PDA

View Full Version : Help please !!!!

lorraine
27-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Could anyone please tell me if this is possible, or advise a better way.
I would like to make a spinner ring and would like to use pmc for the main part of the ring as i would like it to be quite detailed, I would like to add a couple of spinning rings after the pmc has been fired but am a bit stuck as to the best way, and will soldering the rings be ok against the fired pmc ? Any help would be appreciated ! Thanks:

MuranoSilver
27-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Lorraine ~Yes it would be fine to solder the other metals against the pmc
Just be careful not to solder them to the PMC (I've done it myself,lol) :)

For sterling spinner rings I normally make the spinner seperately then flare the rings edges to keep them on..
Not sure if this would work with PMC as it's not as malleable as sterling (or even fine silver) sheet
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4031/4301502113_4afd9fe448_m.jpg
Another option would be to make the ring with a flared top (like a cotton reel)
Attach the bottom before firing fire both components.
Solder the spinners (using hard) off the band pop them onto the ring
Solder on the top band with easy (to hold it all together)

Hope that makes sense
Nic xx

lorraine
28-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Thankyou for your help, I shall get started now with the pmc.....i think, not sure, maybe i shall try the flaring out method......yours looks lovely, what do you use to flare the edges ?

MuranoSilver
28-03-2010, 08:04 AM
You can use a curved stake (sinusoidal again, lol)
or for a smaller size a big ball ended punch.
(the sort you use when making domes in a block)

With pmc it would need to be fired high and long to stand making it through the bashing process.
e.g. 950 degrees for 1 1/2 hours
Anneal regularly so not to split the ring edge. :Y:
nic xx

jille
28-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Lovely ring Nic, I didn't know what a spinner ring was, now I'm showing my ignorance
Jill

lorraine
28-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Thankyou again, i dont have either of the tools you mention for flaring !!! so ithink i will stick with the cotton reel shape made from pmc and add the sterling wire after seems like the most straightforward way........without buying any more tools !:)