PDA

View Full Version : Question about Polishing a Resin Cast

descolada
13-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Hi All,

My question relates to polishing a resin cast.

I have been experimenting with clear resin casting and am getting the hang of resin/fixer proportions as well as techniques such as embedments.

Once the resin piece has been released from the mould I use wet and dry sandpaper to remove the rough edges as well as to smooth the top surface (which is slightly dappled as a result of the drying process).

Obviously once the sanding process has completed (I start with a rough grit and work up to an ultra fine 2500 paper) I am left with a piece that has a cloudy surface.

I want to return this to the crystal clear still evident in the sides and the bottom.

I have read a little about this and much of the recommendations revolve around using carnauba wax to return the surface to to it's former glory. This works up to a point but I have been unable to bring back the original clarity.

Has anyone any experience of this sort of thing and could you suggest any solutions?

Thanks

Descolada

MuranoSilver
14-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Sorry I don't do a lot with resin - but there's a great vid I found on you tube
YouTube - Sanding & Polishing Resin Jewelry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nztqte82IW0)
She used the 4 sided nail boards :)
Nic x

caroleallen
14-03-2010, 06:26 PM
I was taught to polish with a mop and dialux polish. Brings it up to a fantastic shine.

mizgeorge
14-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Any particular colour of dialux Carole? Or just work through as though for metal?

caroleallen
14-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Can't remember off hand George. Too lazy to go and look now. I'll try and remember to look tomorrow.

descolada
14-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Sorry I don't do a lot with resin - but there's a great vid I found on you tube <link>

She used the 4 sided nail boards :)
Nic x

Hello MuranoSilver.

Yes, I have seen this vid. I am not sure where I would get such boards and wonder how this might help, I am pretty sure it won't be greater than the 2500 grip wet and dry I have been trying. I can't get much finer grit than this so am sure that the answer is in the polishing.

Thanks again for your answer.

descolada

mizgeorge
14-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Micromesh goes to 12000 - so really a lot finer. The only time I've done this (with cold resins mind you) I just used micromesh through to 12000 and then rouge. It came up really very shiny!

Dennis
14-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Traditionally the final polish for resin is Vonax, p648 of the Cook Book. I note that it is spelled two ways on this page, and that a smaller bar is from Dialux, as mentioned by Carole, but I cannot be sure it is the same thing. It is applied with a cotton mop on the polishing lathe for a large piece and a cotton mop for pendant motor for a small piece, pages 650 and 643. You need to use a light touch and lots of movement to avoid over heating the resin.

For pre-polishing you can actually use Tripoly, on a calico wheel, it does not scratch like sand paper. The light touch and movement apply as resin becomes sticky if over- heated. Dennis.

descolada
14-03-2010, 09:11 PM
This is really useful information. Thank you very much to both Dennis and Mizgeorge. I will do some research into this stuff and see what happens.

Descolada

Dennis
14-03-2010, 09:49 PM
I actually came back in a panic and amended my piece above as I cannot be certain of the Dialux. Perhaps Carole will find that in her notes. Dennis.

EndevaJewellery
15-03-2010, 12:15 AM
I think it's a yellow Dialux for polishing plastics etc.