PDA

View Full Version : Stone tension setting help

scooch
25-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Hello there,
I want to give tension setting a go and I've found a nice project to follow that at least *looks* do-able. However, it says to use a Hart bur 3.5mm (45 degree), and I've searched for this on the Cookson site but can't find anything that matches. I've googled it and got some US matches but I've not found anything to order from the UK. The gemstone will just be a test-friendly CZ 3.5 faceted round stone. Can anyone suggest a cookson bur that would do the job? ...and any other tension setting hints and tips would be great! :)
Many thanks.
scooch.

Dennis
25-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Cookson's Bearing Cutter Bush No 414 will do the trick if you choose the appropriate size for your stone. But remember it really does mean tension.The metal must be hard and thick enough not to distort in use, or the stone will drop out. People I know who do tension set rings use stainless steel with diamonds. Sorry to be such a pessimist. Dennis.

bob flemming
06-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Just to say, though, that I finished making one last night - a round aquamarine set in silver wire. The most important thing is obviously getting the tension right. That little stone isn't going anywhere, it worked really well. Good luck!

geti-titanium
06-03-2010, 04:59 PM
I've just completed a 0.52 ct tension setting commission - it worked out rather well but was a devil to spring open being 3mm wall thickness in Titanium

lynnm
06-03-2010, 05:05 PM
I've just completed a 0.52 ct tension setting commission - it worked out rather well but was a devil to spring open being 3mm wall thickness in Titanium

Oh that ring..... would look good on my finger I reckon!

geti-titanium
06-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Oh that ring..... would look good on my finger I reckon!

Is that a proposal lynn? :-"

lynnm
06-03-2010, 05:10 PM
for that ring? why not! :flowers::rofl:

geti-titanium
06-03-2010, 05:15 PM
for that ring? why not! :flowers::rofl:

Damn! too late! The customer picked it up yesterday otherwise we could be honeymooning in Hawaii by now #-o

lynnm
06-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Damn! too late! The customer picked it up yesterday otherwise we could be honeymooning in Hawaii by now #-o

well I didn't ask hubby if he minded either... plus I don't have a passport.... oh well I shall have to up my anti and learn to make my own I guess! :Y:

bob flemming
06-03-2010, 09:39 PM
*Quietly hides her plain silver band and 5mm aquamarine ring in the corner.*

Good grief that ring is GORGEOUS!