PDA

View Full Version : Now I've gone and done it...

Di Sandland
31-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Have sold myself so well that, even without any samples, I have managed to get myself into two fairs at a local National Trust property (Arlington House). Gonna have to come up with the goods now =:-O

I've done National Trust fairs before with my woodturning and very successful they were too - especially just before Christmas, which one of these is (the other is in October) but I had built up my stock before booking. All I did was express interest and when I talked up the 'local' angle they near bit me hand off :rofl:

Better start working as I only have six pieces in my inventory at the moment.

Any advice, tips, calming recipes gratefully received.

Hazel
31-07-2009, 03:45 PM
No advice, as I've never done a proper craft fair, but I just wanted to say I'm sure it'll turn out fine (and that you're very brave!), especially seeing as you know what to expect from National Trust fairs.

I know when I have a deadline, I try to make myself stay focused and not get distracted by self-doubt, so I can get it all done. (I have to shout "Stop thinking, just do it! in my head!)

Huh. Well, I guess that was sort of like advice :)

myke
31-07-2009, 03:50 PM
you will have too turn the computer off maybe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there nothing like abit of pressure to get things moving. you will do it

Di Sandland
31-07-2009, 03:51 PM
What - I didn't know you could turn computers off Myke!

julie
31-07-2009, 03:55 PM
well done :D

bustagasket
31-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Di, theres a green dot by your name, GET WORKING!"!!!

The Bijou Dragon
31-07-2009, 10:30 PM
WOW Congrats... I'm sure you'll get everything done in time and have a wonderful time to boot!

Coco
01-08-2009, 09:26 AM
OOOh! Congratulations! What kind of jewellery do you make? And how much do you need? And, and and how do you get a slot at a fair?

God, I'm excited about it and I'm not even involved! :dance: :rofl: :-D

Ominicci
01-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Di - I hope you mean Arlington Court, not House as that is in Eastbourne? =:-
O

When is it? Is it the Victorian Christmas Fair on 5th & 6th Dec? I could come down to pick up my Nanna and come and see you!

Di Sandland
01-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Arlington Court, not House

Oops #-o - yeah, its Arlington Court. I'm doing the Harvest one at the end of October and the Victorian Christmas in December. It would be great to see you - and anybody else for that matter :)

Have been over there today - my jewellery is all locally inspired and I thought it would be good to have some pieces inspired by the place itself. What a goldmine it is too - peacocks and beautiful flowers in the grounds and high Victoriana inside. Additionally, the last owner was a bit of a collector so the place is full of all sorts of wonders - lots and lots of inspiration.

ben b
01-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Have you got your own hallmark (assay office registration)?
If so, and short on stock, buy a load of import silver jewellery, have it marked as your own.....bobs your uncle, and though your aunty may say your a sharleton, your bank manager will think highly of you.
Wer'e all doing it.

kymbi
01-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Wer'e all doing it.

Are we?

I'm not...

AlexandraBuckle
02-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Are we?

I'm not...

Me neither...

Sheltie
02-08-2009, 08:15 PM
If so, and short on stock, buy a load of import silver jewellery, have it marked as your own.....bobs your uncle, and though your aunty may say your a sharleton, your bank manager will think highly of you.
Wer'e all doing it.

Make that me three

Good luck with the fairs and as Myke says nothing like pressure to get you going. I know it works for me

bustagasket
02-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Di - I hope you mean Arlington Court, not House as that is in Eastbourne? =:-
O

Did someone mention Eastbourne? Thats just down the road from me, we keep our boat at the marina there! Dang wait, you made a mistake and it isnt the one there :(

Ominicci
03-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Okay Di, both are down on my calendar to remind me they are on and see what I am doing around then - although the Oct one is competing with the Cheltenham or Harrogate Bead fairs and 25th is my Mum's birthday. So December looking more likely. :Y:

We'll have to have a 'Forum Members Meet' thread with pics!! Camera smiley needed!

Ominicci
03-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Almost missed that - SU. BOAT. MARINA!!!! :cool:

Di Sandland
03-08-2009, 09:41 AM
OMG - I missed it too! Come on Su - spill about the boat, the marina and how the other half live ;)

bustagasket
03-08-2009, 11:55 AM
LMAO dont get too carried away, we had a speed boat cruiser thing, a Windy22 Sport, not a new boat, built in 1986, she is lovely but as she was mostly being used for fishing we didnt want her leather and nice woodwork to get ruined so she is now up for sale on our forecourt, and in its place at the marina Pete and Val *(the receptionist) have bought a proper fishing boat, although thats at the garage atm having some work done on her. So nothing glamerous to get excited about lol I dont really see Pete as they spend every spare moment fishing or getting stuff for the boat. They have disappeared off all over the place. They drove up to Morpeth to get the boat itself. Then stayed overnight before bringing it back.

Di Sandland
03-08-2009, 12:28 PM
So - he's got his boats and fishing - does his hobby pay for itself ;)

bustagasket
03-08-2009, 12:45 PM
So - he's got his boats and fishing - does his hobby pay for itself ;)

Yeah i know, it occurs to me every day, all the fuel to get to the boat, the mooring fees, the lug etc etc, and its being overhauled atm, but he conveniently forget about that

MuranoSilver
03-08-2009, 02:24 PM
buy a load of import silver jewellery, have it marked as your own.....bobs your uncle, and though your aunty may say your a sharleton, your bank manager will think highly of you.
Wer'e all doing it.

I'm not either.....would make me feel very uncomfortable :(

Di Sandland
03-08-2009, 02:29 PM
I have to say that marking imports as my own goes against every fibre of my being - and it wouldn't look like mine anyways!

Rustic Charm
03-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Wer'e all doing it.

I couldn't do this either i find it totally unethically and gives the real craftsmen/women a bad name!!!! We work hard to obtain originality and recognition for our work, doing something like that turns our craftmanship in to a farce!!!!!![-X