PDA

View Full Version : gas cylinder for sievert torch?

daisychain
19-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Could any one please let me know a good source for a gas cylinder to go with the Sievert torch kit Sievert Torch Kit - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Sievert-Torch-Kit-prcode-999-AKZ1?)

There are so many sites with so many different sizes that my tired eyes are starting to blur!

Thanks in advance!

Emerald
19-02-2010, 09:26 PM
i would go either to a local garage or BQ or a local coal merchants they usually have propane, well they do here anyway, but first nip down the tip to see if they have any cannisters as these are the expensive bits x

ps_bond
19-02-2010, 09:41 PM
The caravan place beside Haskins/Hobbycraft is one of my usual sources. Any problems setting it up, give me a shout.

mizgeorge
19-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Flogas are good for new cannisters - very good value and they deliver.

daisychain
20-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Thank you all! I didn't want to assume that the DIY ones were ok.

Mr Bond, sir, you are a star! And thank you for the offer. I've set up similar ones at college, but I'll take you up on your offer if I get stuck. Although......going anywhere near Hobbycraft is very dangerous - I'm nearly as addicted to knitting as I am to all things silver!

Jo

Kwant
21-05-2010, 02:00 PM
I too have taken delivery of a Sievert torch, and there are a couple of things I cannot quite work out. It would appear I need some kind of snap fit connecter for the top of the gas bottle into which the regulator goes but I am unsure, the other thing I am a bit concerned about is that when looking at propane bottles it says they should not be stored in the house. As my workbench is in the house I think I may have chosen the wrong torch if I have to use propane.

Tabby66
24-05-2010, 09:05 PM
I've been lloking at investing in a sievert torch too, but like you Kwant, mine would be in the house. Is this a bad idea? Thanks
I too have taken delivery of a Sievert torch, and there are a couple of things I cannot quite work out. It would appear I need some kind of snap fit connecter for the top of the gas bottle into which the regulator goes but I am unsure, the other thing I am a bit concerned about is that when looking at propane bottles it says they should not be stored in the house. As my workbench is in the house I think I may have chosen the wrong torch if I have to use propane.

FVT
24-05-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm also on the verge of buying a Sievert torch kit...had a great tip which is a place called Hamiltons Gas in Ireland....but I too have the concern that I would ideally like to use it in the house....hopefully someone will come along soon to offer some advice before we all blow the roof off our houses :-O

daisychain
25-05-2010, 10:13 AM
I can't help about the house issue I'm afraid - I think that a look at your house insurance policies might be a good idea in case they prohibit them? Although, I'm not sure that they would be more dangerous than one of those gas cylinder heaters some people still use, and the gas cylinder that my aunt still uses for her cooker! My torch and gas cylinder are in my workshed.
I've found it very easy to use, and once I got over the "but the cylinder is so big compared to my old torch" fear I feel very confident using it. A couple of safety tips though - I always check the seals on my torch and on the cylinder before I use it each day. At the end of the day/session I close the valve on the bottle and vent the gas from the tube so that nothing is left in there overnight.
Kwant - I didn't need a snap fit or any other additional fitting than those that came with the torch kit. I took the torch along with me to the gas/camping shop to make certain.

Kwant
25-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks Jo good idea about checking with the insurance. As to the fitting I am wondering perhaps if the gas cylinders here in France are different from those in the UK, having never had any experience of them I do not know. However the father of a friend is a plumber so I have given the torch to him to see if he can work out which additional fitting I will need to be able to use it.

daisychain
25-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks Jo good idea about checking with the insurance. As to the fitting I am wondering perhaps if the gas cylinders here in France are different from those in the UK, having never had any experience of them I do not know. However the father of a friend is a plumber so I have given the torch to him to see if he can work out which additional fitting I will need to be able to use it.

I hadn't looked at your location - oops! I hope your friend's father can sort it out for you.

mizgeorge
27-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Sorry to be late here, but I have a feeling the French bottled gas is usually butane rather than propane, and uses a different connector (this is from memory of conversations with French lampworker friends). I'm not sure how well the torch will do with butane, which is slightly cooler and sometimes a little 'dirtier' than propane.