PDA

View Full Version : How to make PMC slip?

jools02
01-03-2010, 05:40 PM
I've been using PMC for a while now and want to try something new. I have collected PMC 'dustings' in a little pot and have quite a bit now. So I would like to make a leaf pendant by painting the slip onto a leaf. However, having never seen or used slip before I have no idea what it should look like or how to make it up. Do you just add water and mix? And what consistency should it be? Also, can I make up a whole pot of slip and then store it or will it dry out?

Rustic Charm
01-03-2010, 06:12 PM
good question i'd like to know too, i'm sure Nic or someone will be along soon and ansa xxx

lorraineflee
01-03-2010, 06:16 PM
I add water, usually distilled, and yes, it may dry out but you can add some more and it'll be okay again. As far as what thickness - it's a bit like "how long is a piece of string?" as thick as you think you need!
Lorraine

lynnm
01-03-2010, 06:23 PM
I mix mine with purified water to a workable consistency

MuranoSilver
01-03-2010, 07:52 PM
You start off with quite a thin slip (watery cream consistency) then build up a few layers.
Once the layers are about 1/2mm thick then you can add more at a thicker cream consistency.
Needs to be a few mm thick before firing (paste isn't as strong as lump clay)
Here's some more detailed instructions
PMC Tips: Making A PMC / Silver Clay Leaf (http://pmctips.blogspot.com/2009/03/making-pmc-silver-clay-leaf.html)
nic xx

jools02
02-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks everybody. Great tutorial Nic, thanks! Do I have to leave the very first thin layers to dry overnight? Because I'm assuming they would be dry within just a few minutes?

MuranoSilver
02-03-2010, 09:21 AM
No it takes a while for them to dry properly - the top layer dries but underneath is still damp.
You can do some layers in the morning and the rest at night, the best results are when you take your time ;)
If you put the next layers on too fast they kind of drag the others off (then you have to start again)
The leaf perspiring underneath adds to this, lol
nic x