PDA

View Full Version : Masters Registry anyone?

Fi Wilson
17-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi, I'm debating whether to enrol on the Masters Registry (http://www.mastersregistry.com/overview.php) as a means of challenging myself instead of sticking with the safe stuff I know how to do with metal clay. I was just wondering if anyone had registered (I know Nic has from a comment in another thread) and how they were doing, what challenges they're facing, whether you'd recommend it.

Fi

Jasmin
17-03-2010, 11:03 PM
I've ogled at that site sooo often, wondering if I'd be up to it (or if I'll ever have the money to do it) - definitely a brilliant challenge, but seeing as I've *just today* sent off my pieces for the Art Clay Guild Level II cert - I'm giving up challenges for a little while! :)

My tutor is more than halfway through the registry levels and omg her pieces are amazing. She did say to me that one of the worst bits about it though is the having to put these very valuable pieces in the normal post to the US as the couriers won't take them... I feel nervous already.

Jx

MuranoSilver
18-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Sounds like something Julia Rai would say, lol
I've enrolled in the Masters and plan to take my first pieces with me to the conference in July..(fingers crossed)
Thereare some amazing pieces on the registry and one thing it is good for is stretching you as an artist :D
Nic xx

Jasmin
18-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Julia did indeed say that! Can't wait to see your registry pieces, Nic. Do you know already which categories you will be doing? I'm sure they'll be wonderful.

I'd also say, Fi, I think the masters registry adds a lot of kudos to your work so it may well indirectly pay for itself further down the line. And there is the additional exposure too...

[Ui, just realised I've been on the forum incognito - sorry, I'm going to try and add a proper signature to later posts]

Jasmin x
jasminstudio.com (http://www.jasminstudio.com)

MuranoSilver
18-03-2010, 01:21 PM
For those who dont have a clue what we're banging on about:
Metal Clay - Masters Registry (http://www.mastersregistry.com/overview.php)
(click Meet the masters to see of the work produced)

Jasmin I *think* my first categories will be:
Construction:
A4 Constructed Box or A9 Necklace with Handmade Chain
as well as A5 Sleeve Container Pendant

Colour:
B6 Resin (epoxy) into a wearable piece
B7 Plastic in a Tool or Utensil

Materials:
C4 Bracelet of Frames that contain Images
C6 Rigid Plastic (e.g. Faux Bone) or C7 using a Natural material

Metals:
D2 Gold layer as Detail with either
D4 Keum-boo on a spoon bowl or
D7 Combine Metal Clay with a white metal
D9 Manufactured Components (done, maybe, perhaps)

Miscellaneous:
E1 Duplicate a Votive Figure from an Earlier Culture
E2 Design a Hallmark, Make a Stamp

That should keep me busy ;)
Nic xx

Jasmin
18-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Oh wow. That will be an amazing collection when they're ready. I can't wait to see them. It would take me two years to do them all!

I wonder if you can use copper and bronze or steel clays instead of silver for the projects that lend themselves to it? I mean not the keum boo ones for instance. That would make a big difference in the cost of the projects.

Hmm, another seed of an idea planted, not that I needed another seed...

Jasmin x
jasminstudio.com (http://www.jasminstudio.com)

elliboo
18-03-2010, 07:13 PM
I'd love to do this, but I already have my Art Clay level 2 booked for May, and then classes with Hattie Sanderson and Hadar Jacobson at Craftworx so my budget is more than blown :( Maybe next year. I'm looking forward to seeing your pieces Nic when they're done :)

MuranoSilver
19-03-2010, 07:53 AM
I'm going to do Hadars Mixed Metal class at Craftworx too :)
Nic x

vsilvered
19-03-2010, 09:07 AM
You lucky things!

I'd love to do Hadar's class in June, but I live in London with no car, so the logistics of getting there, somewhere to stay etc are tricky.

Her podcast on her site (http://www.artinsilver.com/blog/) where she talks amongst other things, about her view about her work is very interesting.

The woman's work, just rocks out of the park, as far as I'm concerned, as well as all the innovative products she's created (Copper, Bronze, Steel, Stainless Steel clay), she's now invented a White Bronze clay which looks lush!

Regards,

Vi

Fi Wilson
21-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Nic, you've got things really sussed. I'm just about getting my head around the stuff that I think I'm capable of but then I come across the old thought of 'how the h*ll do I do that?'!!1

As far as the bronze and copper go I'm not sure. If I do decide to enrol I think I'll be practicing pieces in the cheaper of bronze and copper. Think it's copper. I've seen it for around £20 for 100g so it might be more feasible way of getting pieces perfect before they have to be submitted in silver/gold.

Still can't stop myself drooling with amazement at the pieces on that website!

Fi

MuranoSilver
29-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks Fi!
Julia Rai has just finished a fantastic website which is a great resource for anyone considering the Masters Registry
Welcome to the Website of Metal Clay Teacher and Artist Julia Rai (http://www.juliarai.co.uk/)
She goes through all the projects she's done so far and shares feedback and info with you.
It's fantabulous!
nic xx

Fi Wilson
29-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Ooh, that site's been developed since I last looked a bit ago. She goes into much more detail now about the pieces which is really good. What I also liked (don't know if she still does it on the 'new' site as only just skimmed it) was how she owned up to having to resubmit some of her pieces. Gives us mere mortals hope!! Must take time to read through the info/write up for each piece.

Fi

Lynne Glazzard
05-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Yes, absolutely definately to the Masters Registry! I have just got my level 1. Living and working on my own I really enjoyed the chance for work to be scrutinised and criticised by people I really respect. Initially I thought I would do them in order so started A1 - the three geometric forms (I did the cone) and A2 bi-cone bead. I realised I needed to start on another tack (I am very self critical anyway) as I wasn't very happy with the standard of the pieces I had made - this is the whole point of the programme for me though, to take my work up to a new level and craftsmanship. I submitted A4 Constructed box and A7 Graduated beads; B3 Torch fired enamel earrings and B4 Basse taille enamel panel; C3 Five glass panels (I made 16) and C5 Fibula; D2 Gold paste as detail and D3 Gold paste full cover; E3 Metal clay paper and E5 Multiples challenge. The E3 and E5 didn't pass on my first submission and I had to re-design, re-make and re-submit but was quite happy about this and totally agreed with the feedback. On my re-submission I sent three pieces E2 Hallmark and stamp, E3 Paper, E5 Multiples - and passed all three - so I have 11 pieces now in total.
My pieces are on the website under 'Meet the Masters' and it is a real thrill to be part of it. Another bonus is that your pieces are professionally photographed so when they are returned you receive a cd of photos.

vsilvered
05-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi Lynne,

Fantastic stuff in your Masters Registry submission.. I especially like the 'Experiments with Glass'.

Did you fire the metal clay first and is it sitting on top of the glass or embedded inside it? However, you did it, it's created a beautiful effect. :)

As for Tim McCreight's pieces.. man.. when he does 'shiney', it's SHINEY! Fantastic finishing.
His minature tumbler, complete with barrel and motor where all the metal bits are constructed out of metal clay is outstanding work.

That's what I like about the Masters Registry, its inspiring, seeing talented artists really pushing the envelope in terms of design/form with this amazing medium.

Great work!

FiredSilver
06-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Hi everyone

I'm fairly new here, but I know some of you so I'll jump in!!! I'm working on the MR too. I've selected my 10 projects for level 1, have sorted out the designs for about half of them, have made one piece which I then threw into the coffee grinder in disgust!! I registered in April 09, so you can see how well I'm doing with it!!

I think maybe I'm being a bit over-critical of my work, but hey-ho thats what the MR is all about isn't it??!! I love the challenge despite the traumas, and I'd definitey recomend it if you want to really explore metal clay and push your skills. I've been using PMC for 5 years now, and I'm loving the learning curve. Hubby is not enjoying the trauma!

Becci
xx

Lou
18-04-2010, 04:58 PM
I am going to do this and register when I have the funds! One of the reasons I want to do it as well as streching myself is that it can be done in my own time without having to go anywhere. Living in France and not speaking French makes it a litte difficult to attend courses. Eventually I want to do my ACS level 2 but that can wait for now :)