PDA

View Full Version : First photos with booth & new camera

MuranoSilver
25-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Here's some pics I've taken with my New Camera
I've got some wotk to do but starting to get there!
The white background are the most difficult shots as the silver does tend to lose it's edge definition..
http://www.muranosilver.com/shop/images/Nick-Hubbard-Cats-Whiskers-2.jpg
http://www.muranosilver.com/shop/images/Nick-Hubbard-Cats-Whiskers-Cufflinks.jpg
http://www.muranosilver.com/shop/images/Love-Letters-Necklace.jpg
http://www.muranosilver.com/shop/images/inscribed-love-necklace.jpg
Any suggestions are welcome!
Nic xx
P.S> Cufflinks by Nick Hubbard
2 x Pendants by me!

Lindyloo
25-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Did you get a light tent too? Photos look great.

MuranoSilver
25-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I got one of those light boxes from one of the suppliers at the Spring Fair
Still trying to work out the best settings though :confused:
but thank you for liking the results so far :D
nic xx

jille
26-03-2010, 07:51 AM
I really like your photo's and your jewellery pieces. I keep promising myself to practice a bit of photography but I never seem to find time. I bought a light tent but when it arrived it was big enough to camp out in so now I use a clear plastic storage box on it's side, it diffuses the light ok and I curve a piece of vinyl floor covering wrong side up or card or whatever for the background.
Maybe I can play with camera settings at easter if I have some time to myself

AlexandraBuckle
26-03-2010, 09:03 AM
I think those photos look very good!

MuranoSilver
26-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks jille & Alexandra
I think it's the lighting I'm finding difficult. The pieces details are showing up but the image looks a little "flat".
Probably need some kind of highlights but that would involve getting the big light tent out again...

Nic xx

Gemma
26-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Very cute cufflinks!

Love the detail you've captured in the pics. I agree though- in part. The one with the white background does look a little flat. I much prefer the darker background. The silver looks more silvery plus they are much more 3D

MuranoSilver
26-03-2010, 01:53 PM
I prefer the dark background too ~
was trying the whirte as it's what you tend to see on shop sites....
Maybe I'll just dare to be different ;)
Nic x

Ominicci
27-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Is the dark background what is called a 'Grey Card' in photography speak? (Even though it IS a grey card!) I wondered if that is what Vic (Flickr - Experimetal) took her pics on. I think it is a really good background for silver.

MuranoSilver
27-03-2010, 04:53 PM
It one of my homemade printed out photo backgrounds :)
http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/photography-images/448-making-photography-background.html
Nic xx

LillyTea
13-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Could I ask do you use natural lighting or natural light bulbs?

I bought myself a cheap light tent from Amazon a while ago but just can’t make the images look any good and figure it’s to do with the lighting. Even if I Photoshop the background it appears to have a pinkish tinge!

MuranoSilver
13-04-2010, 03:14 PM
I use daylight bulbs in my big set up and this light box had LED's
There are normally settings on the camera to tell it what type of light
it's using e.g. incandescent have a fiddle with those and see if that helps :)
Nic xx

Jodie
21-04-2010, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=MuranoSilver;33618]I got one of those light boxes from one of the suppliers at the Spring Fair

do you mind my asking if it was a cubelite or digital imaging box that you bought? I saw both at spring fair and keep comparing the leaflets but just can't make up my mind.

MuranoSilver
22-04-2010, 07:26 AM
It was the smaller of the two black ones (sorry it's all fitted in now so can't pull it forward)
not a cube light though :)
Nic x

amazingbabe
22-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Great pics Nic... I always thought your pics were great anyway...... It is one of my big downfalls........

Lou
22-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Eugh, photography is the bane of my life!

Great pics though, I like the grey background the best.

caroleallen
22-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Do you think your new set-up is better than your old one Nic? I've got a little pop-up cube and daylight lamps which is, I think, what you used previously. I really struggle to get everything in the right position. Quite often, even though I've got the 2 big lights on, the flash pops up on my camera. I don't know where I'm going wrong.

Lou
23-04-2010, 08:26 AM
P.S how did you get the writing so neat on those cufflinks?? :)

jewellerybymia
23-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi Nic :)
Love the pics and the phtoto results. They're brilliant. I really envy you, I bought one of those tent thingies with the lights, but can't get anywhere near yours with my prictures. :( not sure where I'm going wrong, but getting really frustrated now, as got lots of new stock and no pictures. :(
Mia x

MuranoSilver
23-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Do you think your new set-up is better than your old one Nic? I've got a little pop-up cube and daylight lamps which is, I think, what you used previously. I really struggle to get everything in the right position. Quite often, even though I've got the 2 big lights on, the flash pops up on my camera. I don't know where I'm going wrong.
Carole
I actually think my light tent set up and seperate lights were marginally better than this ready made option.
The flash thing happens to me too (with both options) but I just set the flash to off and make sure I use a tripod.
Haven't used the light tent since I got this though, as this is so much more convenient!

P.S how did you get the writing so neat on those cufflinks?? :)
They're one of my Nick Hubbard Jewellery pieces (http://www.muranosilver.com/shop/nick-hubbard-m-13.html?osCsid=501dc2d034f03f9937ca5b65c57bc37c)(o ne of the Designers whose work I sell in my shop).
We've visited each others workshops and Nick showed me how he did such neat writing, a combo of engravers and tiny burrs...

Hi Nic :)
Love the pics and the phtoto results. They're brilliant. I really envy you, I bought one of those tent thingies with the lights, but can't get anywhere near yours with my prictures. :( not sure where I'm going wrong, but getting really frustrated now, as got lots of new stock and no pictures. :(
Mia x
I always choose cameras with good macro settings, use a tripod and alter light levels after in photo shop
(Hope that helps)

Nicxx

Jodie
06-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Thank you - this thread finally made me make a decision!!

I finally stopped prevaricating and ordered an imaging box, which arrived yesterday. I only had time for a quick play today and although I haven't got the pics onto the computer yet, from what I can see on the camera they look pretty good.

J.

MuranoSilver
06-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Glad it's working out for you Jodie!
Let me know if you find any tweeks which work particularly well :)
Nic xx