PDA

View Full Version : Bezel Question

stu_clouds
06-03-2010, 10:14 PM
hi everyone,

this is a bit of a beginners questions, previously i have always used the silver bezel wire cooksons sell & for the smaller stones i find it is to high so i am going to make some of my own. Is there anyone with some advice on the best way to do this? im setting alot of 10mm round cabs and 10*8mm oval cabs i was thinking 2mm high? i would most likely make this out of sterling would i be better using fine silver if so should i buy thin wire and roll it out?

sorry seems a little basic but its something iv not got round too doing yet. iv been casting for a year yet iv not even done some simple stuff talk about doing things in an odd order.

thanks

Stuart

mizgeorge
06-03-2010, 10:26 PM
I just buy sheet in the thickness I prefer, cut to the size I want. Fine is traditionally used because it's softer, and less prone to firescale, but sterling works just as well.

stu_clouds
07-03-2010, 09:21 AM
thanks for that, one last question what do you find is the best tool for cutting? ie hand saw, cutting burr on pendant drill?

Thanks again

Stu

mizgeorge
07-03-2010, 10:50 AM
If I buy my strip in narrow widths, I just cut it with shears or snips. If it's in a larger sheet, I pierce with a saw and clean up with a file afterwards.