PDA

View Full Version : Four Quick Jewellery Tips

Dennis
28-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Those black emery boards sold in High Street chemists, such as Superdrug, can be used on small areas of jewellery. They can be customised to fit with scissors or a craft knife and bits cut off when worn out. They will last for ages.

Waterproof pens do not interfere with soldering, so they can be used to mark crosses or circles for locating parts to be added. They can also be used for colour coding solder strips.

To check that small objects are square, forget engineer's squares and go for graph paper. You will be much more accurate.

To divide a ring into four, fit it into the best match on a circle template from a stationery shop and use the four marks on the template. To find the centre of a disk, join the marks to make a cross.

Di Sandland
28-02-2010, 04:56 PM
To divide a ring into four, fit it into the best match on a circle template from a stationery shop and use the four marks on the template. To find the centre of a disk, join the marks to make a cross.

I worked this out for myself - but it took me ages! You should have posted this six months ago, Dennis!

Thank you - little tips like this can make things a whole lot easier

Gemma
28-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Handy tips, thanks :)

Jayne
28-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Great tips, thanks Dennis.
Also, coffee stirrers from Starbucks wrapped in emery paper are great for those hard to reach areas :)
J x

bustagasket
28-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Great tips, thanks Dennis.
Also, coffee stirrers from Starbucks wrapped in emery paper are great for those hard to reach areas :)
J x

only starbucks ones? dont have a starbucks in Westfield lol

Jayne
01-03-2010, 08:25 AM
only starbucks ones? dont have a starbucks in Westfield lol

Well, the Nero ones are plastic & flimsy (as are most cwaffee shop stirrers), but Starbucks ones are teeny, wooden & fairly strong. I'll try & swipe a handful for you next time I'm there Sis' :D
J x

Petal
01-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks for those tips Dennis - really useful :Y:

jille
01-03-2010, 04:53 PM
thank you for the tips, as a beginner I need all the help I can get. I got the NG tumbler and used it today for the first time, it's brill
Jille

bustagasket
01-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Well, the Nero ones are plastic & flimsy (as are most cwaffee shop stirrers), but Starbucks ones are teeny, wooden & fairly strong. I'll try & swipe a handful for you next time I'm there Sis' :D
J x

aww ty huni :):dance:

Tigerlily
02-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks Dennis, great tips! Really helpful for a beginner!

Jayne, fab idea!! I have loads of starbucks stirrers around the house (OH has serious coffee addiction!) Will try that one out thanks!

Mich x

Fi Wilson
02-03-2010, 11:51 AM
I use those stirrer for all sorts, marker sticks, emery sticks, stirrers (surprisingly!). I don't drink coffee so I'm always asking friends to nab a few extra when they go in. :-D

Fi

ps_bond
11-03-2010, 12:14 PM
I really like the suggestion of checking for square using graph paper - I usually use a square, but this sounds nicely intuitive.

Dennis
11-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Thank you Peter.

jewellerybymia
23-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks Dennis, great and very useful tips.
Mia x

elliboo
23-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Great tips and an excuse to go to Starbucks - fantastic.

Lou
23-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the tips, I'm going to Starbucks today actually, might have to nab a few sticks! :)