PDA

View Full Version : Anodising silver on Youtube

jille
22-03-2010, 06:36 AM
YouTube - Make Silver Different Colors by Anodizing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrA7Jyw1uOs)

mizgeorge
22-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Are they not just making a solution of liver of sulphur?

Di Sandland
22-03-2010, 08:07 AM
I wondered the same thing George - I like the rainbow effect but I think they're just the range of LoS colours

ps_bond
22-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Sodium sulphite, I think. Plenty of free sulphur to combine with the silver.

That's a very strong solution of sodium hydroxide they're working with too - there's a half-hearted mention in the text about it being exothermic. Honestly? Despite having everything I'd need on hand, I think I'll stick with Platinol.

I'd always worked with the definition of anodising being an oxide layer formation though...

jille
22-03-2010, 09:33 AM
I thought patination was a layer deposited on the surface of the metal but anodising changes the metal surface, i could be totally wrong as I don't know much about these techniques, I'm just looking and learning, that's why I wanted your thoughts.
I'm a sponge !!!:):):)

MartinWann
23-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Hi everybody!

I've determined to...

...get myself permanently banned for spamming...

bustagasket
23-03-2010, 09:10 AM
interesting vid for a noob like me tho, dont think i would indulge in the chemicals at this stage but as i am attracted by electric blues and purples it certainly grabbed my attention :)

jille
23-03-2010, 09:56 AM
yes i like those colours too, I have tried liquid liver of sulpher to try and achieve a rainbow of colours but it didn't work, just went from a golden brown to black. I just painted it on, should i have diluted it in water?
a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous but experimenting is a lot of fun :)

Dennis
23-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Unfortunately all these attractive intermediate colours turn to grey eventually due to sulphur compounds in the atmosphere. No amount of waxing willstop this, only laquering, so I don' see the point really, do you?

jille
23-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks Dennis for telling me what my books didn't, now i don't see the point either

Coco
30-03-2010, 11:10 AM
There's always a point in trying things....unless it's something ridiculous like microwaving your head which is a really bad idea don't do it!

Are the above mentioned chemicals as evil as nitric acid or are they relatively friendly as long as your attitude towards them is nothing but sensible?

goldflinger
11-03-2011, 09:12 PM
ive just successfully microwaved my head ...its still a little hot at the moment and smells a bit like a cumberland sausage (with barbque sauce) and the skin is a little singed too almost black .....
seriously tho i am interested in anodisin silver to turn it black (which is what everybody seems to be good at :) ) .........

has any one produced silver anodizing in black using a home kit ?? anyone got pics
thanks

mizgeorge
11-03-2011, 09:48 PM
ive just successfully microwaved my head ...its still a little hot at the moment and smells a bit like a cumberland sausage (with barbque sauce) and the skin is a little singed too almost black .....
seriously tho i am interested in anodisin silver to turn it black (which is what everybody seems to be good at :) ) .........

has any one produced silver anodizing in black using a home kit ?? anyone got pics
thanks

Why not just use platinol?