PDA

View Full Version : Help cut too close around my bezel...

KayChamberlain
23-02-2010, 09:55 PM
just starting out....very new to jewellery making

got a little carried away with the cutting out around my bezel that I had so carefully & proudly soldered (first bit of of soldering!!) to 1mm sheet silver#-o

I have a cut mark down the side of the bezel and a small hole where I've managed to cut into the bezel strip...how best can I fix this?

or shall I start again:confused

any advice much appreciated..

cheers Kay

caroleallen
23-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Hello Kay.

I'd start again. I think trying to repair it would be more trouble than it's worth. Put it down to experience.

mizgeorge
23-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Agree with Carol. You'll never be happy with it, and it will take way longer to try to bodge together than to just start again.

MuranoSilver
23-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Sorry to have to say this (because of the extra work) but :yeah:
quicker in the long run to start again.
nic xx

daisychain
24-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Yes, I agree too! It would take much longer to make repairs than to make a new one.
You're not the first one to do it, and you certainly won't be the last!

amazingbabe
25-02-2010, 06:50 AM
Yes i agree with the girls, it will be less frustrating to start again, but don't despair you can use recycle that silver bezel, maybe melt it done and make embellishments for rings etc, i done the very same thing as you when i made my first ring ;)

KayChamberlain
04-03-2010, 06:29 PM
thanks guys, you've all confirmed what I knew myself really, just didn't want to believe it...
c'est la vie!

will try again and not get too carried away this time!

cheers
K

Gemma
04-03-2010, 08:07 PM
I can't count how many times I've tried to fix something and really hated the results! I now have a huge amount of scrap ;)

:welcome: by the way

Green Beetle
05-03-2010, 12:08 PM
On the other hand, you can always get "creative" with the scrap. I practised rivetting on some bits of scrap recently; polished them up, hung on a couple of ear wires and, completely unexpectedly, a friend fell in love with the results and now owns them.

SilverKiss
05-03-2010, 11:01 PM
you can use recycle that silver bezel, maybe melt it done and make embellishments for rings etc

but always be careful about re-using silver that you have soldered. Obviously any solder will contaminate the melt and may bring it down below assay quality. hallmarked or not, you would be on sticky ground calling it sterling. (unless you test it yourself and are sure). even embellishments should be assay quality

If there's any doubt, my disasters (don't worry-we ALL have them) go into my scrap pot