PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Make This Pendant Out of PMC?

surfergirl
10-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi

I wondered if you amazingly talented people could help?

I want to create a pendant with text on the back. The pendant is to be round and domed and I had the idea of using PMC paper to write my message and fix this to the back of the dome (the concave surface).

Questions:
- Would this actually work?!
- How would the shrinkage of PMC paper affect the text - would it still be legible?
- What does the finished text look like when using PMC paper - is it 'engraved' or.....?
- I didn't want to type/print the text as it's not a Latin script - would basic handwriting with a pencil work or would I need to engrave the text on the paper with a scribe of sorts? From what I understand, PMC paper is pretty thin.
- Once attached to the main pendent, does it matter which way up it is when firing? I wouldn't want to damage the surface of the paper by using a direct torch flame - can the paper type still sinter fully if firing from the front side?

As I have some left over ACS, I intend to make the pendant out of this, fire (with a torch) and attach the PMC paper message to the back of the fired piece and again fire with a torch. How would I attach green PMC paper type to fired ACS? With Slip? Oil? I need to be able to fire the item with a torch as I don't have a kiln :( or even access to one double :(

And...before someone (quite rightly?) points out that PMC paper and Oil cannot be fired with a torch - I read experiments of this working no problem so long as the item is small, so I'm willing to give it a go.

Perhaps this isn't the best way of making such a pendant it but am thinking along the lines of different shrinkage rates for the two types of clay would leave more to chance when firing the whole pendent at the same time - I have a design which I'd like to render as 'perfectly' as possible.

BTW, the reason for me wanting to use paper type is because the pendant is going to be domed - I would need the clay to be flat as I write the message, but then the clay needs to be flexible enough to be shaped to fit the concave shape.

I have thought about 'flexible' clay (PMC with lavender oil) but do not know if the above message idea will work.

I've seen Nic's blog on how to write on clay type clay - very informative, Nic AND a great blog :Y: But I think I would defintely struggle with this technique to engrave a message legibly on a non-flat surface. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can make this (it's for my mum's birthday!) I'd be extremely grateful.

Thank you :)

MuranoSilver
10-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Paper Clay isn't really all that strong and might not make it through the writing process let alone the attaching it to the pendant.
It also doesn't like liquid (water or oil) so it isn't something I'd suggest at the first option for adding text...
certainly fraught with more pitfalls then carefully inscribing the pendant whilst in it's clay stage.

Another option would be to use polymer clay and paper to make a shallow "texture sheet" get a thick card
like paper and using a thick ended ball point inscribe your text as heavily as possible...you need to make a deep impression.
Roll out polymer clay thinly add a thin dusting of cornstarch (to stop it sticking to the paper) then roll it onto the paper.
When you lift if up you should *all being well* have a reverse of your text.
Follow the instructions & bake it in the oven to harden it..

Oil the polymer clay impression sheet then use as normal to create your pmc version (which will then be the right way round).
At this point I'd use a circle cutter to make your round shape and dry over a light-bulb or curved surface to form your dome.
Torch fire carefully as a dome tends to get heatspots...

Nic x

surfergirl
10-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Paper Clay isn't really all that strong and might not make it through the writing process let alone the attaching it to the pendant.
It also doesn't like liquid (water or oil) so it isn't something I'd suggest at the first option for adding text...
certainly fraught with more pitfalls then carefully inscribing the pendant whilst in it's clay stage.

Thanks for the info on the paper type - I haven't seen anything about text on Paper Clay - and your explanation gives me a good idea why! I now remember reading that white glue is used to fix Paper Clay to itself....I'll stay well clear for this project!

Great idea about the polymer clay texture sheet. I've got some which I've been wanting to use for something....I'll feel some experiments coming on....:ta: (I will take photos and post, of course)

Regards torch firing the dome shape...as well as making sure it's evenly heated, would the dome need to be resting on vermiculite or something to ensure the dome doesn't collapse? I ask as I've read that lentil shapes should be fired (in a kiln) on their sides as they are prone to collapsing, would the same be true for domes....any thoughts on this? :)

Cheers :)

MuranoSilver
10-03-2010, 04:45 PM
I fire in the kiln and use a fibre blanket - vermiculite may blow away with the torch flame...
so maybe a fibre blanket would work for you too :)
Yes please I'd love to see pictures, bet it will look fab!
Nic xx

abyjem
10-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi,

I am almost certain that the PMC paper can only be fired in a kiln

FVT
29-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Depending on how small and detailed you want the writing to be, my suggestion would be to try making a mould from photopolymer plate? You could either print out your text, or handwrite it on paper, then you need to photocopy this onto acetate, unless you have a laserprinter. I know I've come into this quite late, so would be interested to know what solution you may have found in the mean time :-)

surfergirl
30-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks to everyone who contributed. I've now finished the pendant and given to my mum for her 60th birthday :) She was very pleased :) I ended up carving the Sanskrit text in wax, then polymer clay stamp, then art clay silver. Not bad for a first :) I have just posted an album - Mum's Pendant. Comments welcomed :)

MuranoSilver: I ended up using a flowerpot and 100% natural clay cat litter (cheap skate as I am) and although the flowerpot idea was soon scrapped (taking too much heat away) the cat litter worked a treat - didn't blow around as I used it to support the dome underneath.

abyjem: I am sure i've come across projects which say pmc paper can be torch fired, I can't think where - when I find them, I'll post. Not having tried it myself, I can't comment! Have you used this material? Not having a kiln, I'd be interested in anyone's experiments.

FVT: I would love to have the budget to get the necessary kit!

Cheers!

vsilvered
30-04-2010, 12:03 PM
I've read somewhere too that you can torch fire PMC paper, as long as it's not folded, i.e. origami style.

FiredSilver
30-04-2010, 04:02 PM
The problem with torch firing PMC Paper is that it's so thin it's really quick to melt! So, if its attached to a clay backing it should be ok, if the whole piece is made out of paper best stick with the kiln!

HTH

Becci
xx