PDA

View Full Version : Marketplace

ps_bond
29-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Does anyone else think it might be worthwhile having a section of the forum for buying/selling odds & sods? Offcuts of materials, unwanted tools, stones, that kind of thing?

Solunar Silver Studio
29-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Sounds great - I don't know how the payment side of things would work though....definitely not my forte!<:)-
Barbara

julie
29-07-2009, 10:19 AM
now thats a good *-:)

bustagasket
29-07-2009, 10:22 AM
I sometimes visit another forum for craft work, and they have a market section, and on the couple of occasions that i have bought stamps and things from other members, I have sent the money via paypal.

Solunar Silver Studio
29-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Just private transactions then.....? Wouldn't there be a lot of legal stuff that Cooksons would run a mile from.......being as they are hosting the forum?
Barbara

ps_bond
29-07-2009, 10:32 AM
From past experience, there was no liability accepted by the forum management (in big bold letters at the top of the forum). It was for private sales, conducted between individuals - so caveat emptor held sway. Paypal was (and is) the most commonly accepted mechanism there.

Equally, there was no money taken for the service - as that would imply a contract and therefore could be used to demonstrate implicit liability...

One of the requirements was a certain postcount before a member could post; it helped keep the number of problem epsiodes to a minimum.

Solunar Silver Studio
29-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Oh NO...you're good at Latin and Legalese too!!!! Sigh!:-D
Barbara

julie
29-07-2009, 10:47 AM
cookson will reply to this thread any legal problems setting up a market place they will know ??? it is a very good idea peter :Y:

ps_bond
29-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Oh NO...you're good at Latin and Legalese too!!!! Sigh!:-D

Hah! Couldn't translate a Latin passage these days if you paid me (hmm, well I suppose if I were paid I might!). As for the legalese... I am not a lawyer. As my girlfriend (who is) reminds me occasionally :D

apike
29-07-2009, 10:58 AM
*-:)Hi all,
This is turning into an extremely interesting thread... Funny you guys should say this as we are indeed looking into the possibility of launching a Cooksongold 'buying and selling' platform in the future. Unfortunately, I can't really elaborate as they're only thoughts and plans at the moment, but thanks again for letting us know your thoughts, we really are listening! =D>

Adam

ps_bond
29-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Well, if I can assist... I used to be an administrator on the forum I referred to (and yes, it runs vBulletin :) )

EmmaRose
29-07-2009, 04:59 PM
sounds good I'd be up for that :-)

bustagasket
05-08-2009, 11:38 AM
I think it's a great idea, failing that you could always incorporate a trading only board, i.e. no money changing hands.

A bit like Saturday Morning Swap Shop without Noel Edmonds.

I trade you 3 grams of scrap 925 for a 2 carat brilliant cut flawless diamond kind of thing. :Y:

Jason why do coco and i need to trade when we already have our plans to swipe you loot? oops did i say that out loud?#-o

mizgeorge
05-08-2009, 11:40 AM
I'd also be interested, especially for tools

Atelier Ava
05-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Excellent idea =D>
Paula

Di Sandland
05-08-2009, 05:54 PM
I think it's a great idea, failing that you could always incorporate a trading only board, i.e. no money changing hands.

A bit like Saturday Morning Swap Shop without Noel Edmonds.

I trade you 3 grams of scrap 925 for a 2 carat brilliant cut flawless diamond kind of thing. :Y:

PMSL JasonJohn - no Noel Edmunds plus precious metals and stones is a goer as far as I'm concerned.

:)))

ps_bond
07-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Any progress on this?

Di Sandland
07-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Any progress on this?

I've raised it with Admin, Peter.

ps_bond
07-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks Di. Taking stock of what I've got around, there's a few books I no longer need, odds and ends of materials, that kind of thing.

Di Sandland
07-09-2009, 02:52 PM
I've also said you wouldn't mind hosting it (I am now running away to hide)

ps_bond
07-09-2009, 02:56 PM
I'll get me barra out... :D

agent_44
07-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Hehe, this would be great of we can get it going :)

apike
07-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi all,
In regards to the market place idea, this has been noted however isn't going to happen this year for sure. This is something we're looking into for 2010 which will be launched on a much greater scale than whats been spoke about. I guarentee it'll be worth the wait once it is launched and will feature much more than whats been discussed here, but you'll have to sit tight on this one I'm afraid.

The chat facility however will be live soon. It's currently on a our test site so this is pending...

geti-titanium
07-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Would this be a good place to advertise a couple of second hand ferret traps for sale that I've got gathering dust in my shed?:)

agent_44
07-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Would this be a good place to advertise a couple of second hand ferret traps for sale that I've got gathering dust in my shed?:)

Just what I have been looking for! I'll take them...

geti-titanium
07-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Sold! They're a bit rusty but there must be someone on the forum you can ask about cleaning them up a bit - sad to see 'em go, been in the family since I was a nipper. :~:

Di Sandland
07-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Okay - some questions need answering first:

How would you go about making sure that nobody got 'done'
Who would accept responsibility
What about member confidentiality (address and stuff)

I think that, in essence, the idea is a good one but I'm sure Cooksons would need to be satisfied that there were basic safeguards in place. I have never been involved in this type of endeavour and I don't know how doable it is on this type of forum.

I know that Nic's concern is for the 'honesty' of the thing. Are there any legalities involved?

Cookson's haven't responded yet - if you want it to happen I think it needs to be put forward to them as a well-thought out package with robust guidelines

MuranoSilver
07-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi all,
In regards to the market place idea, this has been noted however isn't going to happen this year for sure. This is something we're looking into for 2010 which will be launched on a much greater scale than whats been spoke about. I guarentee it'll be worth the wait once it is launched and will feature much more than whats been discussed here, but you'll have to sit tight on this one I'm afraid.

The chat facility however will be live soon. It's currently on a our test site so this is pending...

Here' you go :)

Di Sandland
07-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Ah, thanks Nic. I'd forgotten that one.

Mila Jewellery
02-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Okay - some questions need answering first:

How would you go about making sure that nobody got 'done'
Who would accept responsibility
What about member confidentiality (address and stuff)

I've been a member of a car forum for a few years now and there is a "For Sale" section there - basically people post what they have for sale with a price and then most people will PM them if interested so any personal details are not put on a public forum, payment is via Paypal as long as it's not sent as a "gift" then you are covered by the paypal guarantee thingy. There have on a couple of rare occasions, been one or two people selling things that the buyer was not happy with, the moderators and admin stepped in to help mediate and if the seller was at deliberately at fault or just did not respond they were banned.