PDA

View Full Version : Problem melting and pouring ingots

stu_clouds
07-03-2010, 06:34 PM
hi,

i have previously tried to melt silver in a scorifier with one of the cooksons hand torches to no avail. i have then used a nimrod t75 this also does not manage to melt the silver. I have resorted to using my melting furnace to do this but this is not the most accurate method.

I am looking to buy an oxy gas set up but cannot find a full set up, all the parts are seperate on cooksons site and dont know what pieces i need, does anyone know where a full kit is available? also is the fuel easily available?

Regards and thanks for all your help with previous threads

Stu

ps_bond
07-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Stu -

I use a Sievert propane torch for my melting. Sometimes I'll surround the scorifier with a couple of soft firebricks to reflect the heat back, but that's usually only for larger quantities of metal. So long as I can get a superheat onto the metal - and hold the flame on the scorfier as I'm pouring - this does me well enough.

Heat the ingot mould too - coat the inside with oil, then heat it until the oil smokes, This will help prevent the metal cooling too rapidly as it goes into the mould.

stu_clouds
07-03-2010, 07:28 PM
thanks, i had a feeling i was going to need to upgrade to a sievert torch, im glad to hear it does the job.

Thanks

Stu

stu_clouds
07-03-2010, 07:36 PM
one other question, what head do you use on the sievert torch for melting? any preference?

ps_bond
08-03-2010, 08:54 AM
I'll need to check, but I think it is 2941 - the standard 28mm burner. I could try a 35, but this seems OK (so long as there's no draft).

stu_clouds
08-03-2010, 08:57 AM
great thanks for your help. All in the shopping basket ready for me to decide what other pieces i need.

Stu

ps_bond
08-03-2010, 09:02 AM
An anti-rupture attachment was an early addition on mine - the idea is that if a hose bursts, it will automatically cut the gas flow. That said, I've triggered it by cranking the pressure up to 4 bar too fast too...

Mine came from BES (http://www.bes.co.uk/products/063.asp) - awful site to navigate, but pretty comprehensive on fittings.

joliemartin
08-04-2010, 11:28 AM
hi,

i have previously tried to melt silver in a scorifier with one of the cooksons hand torches to no avail. i have then used a nimrod t75 this also does not manage to melt the silver. I have resorted to using my melting furnace to do this but this is not the most accurate method.

I am looking to buy an oxy gas set up but cannot find a full set up, all the parts are seperate on cooksons site and dont know what pieces i need, does anyone know where a full kit is available? also is the fuel easily available?

Regards and thanks for all your help with previous threads

Stu

Many natural forms of gold contain impurities, so a flux is required to collect them and remove them from the gold there are many formulas for flux mixtures, but for simple melting of clean gold fines, a mixture of borax and sodium carbonate works fine.

joliemartin
09-04-2010, 09:34 AM
Hi Guys can any body tell me that what topic is going on?