PDA

View Full Version : what thickness wire?????

Rustic Charm
21-02-2010, 05:52 PM
I just want to make some basic bangles, which diameter wire is the lowest you could use as i want to maybe put a few together as a set of varying thicknessess and i'm not sure how thick/thin to make the thinnest? ?

Ominicci
23-02-2010, 11:24 AM
I think you'll just have to experiment, but as long as they are work hardened (e.g. hammered/textured) I would think you may be able to get away with 1.5mm.

If they are not too small a diameter they would not be distorted when putting them on - I have some which are slightly too small for me and end up squashing them slightly to get them on and opening them up again when on (this is probably not good!!)

ZoeMorgan
23-02-2010, 11:53 AM
I made a bangle a few weeks ago, my first attempt, and I used 3mm wire, if I were to do it again I would go smaller. I found myself annealing more times than I thought I'd need just to be able to work it. That said I'm pleased with the end result I just think it could have easily been thinner and just as nice :)

caroleallen
23-02-2010, 01:19 PM
2.5mm looks OK. I used to use 3mm but find that most people are happy with 2.5 and of course it's cheaper. I'm currently using 4mm square wire for bangles but It's a nightmare to bend, so I wouldn't recommend it.

LaVidalerie
24-07-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm making 2mm hammered silver bangles and 1.65mm copper both are very popular both to sell and for students to make in our workshops, we hammer them and tumble so they are very hard. Maybe get some copper wire of different thicknesses and try them out.

Sheltie
25-07-2010, 09:08 AM
I use everything from 1.5 upto 5mm what I will say is that anything over 3mm needs quite a bit of brute force and ignorance. That said I like the way the thicker ones come out