PDA

View Full Version : Quick & simple small forges

ps_bond
26-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Just a brief one - 2 different methods for making a small forge with fairly readily available materials:

1st one is known as the "1 brick forge". Using a soft refractory firebrick, bore about a 1" hole the length of the brick (without breaking it!). They're messy as anything to carve up like this, so be aware of the dust - I've used 22mm copper pipe to drill the hole through before now. Then bore a hole in the face of the brick to meet the long hole; your gas torch goes in the side - you can hand-gold it, but it's far more convenient to clamp it - and the stock you want to heat goes in the long hole.

The second forge is a tin can: Find at least a 2lb can (a bit bigger is easier still), take both ends off and bore a 1" hole in the side about halfway along. Line the can with 1" Kaowool (or other high temp ceramic fibre blanket), poke out the bit of blanket covering the hole you drilled - and ideally treat it with rigidiser to stop the fibres going everywhere and give it a bit more mechanical stability. Torch goes in the side again and stock goes end-to-end.

The torch you need for these should be moderately gutsy - more plumbers torch than brulee torch; oxy acetylene works too. Don't stick the torch so far in that the nozzle protrudes into the forge cavity as it'll melt... Pull it back slightly so the refractory cops the heat, not the torch. Also, be aware there is some back pressure with these; turning the gas up can work against you, preventing the flame from burning.

Whilst small, both these forges can do real work - they're not toys, but obviously they can only handle longish straight objects. I probably wouldn't go much over 3/8" stock for them either.

Usual caveats & cautions about working with hot metals apply..! And always have a bucket of water handy.

Fi Wilson
26-02-2010, 12:01 PM
These nuggets of info are fab. You're like the Ray Mears of the jewellery making world! :dance:

ps_bond
26-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Ray Mears? Nah, he's much richer :)

I've got a recipe for an improvised refractory too, but it's nowhere near as effective as the proper stuff - which has become much easier to source (EBay, for example) over the last few years.

Would anyone like some comments & methods on heat treating small tools? These micro forges are ideal for that application.