PDA

View Full Version : My engagement/wedding rings

Charlotte
29-07-2009, 08:36 AM
These have been tough... well the diamond has been, the other two are just bands. I'm happy with them but the engagement ring could have turned out much better:">

We both designed our own rings, my fiancée's is 9ct yellow gold and is nice and heavy, he loves it, he keeps trying it on with a smile:-D Mine is 18ct white gold with a 0.15ct diamond, it has a little step in the setting so the two rings sit together flushly (if thats a word?;))

Solunar Silver Studio
29-07-2009, 08:42 AM
my fiancée's is 9ct yellow gold and is nice and heavy, he loves it, he keeps trying it on with a smile:-D
Ahh! Bless him!!
You are very clever - that's all I can say!!
Barbara

julie
29-07-2009, 08:44 AM
wow i think they turned out lovely :D Perfect Adornments for your wedding finger :dance:

AlexandraBuckle
29-07-2009, 08:47 AM
They're great! well done! :)))

Charlotte
29-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks everyone:"> They aren't very exciting really, not much creativity involved. And excuse the quality of the photo, I need some proper photography equipment! I'm trying to think of something exciting to make today, but I've gone blank (I don't draw my designs, they all pop in to my head)... I'm so professional!

Julie - It is nice having a ring to wear everyday that's made to fit, I have loads but I wear them to suit my mood or outfit just for the odd day when I can be bothered to find one;)

Barbara - He is so sweet, he got his wedding hair cut yesterday and took the afternoon off work because I said I didn't feel very well! (any excuse;))

Alexandra - Where are yours?:dance:

Lol... I've used too many smilies apparently, there is too much choice!!! *edits out some smilies*

agent_44
29-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Gorgeous rings Charlotte, must be lovely to make your own!

AlexandraBuckle
29-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Alexandra - Where are yours?:dance:

Errr, well, Ben chose mine (himself) from a shop!
I've never made a conventional ring - wouldn't know where to start...

MuranoSilver
29-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Oooh how wonderful - every time you recieve a compliment on your elegant engagement ring you can say "Yes - I made it!" :D
Even more fabulous is Hubby has an excuse to mention your talents every time he wears his wedding ring too!!

nic xx

Charlotte
29-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Lol, Kevin didn't dare choose mine;) We went shopping together and the only one I liked wasn't made in my size (and they wouldn't make any more!)

I never mean't to end up making them, especially since I'd never worked with gold or diamonds! So Kevin gave me the money and a bit of encouragement (as I was very weary about the whole thing) and as time went on and I learn't a bit about diamonds and found a diamond supplier (cooksongold make the setting I used but don't supply a diamond to fit it!!!) It all became very exciting and a fab way to practise with new materials!

Do you do hot work Alexandra? I defiantly recommend making a simple band, they are quite easy to get the hang of and very rewarding! I've made rings for people while they wait when they have been to my house just to prove how easy they are... I should probably stop doing that if I want to make any money#-o

Charlotte
29-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Nic - I wont see any of my friends and family until the wedding (september), so you guys are the first to see it!

Coco
29-07-2009, 10:07 AM
They're gorgeous. If I'd have made those rings, especially the engagement ring, I'd be dying of pride. :D

When are you getting married?

Ominicci
29-07-2009, 10:18 AM
OMG Charlotte they are fantastic!! Well done :Y:=D>

bustagasket
29-07-2009, 10:26 AM
The talent of the people on this forum continues to astound, shock and delight me. If i can eventually make stuff half as good as you all i will be grinning from ear to ear :D

ps_bond
29-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Fantastic stuff! How did you tackle the setting?

The Bijou Dragon
29-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Awwww they are lovely I'm not surprised your OH is smiling :D

Congratulations :D

Charlotte
29-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks everyone:"> Wow, can't believe how many smilies keep appearing every time I go to post!

Peter - After you informed me that I'd toughened up the metal by barrel washing it, I annealed it again (or what I call annealing anyway:confused:) which softened it nicely for me to use a square edged and a round edged pusher to get the edges over the diamond, which annoyingly softened up the lovely crisp edges that I loved about the collet, but hey;) I still need to get the attachments for my drill to get a good polish on it. Thanks for all the help!:Y:

Di Sandland
29-07-2009, 01:20 PM
OMG - how did I miss this thread :confused:

Charlotte, the rings are absolutely gorgeous!

ps_bond
29-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Ah, if you want the crisp edges back you'll probably want to learn how to bright cut the edges... ;)

Charlotte
29-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Lol, that sounds very mysterious Peter! Is it difficult?=:-O < LOL

Thank you Moon Cottage!:X

ps_bond
29-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Nah, all you do is take a very sharp flat graver with an extremely well polished heel and carefully pare away the uneven material. Well, that's one way anyway.

There are a few pre-requisites I've missed out here... :)

EmmaRose
29-07-2009, 05:19 PM
beautiful Charlotte :-)

caroleallen
29-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Lovely work. I much prefer understated settings than anything fancy. You must be very proud.

Caroline Foulkes
29-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Wow, they're beautiful. If we ever get hitched, I'd love to be able to do something like that. Well done!

Charlotte
30-07-2009, 05:06 AM
Thanks everyone[] The ring is actually growing on me a lot since I started wearing it, only slightly concerned that its a lethal weapon at the right angle;)

AlexandraBuckle
30-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Do you do hot work Alexandra? I defiantly recommend making a simple band, they are quite easy to get the hang of and very rewarding! I've made rings for people while they wait when they have been to my house just to prove how easy they are... I should probably stop doing that if I want to make any money#-o

I haven't done any hot work since uni as i don't have the space. Kinda scared I'll set the house on fire =:-O
I'd really like to start doing some though as cold work can be so limiting.
Think I will have to wait unitl we move into a bigger house though.

Charlotte
30-07-2009, 09:08 AM
I put off hot work for 5 years waiting for a suitable space, I just make safety rules for myself. And it was only a weird twist of fate that I started, otherwise I would have left it another 5 years! You don't need to get anything too expensive or scary for a little bit of soldering... Lol, I don't know why I keep going on about hot work to everyone, I just love it!#-o

MuranoSilver
30-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Lol - I think we should all get t-shirts
"We like it HOT"? Then again perhaps not, we'd get stopped by odd folk with macs :-p
Nic xx

Charlotte
30-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Lol, I think that should be our business slogan as well;) The t-shirt is definitely a good uniform idea for your shop=D>

SilverByRosie
04-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Oh wow! They look gorgeous!

Charlotte
04-08-2009, 07:09 PM
The wedding rings are fab. I am going to make both mine and my partners, well civil partnership not wedding rings.

Have 2 lovely padparadsha sapphires for the job which I shall collet set in each ring. I just hope I can achieve a lovely finish, will have to go rouge mad.
Ooooh when is the civil partnership? I never know what the difference is, I'm not getting married in a church though, thats fo sure!

I look forward to seeing the rings, I just saw your other work, I don't know how you can call yourself a beginner, its gorgeous!