Upgrade complete!!

If anyone notices any problems, please let me know & I'll get onto them.

Thanks
Dave

geti-titanium
30-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Lookin' good Dave - looks like a real home from home now:snowball:

Jayne
30-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Where am I??

Di Sandland
30-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Sorry, Dave, but this now looks like a carbon copy of the other place - you know the one we're talking about. Much as I love the other place, I don't think that being so similar is good for Cookies.

apike
30-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi Di,
This isn't a 'carbon copy' of the other place, simply a standard generic upgrade from vbulletin who host/supply the forum. Its difficult to make them look massively different, however we have taken several steps to do so including 3 colour options - pink, black and grey. We've used grey as the default following a small inhouse focus group, but feel free to select another colour. Also we've developed a variety of dynamic feeds on the right hand side to improve not only the aesthetics of the forum but the navigation and general functionality. Myself and Nic have also worked to reduce the number of categories without losing any areas and existing content in a bid to make the forum interface more inviting for both newbies and existing members.

Adam

MuranoSilver
30-03-2010, 10:17 AM
For anyone wondering where all the smilies have gone the reply button takes you to "quick reply"
hit the "go advanced" button to see smilies and more features :Y:
The new "Choose Colour" option is in the top bar just underneath "cooksongold.com"
you might need your sun specs for Pink, lol
Nic xx

Di Sandland
30-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Yes, I'm sorry for maligning you Adam - I've been told by other members of both forums that the way Vbulletin looks is pretty much generic.

Hi Di,
This isn't a 'carbon copy' of the other place, simply a standard generic upgrade from vbulletin who host/supply the forum. Its difficult to make them look massively different, however we have taken several steps to do so including 3 colour options - pink, black and grey. We've used grey as the default following a small inhouse focus group, but feel free to select another colour. Also we've developed a variety of dynamic feeds on the right hand side to improve not only the aesthetics of the forum but the navigation and general functionality. Myself and Nic have also worked to reduce the number of categories without losing any areas and existing content in a bid to make the forum interface more inviting for both newbies and existing members.

Adam

snow_imp
30-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Technical issue here - every time a page of messages loads I get a runtime error - line 11 is expecting a "}" character apparently.

dgrose
30-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Technical issue here - every time a page of messages loads I get a runtime error - line 11 is expecting a "}" character apparently.

Thanks Anne,
Sorted the issue, the error should have gone away now.
Regards
Dave

snow_imp
30-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks Anne,
Sorted the issue, the error should have gone away now.
Regards
Dave

Thanks Dave - it's all fixed now! :)

Bigwol
30-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Somehow this looks strangely familiar! like Deja Vu - all over again . .

Still, they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Gemma
30-03-2010, 08:09 PM
I like it! I'm now looking at you all in pink!

geti-titanium
30-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Just in case anybody is wondering what is meant by 'a carbon copy of the other place'. both Dave and Di are referring to another jewellery forum that they both belong to which uses the same vBulletin software. We set it up some time ago as an offshoot forum where opinions and humour could be expressed 'differently' to on here. The new forum was started and took advantage of the new release of the software right from the beginning but it was only a matter of time before the Cooksons forum was, quite rightly, upgraded.

It can cause a little bit of confusion as I have found out myself - it does make you think a bit before writing 'b*gg*r' instead of 'b****r' :-) , but we'll get used to it and this version is a lot better. I'll have to do a revamp of our own now, thanks Dave!

*****At least we are still at the top on google uk for the search term 'jewellery forum' and 'jewellery forums' for the time being anyway and our smilies are more fun too :dance: *****

Emerald
30-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Oh would that be this other forum Geti x

geti-titanium
30-03-2010, 08:52 PM
:) Well it would Jo, but I didn't think it would be good manners to link to it!

Emerald
30-03-2010, 08:59 PM
you dident :D

Sunnybank
30-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Lol ..........................

Dennis
30-03-2010, 10:02 PM
I used to be able to click on a box and type in a word (today it is 'centre punch') to find a place I wished to return to. Quick links did not do it so what is theanswer please?
Yours in ignorance,Dennis.

mizgeorge
30-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Dennis, try the little white box at the top of the page (on the far right of the blue toolbar, with a little magnifying glass next to it).

Dennis
31-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Thank you George, it worked today, but yesterday it came up 'no matches found'. Anyhow you're a Star,
You can come out of the water now.
Dennis.

Ominicci
31-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Eeuww, new forum is a bit strange and I don't like the 'grey' scheme and 'pink' was a bit sickly so have gone with 'black'. A 'green' option would have been good. I suppose I'll get used to it :rolleyes:

dgrose
31-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi Nicci,
Green is now available especially for you. :)
Dave

snow_imp
31-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Dave - love the green option - thanks from me too!

geti-titanium
31-03-2010, 02:31 PM
No, sorry - I'm sticking with Titanium grey :Y:

Emerald
31-03-2010, 09:00 PM
when this was the old Forum my Album was only available to my friends having just looked at my profile settings it was available to all registered users ?

Di Sandland
31-03-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm using black but there is a problem in that hyperlinks don't show up :(

Tabby66
31-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Lol ..........................

Well folkes (not sure about that spelling!!), just googled and found another forum. I just want to learn and share about jewellery and silversmithing.
Waiting for validation. Hoping to join you soon.
Will still be ordering from you cookies....and enjoying the forum.....

Sunnybank
31-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Do say hello

Emerald
31-03-2010, 09:53 PM
eeew that green is awful could we tryyyyy........mmmmm purple?

Di Sandland
31-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Well folkes (not sure about that spelling!!), just googled and found another forum. I just want to learn and share about jewellery and silversmithing.
Waiting for validation. Hoping to join you soon.
Will still be ordering from you cookies....and enjoying the forum.....

Have welcomed you with open arms - take a look at your profile page ;-)

Sunnybank
31-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Green always reminds me of envy , Jo

dgrose
01-04-2010, 07:47 AM
when this was the old Forum my Album was only available to my friends having just looked at my profile settings it was available to all registered users ?

Hi Jo,
I don't know why the settings changed during the upgrade... I'll look into it. Privacy settings can be changed by going to 'Forum Actions', 'General Settings'. In the left column under 'My Profile', click on 'Profile Privacy' and the option is there.
Thanks
Dave

Emerald
01-04-2010, 04:07 PM
yep i did that as soon as i realised but as i had set them as i wanted them in the fiirst place i was a bit miffed :D

Ominicci
03-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi Nicci,
Green is now available especially for you. :)
Dave

Thanks Dave! But I'm with Jo - it is a bit 'in yer face green', so I have gone with the 'purple', which has a bit of green in it too :Y:

lesley
05-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Dave, I'd like to give a big thumbs up and thank you for the blue version. Sufficiently different from other places but it doesn't make me feel like I'm going to lose my marrowbone. :Y:

Cathy at the Beach
05-04-2010, 04:07 PM
I think this may be a good place to post this. In many threads I cannot access anything except page 1. There is no box that offers clicking to subsquent pages. (both at the top of the screen and at the bottom)

Most recently in Show and Tell the thread where muranosilver offers the challenge- plastic deformation- I have posted twice in response to Nic's post and the posts are not visable to me. (they are obviously on page 2 which I can't get to) I've tried opening in another window to see if that would do it but no....

Am I doing something wrong- or is this a glitch.

Two threads down- entitled "I'm new to this forum" works fine- I have the pages to click on both at the top and bottom.

Down from that- "magic bunny" thread- has no page numbers- I can get 6 posts only

The next thread down "rudimentary jewellery" is fine....have the page numbers.

The next one down "steve's efforts" have no page numbers either and the last post I can see isn't numbered either. (previous one is #6)

I could go on and on giving examples- but I think what I've put here shows its pretty erratic.

help!!!!