PDA

View Full Version : Is a wire wrapping course worth it

Petal
29-07-2009, 06:36 PM
My apologies if this is a silly question, but I've been practicing wrapping wire around some beads from a book for a while now, and have made some things that definitely have room for improvement! :(|

Is this something that comes with a lot more practice, or is it worth going on a short course :confused:

Apologies for the confusion I've caused with my original question (oops)

Thanks
Jules

agent_44
29-07-2009, 08:28 PM
I'd saya course woudl benefit you , but make sure it's what you actually want to learn. Wire Wrapping is so diverse that you might end up doing stuff totally different to what you wanted! Though, there are about a gazillion books on the subject, of which I have many, lol. What kind of things are you trying to do?

Petal
29-07-2009, 10:48 PM
What I was practicing was wire wrapping a bead that has a hole from front to back - the ones I made looked cr!p. :-D

The sorts of things I'd like to do once I've learnt the technique properly, are to make necklaces/bracelets/earrings of wire & bead, which I can hammer into lovely shapes etc. (I just want to have a go at bashing something with a hammer - now that sounds like fun :D ) I'd also love to make my own coils and to wrap beads, that would be luverly :cool:

Jules x

agent_44
29-07-2009, 11:06 PM
In that case I would highly reccommend All Wired Up by Mark Lareau. His instructions are fab and teach you the basics in great detail, with an empasis on total perfection. Shows you lots of bead wraps and clasps and plenty of other things.

Charlotte
30-07-2009, 04:39 AM
This isn't a very helpful contribution I'm afraid, I was just wondering if wire wrapping is a particular technique within wire work, or if wire wrapping is the general term for all wire work?

I started out in wire sculpture, I used to be able to recreate anything into wire, looking back at some of my stuff I feel awful that I've lost that skill completely, I wouldn't know where to start now:confused:!

Petal
30-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Sorry guys, that's the title I should have written #-o :">

This is where I'd copied the term wire wrappinghttp://www.exemplar-glass.co.uk/index.php?cPath=27 and thought I might give it a go... along with the fusing (jewellery making) which they do....

ho hum, whatever this wire work stuff is called, I love the jewellery that I've seen on this forum and have to know how to do it, 'cos its luverly

Jules X

Charlotte
30-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Ooooh it sounds fun!! I bet it'll be worth it, fun and informative!:Y:

agent_44
30-07-2009, 10:17 AM
This isn't a very helpful contribution I'm afraid, I was just wondering if wire wrapping is a particular technique within wire work, or if wire wrapping is the general term for all wire work?

I started out in wire sculpture, I used to be able to recreate anything into wire, looking back at some of my stuff I feel awful that I've lost that skill completely, I wouldn't know where to start now:confused:!

I guess you could say that - I take wire work to be anything involving wire and wrapping as a little more specific. I think it is quite an American term and came from the way stones are set with the wire, nasically decoratively wrapping them around the piece.

Ominicci
30-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Some of the American stuff is very precise and ornate.
Not sure it is my cup of tea, but it is very clever.

There are free videos on the American Wiresculpture.com website HERE (http://wire-sculpture.com/pages/Video_On_Demand.html)

mizgeorge
30-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Got to say, I wouldn't call what's shown on the site wire wrapping per se, it's wirework. And from the piece shown, not entirely original.

I'd save yourself about £55 and get a copy of Bead on a Wire by Sharilyn Miller

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bead-Wire-Making-Handcrafted-Jewelry/dp/1581806507/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248973912&sr=8-1

which is about the best starting point I can think of for the aspiring wire and bead jeweller.

Ominicci
31-07-2009, 10:49 AM
That's an interesting comment about wirework v wire wrapping George, puts it a bit more into perspective, thanks.

I've just bought a couple of books from Crystal Phoenix (http://www.thecrystalphoenix.com/books--magazines-34-c.asp) on wire jewellery to get some ideas for my classes. The Jewelry with Wire is reasonably interesting with links made from wire that I haven't seen before. Only 18 pages (i.e. thinner than a magazine) but worth it I think.

Petal
01-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Got to say, I wouldn't call what's shown on the site wire wrapping per se, it's wirework. And from the piece shown, not entirely original.

I'd save yourself about £55 and get a copy of Bead on a Wire by Sharilyn Miller

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bead-Wire-Making-Handcrafted-Jewelry/dp/1581806507/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248973912&sr=8-1

which is about the best starting point I can think of for the aspiring wire and bead jeweller.

Thanks for everyones comments and to George for clarifying things. =D>
I've got the book and its a case of practice, practice, practice until I can produce something I'd buy myself.

[]
Jules