PDA

View Full Version : Teaching?

Charlotte
30-07-2009, 05:19 AM
Ok, this is something I've been thinking about for a while. When me and my partner buy our own place and I own my own proper studio (hopefully at the end of this year) I was thinking a good rout to earning a bit of extra cash is teaching from home (one on one or in small groups) or at an evening class at a local collage. Does anyone else do this or know how to go about it?

I went to a half day class a couple of years ago to an enamel workshop, there was about 10 of us and it was £25 each! It was so much fun to meet like minded people, have a good old chat and do something interesting.

I know I'd need a bit more equipment, and get some damn good insurance but thats about all I know:">

caroleallen
30-07-2009, 08:15 AM
I teach from my studio. I found the hardest part was synchronising students and now mostly teach in ones or twos. It works out OK though as it means I can get on with my own work as well.

Charlotte
30-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Do you need anything to start? Sorry if I sound stupid, but we live in a world of bureaucracy so there must be something complicated I need to do first;)

How much do you charge if you don't mind me asking?:">

Atelier Ava
30-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I teach from home generally keeping it to small metalwork and enamelling. I got insurance before I started and made sure that I had good safety issues in place ie fire extinguisher, good ventilation, first aid kit and enough space to move around easily. I feel it is important to write a sheet on health and safety for people to read so that they are in part responsible for their own actions, nothing too boring though, just a quick read. As long as you take as much care as is possible most people are here to learn. Have a list of what you are going to teach for the day which you can follow and one for them to take home. When I first started I charged £100 because I was learning too but now it is £150 per day which includes everything, lunch and materials but excluding silver which is charged at cost. This is for 1-2 people. I do find it is a real exchange of learning as not all are beginners and very enjoyable.
Hope this helps
Paula

Charlotte
30-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Perfect, thanks for the help!

I would love to see a photo of your workshop (and your work as well!). That sounds like a nice amount of money, do you live in London?

Atelier Ava
30-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Cant post a link to my website yet. :( I am in Hastings.
Paula

Charlotte
30-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Just Googled your name:cool: beautiful website! Really lovely stuff!

Atelier Ava
30-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks
Paula

Charlotte
30-07-2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.atelierava.co.uk/ Visit Paula's site!

Ominicci
30-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Charlotte I am going to teach Beginner Jewellery Making (beads, wire, crimping, bag charms etc not silversmithing) at evening classes at the local school in Sept. As it is partially funded by the Gloucestershire Local Education Authority they ask that all new tutors go on a City & Guilds 'Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector' (i.e. Teaching in Adult Education) course. It was paid for by the LEA and the school and was half a day each week for 6 weeks. I have just finished it and it wasn't too bad. We covered H&S, legislation (Equality & Diversity, Disability etc), how to include Functional Skills (English, Maths & IT) in course material as well as learning styles, lesson plans, assessement, evaluation, and reward and recognition. I found that a lot of it was common sense, but there were also lightbulb moments and useful literature and templates to use to help you prepare lessons.

If you teach in a community hall or from your own place and it is your own arrangement then you don't need all that, but I did find it useful. My (10 - 12)students will be paying £40 for 2 hours each week, over 8 weeks. My pay from the LEA will be about £18 per hour. I am going to provide all my own tools (pliers etc) and materials (beads and plated wire etc) and the students pay £6 each directly to me for materials.

If I was doing 1 to 1 silver smithing then I think I would charge over £100 per day - that's still only around £16 per hour for 6 hours. So you could work out what you want to earn and start form there? Don't forget that the materials will be more expensive tha those I will be using in my classes so you need to factor that in too. if you are going to do silver at cost make sure you give them an idea of the cost e.g. of a pendant, bracelet etc so they don't make something huge and think its going to cost £5!

bustagasket
30-07-2009, 12:23 PM
*Broad grin speads across Su's face, local to me woot!!*

Atelier Ava
30-07-2009, 12:50 PM
That sounds like a really good course, pretty thorough. I might see if there is one in my area.
Paula

EmmaRose
30-07-2009, 12:50 PM
thinking I ought to do some teaching myself really, in metal clay.
I don't think I do enough "pure" jewellery making (since I work mostly in textiles).
Em

julie
30-07-2009, 01:34 PM
paula just looked at your website beautiful jewellery & a lovely website!

Trudy
30-07-2009, 02:24 PM
I posted a thread kind of similar to this in the jewellery classes section but no one has replied to me :'( Very, very useful info though so thank you!! :)

Ominicci - the course that you have been on and the ones you are running sound very good...are the students paying £40 for the whole 8 week course? That seems amazing value. I was thinking of charging £30 for each evening course of 2 hours, including all materials but now Im thinking that may be too much...

Ominicci
31-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Yes that is what they are paying for the whole course, but it is partially funded by the LEA, and its held in a school which I don't have to hire etc. The LEA's job is to get people into education (govt targets to improve basic skills and educational levels etc that's why we have to include some English, Maths and IT elements in all courses when working for the LEA) so the prices are reasonable. And those on benefits can sometimes get it free even for courses like this.