PDA

View Full Version : Precision Soldering with Minimal Heat transfer

Fusion
29-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows how to solder a joint on a pendant very quickly, I want to solder a small piece of tubing on the back of a pendant but must keep the heat transferred to the pendant at a minimum. This is because the pendant has a fine layer of gold foil fused to it and any heat transferred to it will diminish the gold into the silver.

Looking around the only option seems to be some form of welding but this seems quite expensive, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

ah, tried to upload a photo but I am unable as I haven't reached 5 posts yet.

julie
29-07-2009, 08:10 AM
you could add your photo to your album ??? so people can see and help , sorry can't help you i would have done it back to front and finished my work with the gold foil ..

Fusion
29-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Yeah I should have thought more about the making process.

The pendant has also been passed through a roll mill, so the soldering operation had to be last. I didn't realize that the gold will quickly sink into the silver with only a small amount of heat :'(

I have placed the problem in my album.

AlexandraBuckle
29-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Ok from someone who avoids soldering cos she hasn't got the equipment yet, I suggest a cold fixing like a handmade rivet.

ps_bond
29-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Sounds familiar... I hit the same thing with mokume (particularly if I've overheated the billet). Is an easier solder solder a possibility? I tend to get better results on things like that with pick soldering - possibly I'm getting better heat control. I've used Cool Gel (or Thermogel, or...) on the face of mokume before now in an effort to preserve the pattern; failing that - as suggested already - cold connections?!

julie
29-07-2009, 10:32 AM
think i'd better go and get myself the Hot and Cold Connections for Jewellers, maybe less soldering for me :-" very nice work tell us how you get on ...

Fusion
29-07-2009, 01:03 PM
think i'd better go and get myself the Hot and Cold Connections for Jewellers

I have that book in my hand now! purchased it ages ago and never looked at it much, but it's a good book and there may be solution in it somewhere.

Does anyone use the mini torch? I keep thinking that some sort of high intensity flame just to quickly solder the joint might work?

julie
29-07-2009, 01:20 PM
have you got any extra easy solder ??? not sure a mini torch will work you still have to heat the whole thing up might just take you longer risking damage to your gold foil ???

Fusion
29-07-2009, 03:05 PM
I don't think I have any extra easy solder, that is used for repair work?

Might have to get some if will help, thanks for the suggestion.

As soon as that foil gets too much heat it starts to fade, I guess I could have used thicker foil, then again that's more cost. I will have to have a think about.

Thanks again!

EmmaRose
29-07-2009, 05:13 PM
trouble is you still need whole piece to be warm.
1.)laser welding is not that bad, a small piece like that would probably be £5!
2.) cold connection- river, wire wrap etc
3.) riskier option, but a heat absorbtion paste like thermogel on the gold part.....
Em

Fusion
31-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Ok thanks for all the suggestions.

ben b
01-08-2009, 08:37 PM