PDA

View Full Version : Which Kiln?

Loopy
21-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Hi
I'm looking at investing in a kiln, and wanted a low cost use at home one. I've had a look on charryhaven which my PMC tutor suggested but I can't navigate the website that easily and finding a price seems impossible!

So if you have a kiln, which one is it and how much did it cost?

Thanks in advance

Loopy

Loopy
21-03-2010, 08:32 PM
oooppps - just seen the thread below. Sorry xx

isabellabrown
24-03-2010, 03:43 AM
Making the decision to buy a kiln is a big step for most of us. I spent a lot of time and research before I decided which kiln was right for my needs. Hopefully, my research can also help you decide which kiln is right for your needs. You need to ask yourself two questions: What will I use this for today? What might I use this for tomorrow? I knew I wanted to buy a kiln so I could make fused glass jewelry. I also knew that some day I would want to use the same kiln for casting purposes. You can’t predict the future, but since you will probably be spending around $300-500, you want to make sure your kiln can be used for a variety of purposes.

Fi Wilson
24-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Loopy, CherryHaven isn't one of the easiest websites to navigate and there are other sites that seem to link into the same shop, so whenever I came across the familiar black background I came right out of the page and carried on looking elsewhere.

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and had my choices down to 2 kilns which were dependent on 2 issues: kiln chamber size and programmer. I was advised to go with the one with a programmer (which also had the bigger chamber size) as I was intending to do metal clay in it and having a programmer enabled more flexibility for using the bronze, copper, steel and silver clays in the future. It would also enable me to make more pieces once I got going properly due to the larger chamber size.

I'm going for the very popular Paragon SC2 but the Kitiki/Prometheus kiln are also well regarded. Try looking at some of these sites too www.warm-glass.co.uk (http://www.warm-glass.co.uk), www.somata-pmc.co.uk (http://www.somata-pmc.co.uk) and www.saskiaroseworkshops.co.uk (http://www.saskiaroseworkshops.co.uk) Basically, just keep Googling and then take the plunge! It's very scary but it will be an investment.

Hope this helps.

Fi

MuranoSilver
24-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Great advice and links Fi :Y:
So you chose the Paragon SC2 - I so, so love mine and wouldn't be without it!
Nic xx

CeliaDM
24-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Good golly, what a wonderfully informative thread, a kiln is most certainly on my shopping list and i would like one as soon as possible. I am fortunate in that my close friend Rita has a small kiln and she was gracious enough to offer me the use of it any time I desire. So at the very least I have a means to play whilst yearning for mine.

MuranoSilver
24-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Great friend to have! :)

Fi Wilson
25-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Yes, I went for the good old Paragon in the end Nic. Well as of this morning when I placed the order. Thanks for the advice. Just trying not to think of the credit card bill!!! :'(

elliboo
25-03-2010, 12:52 PM
I've got an SC2 as well. I've only had it for a couple of months but I love it!
If you're buying it to help start a business (or, I think, within 3 years of start up) like I was you might be able to get some funding from business link (think that's the national name - it's Sheffield Enterprise Agency here). They have been great so far with me, and funded my kiln (mine has a bead door too as they were paying!) and a rolling mill. It might be worth getting in touch.

CeliaDM
25-03-2010, 04:04 PM
I spent hours last night on a search engine looking for kilns and it would seem that the Paragon SC2 is the one to go for, so I have told Gerald my husband that he can treat me to one for my birthday which is only 2 months away. He didn't look at all pleased when I ushered him over to the computer to reveal the price though.

Di Sandland
25-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Celia - I have the SC2 (with a bead door). It's a fabulous piece of kit. Have you seen lampwork beads at all? They are like amazing miniature works of art and I'm sure you'll be smitten once you've seen them.

That's what the bead door on the kiln is for - annealing the beads when they've been made. If you're an eclectic craft maker - and it seems that you are - I suggest you tell Gerald that the kiln with a bead door is the one you want.

Loopy
26-03-2010, 07:49 AM
I've got an SC2 as well. I've only had it for a couple of months but I love it!
If you're buying it to help start a business (or, I think, within 3 years of start up) like I was you might be able to get some funding from business link (think that's the national name - it's Sheffield Enterprise Agency here). They have been great so far with me, and funded my kiln (mine has a bead door too as they were paying!) and a rolling mill. It might be worth getting in touch.

Ooohhh yes, fab idea! A few of my friends have got funding through business link

Fi Wilson
29-03-2010, 05:11 PM
OK, received my shiney new blue Paragon SC2 kiln today! :rofl:Opened it up and the "soft ceramic fiber shelf, which comes standard with the kiln" (text taken from p5 of the manual) isn't there. Did anyone else get one with their kiln and should be in there or is this just something that applies the Americans (as they're built there)?

The supplier only went on about getting an additional shelf kit if you were going to do lampwork, which I'm not, so I didn't get one.

Help!!
Fi

Di Sandland
29-03-2010, 10:14 PM
yes, I got a shelf and four shelf posts. One of the shelf posts was broken so I phoned and they sent me four replacements.

Fi Wilson
30-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Hmm, thought I should get something to at least protect the bottom of my kiln. Anyway, just phoned the nice people and they're sending me a shelf today. Hurrah! Hopefully I'll be able to christen Kenny (the kiln) over the Easter weekend!!

MuranoSilver
30-03-2010, 10:12 AM
OMG how exciting, bet you can't wait!
Might be worth while getting an extra shelf and some kiln posts too
(then you can fire multiple layers)
Nic x

Fi Wilson
30-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Yes, I definitely think additional shelves and posts are on the shopping list in another month or two. Got to try and figure out where to put the kiln first though and decipher the instructions. All the talk about ramp-hold and thermocouples is a bit scary!

MuranoSilver
30-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Here's a video demo on how to progamme the kiln :)
YouTube - Paragon SC Series Kiln Programming (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyJc0tiwi1Y)
If it helps for PMC I use full ramp and fire at 950 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
It would be different if you had glass or natural stones though ;)
Nic x

Fi Wilson
30-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Ooh, fab! Thanks Nic, I'll have a look at that.

Lynne Glazzard
05-04-2010, 09:26 AM
I have a variety of kilns for different purposes. I have been enamelling for 13 years (that is my excuse anyway!). My favourite at the moment is an Evenheat kiln, very fast and it has a digital programmer with a variety of settings that can be adjusted. I don't use this to anneal lamp worked beads though as it cools rapidly so I use a Uhlig kiln with a Stafford Instruments controller with very precise 9 stage settings to ramp up and down.

For anyone looking you should also try Corby Kilns corbykilns, No1 supplier of kiln craft materials in the uk (http://www.corbykilns.co.uk) and Vitrum Signum Vitrum Signum :: Enameling Equipment & Supplies (http://v1.vitrumsignum.com/)

My advice though is to buy the best you can possibly afford, think of all the things you definitely want to use it for - then add things you might like to try!

Laceyloudesign
16-08-2010, 04:17 PM
I have only recently started on silver polymer clay and hooked already. I am considering a kiln at the moment (I bought a really cheap tiny - cup sized one, and while it got me started, I now want a 'proper' one!!)
Its interesting reading this thread, but can anyone tell me what I should be l should be considering in making this investment? obviously size of the inside is one factor (as is where to put a bigger one!) but anything else thats important that I might overlook in my excitment at making this purchase?
A friend recommended the Evenheat one, but apart from that I don't actually know anyone with one to ask much about it.
Thank you,
Louise