PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning jump rings

vsilvered
28-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Hi,

What is the best (and easiest to clean off) lubricant to use when cutting jump rings (using Koil Kutter and jeweller's saw)?

Also, a tumbler question:

What's the best way to clean the stainless steel shot and tumbler barrel after tumbling?

Regards,

Vi

mizgeorge
28-02-2010, 06:09 PM
1) tumbler and barrelbrite / barrelling compound
2) if you use barrelbrite / barrelling compound you don't need to do any more than rinse and replace the water.

(both of these assume you're using bur life or wax type lubricant)

vsilvered
28-02-2010, 06:42 PM
1) tumbler and barrelbrite / barrelling compound
2) if you use barrelbrite / barrelling compound you don't need to do any more than rinse and replace the water.

(both of these assume you're using bur life or wax type lubricant)

Hi George,

Many thanks for the info.

I tried cutting using olive oil on the coil, and then I tried beeswax.

I got my tumbler from PMC Studio, Amersham, Bucks and it came with 500g of 'Tumbler Soap', but even after 2 hours tumbling the rings are still feel/look greasy.

Regards,

Vi

mizgeorge
28-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Hmm. I use bur life, half a teaspoon of barrelbrite or barrelling compound, and I have absolutely spotless rings in 15 minutes. Are you using a LOT of beeswax?

Not sure what else to suggest other than trying a different barrelling medium. There's still jut time to get some barrelbrite on freepost!

vsilvered
28-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the info.

I've ordered some BarrelBrite and will give that a go.

I also ordered some more Koil Kutter blades from Dave Arens and asked him what he used, and he said that he always uses washing-up liquid as a lubricant!

Regards,

Vi

mizgeorge
28-02-2010, 09:11 PM
A lot of the guys in the US use washing up liquid - but it needs to be absolutely additive free (no fragrance, no bleach substitutes, no antibac). It's easier to just use the right thing imo!

Fi Wilson
01-03-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm about to contact Dave to order one of his koil kutters so this is a really useful thread to me. If you have to use a lubricant would an ultrasonic cleaner be ok to use to get some of the gunk off? I bought one over a year ago and have never really used it.

Fi

vsilvered
01-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Dave's customer service is incredible. I ordered some blades yesterday (Sunday) at 7.25pm and he replied to my email at 8.02pm with the customs form number and US post tracking info!

One thing I have learned is to clean/de-grease my jump rings/jewellery BEFORE putting them in the tumbler. I've spent nearly a whole day cleaning up my stainless steel shot and barrel after it got contaminated with black crud (mixture of metal bits and wax/oil). This 'contamination' can occur with ultrasonic cleaners as well, I'm told.

I've now (hopefully) got a 'clean' barrel and shot and in future will be using BarrelBrite Plus in the barrel and Bur Life on my coils/jeweller's saw.

Whilst trying to get myself out of this mess, I did find a good article called 'Tumbler Barrel Contamination & Tumbler Tarnish' here (https://www.cooltools.us/articles.asp?id=163).

Regards,

Vi

mizgeorge
01-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Vi, I don't know where you are, but I recall some people having problems like this because of their tap water. I live in an exceptionally hard water area, and have never, ever, had any thing like this happen. This evening, I've cut several thousand rings, thrown them straight in the tumbler (liberally coated in bur life), tumbled for less than an hour and they are immaculate. No grease, no crud, nothing.

You are using stainless steel shot aren't you?

vsilvered
01-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Vi, I don't know where you are, but I recall some people having problems like this because of their tap water. I live in an exceptionally hard water area, and have never, ever, had any thing like this happen. This evening, I've cut several thousand rings, thrown them straight in the tumbler (liberally coated in bur life), tumbled for less than an hour and they are immaculate. No grease, no crud, nothing.

You are using stainless steel shot aren't you?

Hi George,

I live in a hard water area as well, but I think this has been my fault due to ignorance, I'm afraid.

I used the Koil Kutter with olive oil on the coil as a lubricant, as this was one of the choices suggested in Dave's instruction leaflet. However, I think I may have overdid it and put too much on, worrying that I'd ruin the blade, if I didn't put enough on. Then I threw them in the tumbler still covered in oil.. and the tumbler soap couldn't handle it!

I kept using oil/beeswax on subsequent coils and the crud just got worse because I hadn't degreased the barrel and shot in between cutting sessions.

Thankfully, I have learnt my lesson. I shall now only use Bur Life which is much easier to clean up compared to beeswax or olive oil, and as a further precaution, I shall wash my rings before throwing them in the barrel.

Vi

Lindyloo
02-03-2010, 02:10 PM
George, do you clean out your barrel and replace the barrelbrite frequently? Do you leave it sitting in the barrel between uses?

mizgeorge
02-03-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm far too extravagant to reuse my water unless I've just tumbled a finished piece that's easy to fish out. I just dump the lot into a sieve, rinse under warm running water, use a magnet to pull the shot out and put it back in the barrel under clean water. I don't add the barrelbrite until I put the next batch of stuff in to be tumbled though - it seems to go clumpy if you do.

I've never cleaned the barrel itself, and I tumble everything, including glass, heavily oxidised stuff, gemstones and all sorts of metals.

Gemma
02-03-2010, 02:56 PM
... use a magnet to pull the shot out ...

That's such an obvious thing to do!! Why have I spent hours trying to sort the silver from the steel? :'(
Thanks George :)

Fi Wilson
02-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Grr, me too! On the hunt for a big magnet now.

WitchfordSilver
02-03-2010, 08:18 PM
I keep the shot in the barrel with barrelbrite all the time, barrelbrite should stop the shot rusting for far longer than just water. unless you can remove all the air in the water.

Lindyloo
02-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks guys. I have tried leaving the barrelbrite and shot in the tumbler, but it went all slimy and disgusting. And so it made me want to wash it out anyway. I have stainless steel shot, so I presume I don't have to worry about rusting at all. I presume that's why you don't worry about leaving yours in water only, George.

Designed by Frances
23-11-2010, 05:24 PM
I fully agree with Dave, I too use what every dish washing liquid is handy, nothing special and have done for many years. Although I do sometimes use Barrel Bright Plus occasionally.

Thanks for the info.

I've ordered some BarrelBrite and will give that a go.

I also ordered some more Koil Kutter blades from Dave Arens and asked him what he used, and he said that he always uses washing-up liquid as a lubricant!

Regards,

Vi

jamesjewel
14-01-2011, 08:31 PM
We use barrel bright and add a few drops of ammonia. We have as many shapes of stainless shot as we could find in a trommel V1 barreler - rods, tapered pins, round shot, and "flying saucers" which give the best chance of getting in all the nooks and crannies. Always keep the fluid topped up to cover the shot with more water. Add an occasional drop or two of ammonia Just enough to detect the odour. Only when it gets really filthy is the mixture replaced with the shot being well rinsed. Amazing results!
Use washing up liquid and a drop of ammonia in the ultrasonic.

meriah
20-04-2011, 07:02 AM
A lot of the guys in the US use washing up liquid - but it needs to be absolutely additive free (no fragrance, no bleach substitutes, no antibac). It's easier to just use the right thing imo!

I've heard that too, but I think it's so difficult, nearly impossible to find absolutely additive free washing up liquid. They all contain something!