PDA

View Full Version : Website feedback?

elliboo
20-02-2010, 06:34 PM
I have already had great advice and tips from this site, and enjoyed the last challenge. (I've got an enamelling kit ready for the next one - never tried that before and my kiln just arrived too!:dance:).

I wonder if I could ask for some feedback on my website (http://elliboo.co.uk) - It's definately a work in progress and the pages aren't all finished, but I'd hate to have to start from scratch if it's completely unusable - I've never built a site before. I have not quite got my head round the SEO yet, but that's a job for the next week.

Thanks in advance
Sharon

caroleallen
20-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Looks good to me.

lynnm
21-02-2010, 02:36 AM
Looks good to me to! =D>

Jemart
21-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Overall look is nice, though if I had to pick fault I'd say your homepage lacks impact - This is your shopfront and gives that all important first impression. I am not feeling the wow. The text is good to have for SEO purposes but it is hampering the aesthetics. Try putting a big picture at the top of the page with text and more small pics further down.

elliboo
21-02-2010, 10:00 AM
OK - I'll have a play around with bigger pics this afternoon.
Thanks everyone

OK - I've made the pics a bit bigger - does it make a difference?

Jemart
21-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Not much difference, sorry. Layout of the homepage needs a rethink.
If it were my page I would use less pics but much bigger, full screen for visual impact. Maybe change the front page pic regularly or have it auto changing between several pics (assuming sufficient tech savvy to do a slideshow thingy)
Try to bear in mind how you shop when you look at websites. For me it's all about the pics and if something catches my eye it is only then that I go read all the blurb. Having said that text content helps with google rankings.

agent_44
21-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Hi Sharon

I don't see that much of an issue with your home page, the way you have combined product images with your introductory text is quite nice, IMO.

I would suggest a couple of things though - you do have an awful lot of blurb on the front page, which might be better trimmed down (a user is more likely to read it all if there is less text and you could find it has more impact if the user doen't have to scroll down for ages to see all your product images and introductory info) and moved to your about page or somewhere else.

In terms of the layout, I would suggest that you looked at justifying the text differently, it may well flow better if you don't have everything centrally aligned. Also, the images etc underneath your menu are out of line with the menu and I think the page layout would be improved if you could fix this. Think of your page as non overlapping independent regions, and this will help you keep a clean tidy layout.

Hope that helps :)

elliboo
21-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks and LOL! Any better? - Bigger pictures, less text, justified differently and aligned - I think!

I 'm hoping that once it's done it won't be as much work to maintain it!

AlexandraBuckle
21-02-2010, 04:19 PM
looks good to me. I like your photos.

fiona davies
21-02-2010, 06:32 PM
lovely site....really nice pictures. I think with a jewellery site pphotography is the key and you have it spot on. Just a few pointers. I really hope you don't think I am being too critical:dance:
1. You need to change the meta tital and description - title 70 characters long - no more as search engines only read the first 70 characters. Description 170 characters long...for same reason.
2. How do you buy the fingerprint jewellery? I went to that page and could not order. This might put someone off and maybe loose a sale. You need to make sure the buying process is as SIMPLE as possible...you don't want people searching around your site trying to buy as they will leave very quickly!!!!
3. geet google analytics on your site. It will tell you where people came from, how they found you, how long they stayed on your site. Really useful stuff if you are going to market online...if not don't bother with it.

hope this helps

fiona

elliboo
21-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Ooh thank you - I think the links for the fingerprints must have been cut off below the scroll down - I'll do a swop around of the lay out.

I'm working on the meta tags and things over the next few days - aaargh - glad I'm not a web site designer! :)#-o:'(