PDA

View Full Version : soldering/bending query

disorganised
02-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi everyone

I am planning on making an open bangle from 4 stacked sheets of silver 25mm x 165mm x 0.3mm . The stack of thin strips will be soldered together to give a total thickness of 1.2mm. The reason for stacking the thin strips together is that I'm going to cut a pattern of progressively larger circles and ellipses into each layer, and when they're all stuck together the hope is that it will give a pleasing 3D pattern effect. At least, that's the aim.

So, my question is: should I solder the 4 layers together and then bend the bangle into shape, or form each layer individually and then solder together? I'm hoping to be able to do the former, but I'm not sure whether a stack of soldered sheets would bend 'as one' or if I'd risk the layers splitting during the bending, since presumably the outside layer will have further to travel than the inside, and if my soldering wasn't good enough I could have disastrous results.

Any advice? Thanks

Gemma
02-03-2010, 02:37 PM
I would say solder before forming because it'll be really hard to get the sheets fitting together flushly if they're bent.

I'm by no means an expert though- hopefully someone else can give you better advice rather than just guessing!

mizgeorge
02-03-2010, 02:51 PM
I think given the risk of the circles deforming and shifting from centred on eachother during the bending process, I'd probably rivet this rather than soldering it!

Sheltie
02-03-2010, 06:31 PM
With George on this one. I can see what you are trying to achieve but think you would be better off riveting

caroleallen
02-03-2010, 07:25 PM
yes, I have to agree with George too. It would be a nightmare trying to bend that lot.

disorganised
02-03-2010, 09:15 PM
ok doke. I shall go down the riveting route then. Thank you!

If anyone has successfully bent a soldered stack of silver sheets together I'd still be interested to hear how it turned out.